Midwestern Biomedical Science MA, AZ 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V714

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I already put down my deposit and will be student in this program in coming August. Anyone else will be student on this program?

Anyone looking for roommate or has any recommendation if I should go for on or off campus? Their on-campus seems to be pretty clean and affordable if share. Even their 2 or 3 bedroom seems like a good deal if you share with someone so you get a better deal and be able to just walk to class like 5-10 min before class.
Is it worth it? Or I'll regret it? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I already put down my deposit and will be student in this program in coming August. Anyone else will be student on this program?

Anyone looking for roommate or has any recommendation if I should go for on or off campus? Their on-campus seems to be pretty clean and affordable if share. Even their 2 or 3 bedroom seems like a good deal if you share with someone so you get a better deal and be able to just walk to class like 5-10 min before class.
Is it worth it? Or I'll regret it? Any advice?

Hey there, I was accepted as well and will probably be attending. They have on-campus and there's apartments right across the street. I wouldn't mind rooming. Send me a message so I can get to know you a little bit.

The on-campus housing is pretty nice and cheap from what I have seen/heard. Also, you can't beat the convenience. I think I will be living off-campus though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The on-campus housing is pretty nice and cheap from what I have seen/heard. Also, you can't beat the convenience. I think I will be living off-campus though.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward San Lagos.

I got accepted to! Just wondering if there was a Facebook group for Midwestern Biomedical Science MA class of 2016?
I'm also looking for a roommate!

Hey everyone! I was thinking about applying to this program, but I was curious as to what everyone's stats were that have been accepted? I'm trying to decide if a one year program will be best for me before I re-apply to dental school this summer. I applied to both Midwestern schools this past cycle! Also, has anyone heard from previous or current students in this program and their thoughts about it?

Hey everyone! I was thinking about applying to this program, but I was curious as to what everyone's stats were that have been accepted? I'm trying to decide if a one year program will be best for me before I re-apply to dental school this summer. I applied to both Midwestern schools this past cycle! Also, has anyone heard from previous or current students in this program and their thoughts about it?

I had a 3.2 cumulative/ 3.1 BCP. DAT was a 19. I applied in early February, interviewed middle of February and was accepted a week later. I'm re-applying to school, retaking the DAT, and planning on doing the Master's as my GPA is lacking.

They have new linkage agreements with the school, basically saying they have to take 10 people from the Biomed program. To auto-qualify for that, you need a 3.6 in the first 2 quarters and a DAT score of 118(total of all sections). From what I've heard from a few people in the program, they felt it was very difficult but they felt it really prepared them for dental school. They enjoyed the school and felt the professors were really helpful.

Thanks! My GPAs are pretty much the same as yours so I was debating about doing a one year post bacc or pursuing a second undergrad degree. The only thing that really turns me off about the school is that its so expensive! But I guess that's expected with private schools, thanks again!

Thanks! My GPAs are pretty much the same as yours so I was debating about doing a one year post bacc or pursuing a second undergrad degree. The only thing that really turns me off about the school is that its so expensive! But I guess that's expected with private schools, thanks again!

I would recommend just applying to the program anyway. That way, if you do get accepted, you'll still have the option between this program or pursuing a second undergrad degree. Plus, not sure if you know this but since you applied to both schools, you can request them to have your AADSAS application transferred over to the Biomedical Science application, and your application fee will also be waived. Email the schools and they'll ask you to fill out a quick form and answer a short essay question about 'why have you decided to pursue a degree in biomedical science'.

I would recommend just applying to the program anyway. That way, if you do get accepted, you'll still have the option between this program or pursuing a second undergrad degree. Plus, not sure if you know this but since you applied to both schools, you can request them to have your AADSAS application transferred over to the Biomedical Science application, and your application fee will also be waived. Email the schools and they'll ask you to fill out a quick form and answer a short essay question about 'why have you decided to pursue a degree in biomedical science'.

Yup! I'm leaning towards the Arizona campus anyway because I have family close by. I just need to write out my essay. Thanks for the info though! :)

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on the short essay? Like would it be okay to mention your overall goal about getting into dental school and the program being a stepping stone in that process?

