Midmichigan Health FM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okokok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know much about this four-year, unopposed program? Besides what's on the site. I just discovered it and am interested in the extended curriculum and the emphasis on procedural skills. I'd love to hear any impressions, whether firsthand or obtained through the grapevine. Feel free to private message if you prefer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there. I would strongly recommend against making this program anyone's first choice. They have very little to offer for that extra year of residency, and when asked specifically what the benefits were to this, they could not provide very good answers.

I got a bad vibe from the program overall. The whole interview day I couldn't help but get the feeling they were trying very hard to put the best possible face on everything, when in actuality no one was happy there.

The town is (or was?) the home of DuPont chemical or something like that. There's a lot of cool 50's-style homes for such a small town, if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'll never forget what the PC said on our tour around the town: "There are some days when there's a chemical spill and they'll tell you you can't open your house windows for a few days or go outside much, but that's really no bog deal."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really any reason to do a four year Family Medicine residency other than sheer masochism? Considering that there are nurse practitioners out there who are getting their DNP degrees 100% online, and many states think that is totally sufficient for NPs to work independently as primary care "doctors", I don't see why a physician wouldn't be sufficiently trained after "just" 3 years of FM residency.

If you do have knowledge gaps after residency, I don't see why you couldn't address that with a fellowship and/or CME.

Bring up a good point, but just because DNP's can "do it online", and people get by in 3.. doesn't mean that they're just as good.

If one plans to practice in a rural setting (all settings), perhaps an added year of FM training under supervision is not a bad gig.

Granted, not everyone needs it.. but it can only help.

Also, fellowship =/= use to address gaps in knowledge. Smh. Because that would mean nephrologists actually had a gap in knowledge in nephrology (as compared to an internists) which they used 3 years of their life to "fill those gaps" to become a good internist. Common now lol.

I wouldn't say that most people do a fellowship to fill in gaps in knowledge - just that it could certainly be one reason that someone might want to do a fellowship. For example, if you feel like you need more training as an FM doc in OB to be able to comfortably see OB patients in a rural area, there are OB fellowships and it would make more sense to me for someone to do that than spend another year in residency.
I just feel like the general trend of demanding more and more training/