Last edited:
Yup! I'm leaning towards the Arizona campus anyway because I have family close by. I just need to write out my essay. Thanks for the info though! :)

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on the short essay? Like would it be okay to mention your overall goal about getting into dental school and the program being a stepping stone in that process?

Yeah, that's definitely okay. I pretty much wrote something similar along those lines but for medical school instead. Good luck! Lemme know if you have any more specific questions?

Does anyone know when the program starts? August or is it September?

Members don't see this ad :)
Free Microsoft Office (up to 5 devices) for student with .edu email account for participating university (MWU is one of them). I just got mine setup on phone, tablet, and laptop. Just thought I share with you guys. Just one thing, don't save to the sharepoint, or school onedrive disk area and they won't see what your files. Just remember to save it locally to your laptop or phone and your privacy will be intact.

http://products.office.com/en-us/student?tab=students

MWU just replied that there is a long wait list for it though and that there is a low chance of landing one...

Anyone here going to attend 2 upcoming dental school open house in ca?

Hi, I will be attending in the fall and was wondering if anyone knew if there is a dress code for classes. I've heard of some programs having a business/business casual dress code so I'm wondering what the students typically wear so I can prepare! I'm coming from Ohio so I have to stock up on warm weather clothes!

hey all so i was denied from CCOM and decided to send my info over for the MA program, and my file for that was completed last week. I just logged into the midwestern university portal now and clicked on admissions and underneath post accepted i clicked on matriculation/payment and a matriculation agreement popped up with info regarding deposits and the beginning of the agreement starting with: The College of Health Sciences hereby offers to admit ---------- as a candidate for theMaster of Arts in Biomedical Sciences, Class of 2016 commencing in the Fall Term of 2015 subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein.
Does this mean I got accepted into the program?? I never recieved any email or phone call regarding this decision even though in the email that said my file was complete it noted I would recieve an email/call about a decision.
Under accepted student checklist it says a payment amount of 750$ was due on april 30th 2015. I'm so confused!! Someone please help (also I'm a pre-med applicant)

hey all so i was denied from CCOM and decided to send my info over for the MA program, and my file for that was completed last week. I just logged into the midwestern university portal now and clicked on admissions and underneath post accepted i clicked on matriculation/payment and a matriculation agreement popped up with info regarding deposits and the beginning of the agreement starting with: The College of Health Sciences hereby offers to admit ---------- as a candidate for theMaster of Arts in Biomedical Sciences, Class of 2016 commencing in the Fall Term of 2015 subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein.
Does this mean I got accepted into the program?? I never recieved any email or phone call regarding this decision even though in the email that said my file was complete it noted I would recieve an email/call about a decision.
Under accepted student checklist it says a payment amount of 750$ was due on april 30th 2015. I'm so confused!! Someone please help (also I'm a pre-med applicant)

It sounds like you've been accepted! It's likely the decision to accept you went out Friday and they just haven't called you yet. I'd give them a call on Monday when the offices are open to confirm.

Reactions: 1 user
I think so. It's likely you got accepted. I remember the $750 and matriculation page didn't show up until they accepted you. If you can pay and see more option, you know you are in...and get ready to pack.

Yup, you're in! The Midwestern in Downers Grove doesn't do any phone interviews for this program. Like you, my portal was updated with the matriculation page first before receiving a congratulatory email. Expect an official acceptance email within the next couple days.

Hi, I will be attending in the fall and was wondering if anyone knew if there is a dress code for classes. I've heard of some programs having a business/business casual dress code so I'm wondering what the students typically wear so I can prepare! I'm coming from Ohio so I have to stock up on warm weather clothes!

This is the dress code policy I found in their student handbook.

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/SS/ssSH_policy.htm#43

thanks for the responses guys!
I'm now trying to weigh my options....I have a tcmc mbs interview on may 4th, past the deadline for my deposit here, I'm also still awaiting an LECOM decision, EVMS, Drexel DPMS, USF BMS, USF and Rutgers.
Unfortunately for me I have a 23 MCAT and 3.2 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa and I'm trying to wrap my head around which post bac will be best for me (mostly likely going to shoot for DO, MD is out of the question)
Since LECOM has that guaranteed interview with 3.0 in their program and 23 MCAT should I shoot for LECOM? I know the MA at CCOM only gives out interviews if you're in 1 standard deviation of the accepted class that yr (last yr was 29 i believe so I'd need a 26 at least) but I've been reading some negative things about the LECOM postbac from students that have posted on sdn regarding things like teachers dont care for the postbacs as much, compared to MWU MA where students generally rated their profs high, and TCMC MBS where students said the profs wanted their students to succeed into getting in a med school whether MD or DO.
Basically does anyone believe mwu ma would boost my application in order for the lower tier DO schools this coming app cycle?

Accepted today! Interviewed last week.

thanks for the responses guys!
I'm now trying to weigh my options....I have a tcmc mbs interview on may 4th, past the deadline for my deposit here, I'm also still awaiting an LECOM decision, EVMS, Drexel DPMS, USF BMS, USF and Rutgers.
Unfortunately for me I have a 23 MCAT and 3.2 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa and I'm trying to wrap my head around which post bac will be best for me (mostly likely going to shoot for DO, MD is out of the question)
Since LECOM has that guaranteed interview with 3.0 in their program and 23 MCAT should I shoot for LECOM? I know the MA at CCOM only gives out interviews if you're in 1 standard deviation of the accepted class that yr (last yr was 29 i believe so I'd need a 26 at least) but I've been reading some negative things about the LECOM postbac from students that have posted on sdn regarding things like teachers dont care for the postbacs as much, compared to MWU MA where students generally rated their profs high, and TCMC MBS where students said the profs wanted their students to succeed into getting in a med school whether MD or DO.
Basically does anyone believe mwu ma would boost my application in order for the lower tier DO schools this coming app cycle?

I'm in a similar situation as you are and I'm waiting on several postbacs/Masters as well. I think you should consider that if you do well in a masters (we're talking >3.7 by completion) your chance of receiving an interview to various DO programs is good and the guarantee is not necessary. What you might want to consider is how much you're going to be spending. AZCOM and CCOM are very established DO programs, but at the price that the masters program here is one of the most expensive at about $38k for tuition not counting cost of living.

Phone interview scheduled for next Wednesday 4/22.

Hoping all of those that have done the interviews by now could share some tips/advice/a heads up.....from the digging around I did, I am under the impression that it is more of a formality??

Thanks and kudos to all who have been accepted =)

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the second year would be like? I read the curriculum, but it didn't say too much about what kind of research we will be doing. I am not sure which program is right for me to prepare for medical schools.

Thanks

Hoping all of those that have done the interviews by now could share some tips/advice/a heads up.....from the digging around I did, I am under the impression that it is more of a formality??

It was pretty laid back, asked about myself (activities, school, etc.) and future plans and why I had applied to the program. He explained the program as well as the 2 year program, it almost seemed as if he was pushing the 2 year program, maybe to check that I knew the differences (not specifics) between them and I was sure the 1 year was what I thought was best for myself. He made sure I knew about the interview agreement (which has changed since my interview in Jan.) and then finished with asking if I had any questions and asked if I had any concerns about the program difficulty or anything like that. It lasted about 30 min.

Reactions: 1 users

My interview was just like Dr.Dog's! The interviewer gave me the impression that there is a set list of questions, so there shouldn't be any surprises. He also told me that this was a closed file interview, so he knew NOTHING about me. The interview was very conversational, lasted about 30 minutes.

It was pretty laid back, asked about myself (activities, school, etc.) and future plans and why I had applied to the program. He explained the program as well as the 2 year program, it almost seemed as if he was pushing the 2 year program, maybe to check that I knew the differences (not specifics) between them and I was sure the 1 year was what I thought was best for myself. He made sure I knew about the interview agreement (which has changed since my interview in Jan.) and then finished with asking if I had any questions and asked if I had any concerns about the program difficulty or anything like that. It lasted about 30 min.

Interview agreement?

My interview was just like Dr.Dog's! The interviewer gave me the impression that there is a set list of questions, so there shouldn't be any surprises. He also told me that this was a closed file interview, so he knew NOTHING about me. The interview was very conversational, lasted about 30 minutes.

Thank you...this puts me a bit more at ease....good luck!! Wish you the best.

Interview agreement?

They HAD an interview agreement, I believe it was kept a 3.0 in the first two quarters and have a DAT score within 1 SD of their avg and you would be guaranteed an interview for the dental school that cycle. They have since changed it, they now have more of an "acceptance" agreement. I was sent a copy of the agreement and it states that the dental school will reserve 10 spots for the biomed students (I'm pretty sure there is always less than 10 pre dents in the program) and you are guaranteed one of those seats if you have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.6 through winter quarter of the biomedical program, DAT AA 20, RC 20, and total DAT of 118, and perform "above average" on the interview.

Just turned down my acceptance today - hopefully it goes to one of you!

For those who have heard back, how long after the phone interview did you receive your admissions decision? And is there a deadline to pay the deposit by if you are accepted?

It's been 2 weeks since my interview, and I'm starting to get antsy. I'm going out of town later this week, so I'm trying to decide if I should send Admissions a quick email asking about my status.

It took about 2 weeks for me to hear back about my status so you should be reaching that ballpark soon. Keep checking your online portal, it'll actually update with your accepted status before they call you in most cases. You'll have about 2 weeks from when you're accepted to pay the deposit ($750).

It took about 2 weeks for me to hear back about my status so you should be reaching that ballpark soon. Keep checking your online portal, it'll actually update with your accepted status before they call you in most cases. You'll have about 2 weeks from when you're accepted to pay the deposit ($750).
OK, thanks! :)

I am 1 week in waiting and time couldn't go by any slower. Our chances have to be real good, right? Sending positive vibes into the universe :soexcited:

I am 1 week in waiting and time couldn't go by any slower. Our chances have to be real good, right? Sending positive vibes into the universe :soexcited:

I contacted the office, and they told me that the admissions committee will be meeting late next week! Just letting you know in case you're curious. :D

I contacted the office, and they told me that the admissions committee will be meeting late next week! Just letting you know in case you're curious. :D

Thank you! More waiting more waiting. Cheers =)

I just got an email for an interview! Any advice? I'm scheduled for Friday morning! Also, do they not specify the time? So will they just call sometime between the time frames given?

Last edited:
I just got an email for an interview! Any advice? I'm scheduled for Friday morning! Also, do they not specify the time? So will they just call sometime between the time frames given?
No, they don't specify the time... other than giving the 2 hour window. My interviewer was late calling me since he got backed up with other interviews. Also, if you're in a different time zone make note! I ended up waiting an extra hour since I forgot about the time difference!

Check out previous posts for advice on the interview. The interviews seem to have been pretty chill and conversational for most people.

Good luck!

No, they don't specify the time... other than giving the 2 hour window. My interviewer was late calling me since he got backed up with other interviews. Also, if you're in a different time zone make note! I ended up waiting an extra hour since I forgot about the time difference!

Check out previous posts for advice on the interview. The interviews seem to have been pretty chill and conversational for most people.

Good luck!
Yeah I'm in central time zone, thanks for the advice! I appreciate it :)

Just as everyone else experienced...conversational...asking you why you see yourself in that program compared to the MBS program. Pretty standard questions....make them laugh...can't hurt, right? Good luck !

Just as everyone else experienced...conversational...asking you why you see yourself in that program compared to the MBS program. Pretty standard questions....make them laugh...can't hurt, right? Good luck !

Haha yeah you're right! Ill be sure to do that :) thanks!

I called admissions today to talk to them about statistics of M.A. people getting into AZCOM or CCOM. Here is what I found out, 85-90% of masters students *eventually* get accepted into a professional program (she was vague on this part...I'm guessing that students don't always get accepted on the first try). Last year, the graduating class of 2014 had 26 students out of 96 admitted into AZCOM. Keep in mind they do not have information on how many of those 96 applied for AZCOM...or even how many got accepted to CCOM or any other DO or MD school. When I interviewed, my interviewer said there is generally a good 50/50 split of pre-dental and pre-med students...with a few pre-PA, pre-podiatry, and pre-optometry students here-and-there. Unfortunately, the school does not keep statistics of masters students matriculating into any of the various professional programs...

As far as the MCAT goes, the last cohort's average MCAT was a 29. For masters students thinking about the 1 standard deviation, it was a 26. So, minimum to get an interview you would need a 26 MCAT and a 3.0 gpa in the program.

For orientation in August they should have a better idea of what score we will need for the MCAT if anyone hopes to apply to AZCOM or CCOM. For this application cycle (entering 2016) they expect to have equivalencies for the new MCAT exam by the first quarter, probably September/October.

If anyone has different/better information I would love to read it! This is just what I have gathered from talking to a MWU Biomedical Science Representative. I think a current student in the M.A. program might have better insight for those of us starting the program in August.

I called admissions today to talk to them about statistics of M.A. people getting into AZCOM or CCOM. Here is what I found out, 85-90% of masters students *eventually* get accepted into a professional program (she was vague on this part...I'm guessing that students don't always get accepted on the first try). Last year, the graduating class of 2014 had 26 students out of 96 admitted into AZCOM. Keep in mind they do not have information on how many of those 96 applied for AZCOM...or even how many got accepted to CCOM or any other DO or MD school. When I interviewed, my interviewer said there is generally a good 50/50 split of pre-dental and pre-med students...with a few pre-PA, pre-podiatry, and pre-optometry students here-and-there. Unfortunately, the school does not keep statistics of masters students matriculating into any of the various professional programs...

As far as the MCAT goes, the last cohort's average MCAT was a 29. For masters students thinking about the 1 standard deviation, it was a 26. So, minimum to get an interview you would need a 26 MCAT and a 3.0 gpa in the program.

For orientation in August they should have a better idea of what score we will need for the MCAT if anyone hopes to apply to AZCOM or CCOM. For this application cycle (entering 2016) they expect to have equivalencies for the new MCAT exam by the first quarter, probably September/October.

If anyone has different/better information I would love to read it! This is just what I have gathered from talking to a MWU Biomedical Science Representative. I think a current student in the M.A. program might have better insight for those of us starting the program in August.

Thanks Jane for sharing your information! I briefly spoke with a current MA student who will be matriculating into AZCOM this upcoming fall and he told me that almost everyone in his class got an interview invite around March and were scheduled to interview around end of April or early May. He says it's looking like 85% of the class is waitlisted. That being said, he heard that MA and MBS students get moved to the top of the waitlist generally but he's uncertain about this. And from what he's heard from the previous year was that 28/29 DO people off waitlist got in but that's kind of hearsay.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing as well! Yea, I wish they had better statistical information, but the admissions representative I spoke with said not every student reports their status after the program. I just like having as much information as possible since this is a huge financial and time investment. I want to know that I have a good chance matriculating into med school in Fall 2016 if I work my butt off!

Thank you for sharing! I had asked admissions the same thing previously and received a rather vague response.

I'm a bit surprised that only 26/96 students were accepted into AZCOM; that's a lot less than I expected.

I'm a bit surprised that only 26/96 students were accepted into AZCOM; that's a lot less than I expected.

I just wonder how many of the 96 were pre-med. Many could have been pre-dental, pre-PA, etc.

I just wonder how many of the 96 were pre-med. Many could have been pre-dental, pre-PA, etc.

Yeah knowing how many were premed in the program would help. Here's a statistics the school has for the program: I still think the outcome is pretty good.

https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/az-master-of-arts-in-biomedical-science.html

GRADUATION RATE (2014)
Seventy-six of the 96 students (79%) matriculating in the class of 2014 graduated from the Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences degree program on time.

MWU OUTCOMES (2014)
Sixty-four of the 74 (86%) students graduating in the 2014 class have been accepted into professional school, including: medical, dental, podiatry, pharmacy and physician assistant programs.

Data obtained from Midwestern University matriculation records and annual exit interviews. Fourteen percent (14%) have not communicated their career status with the program.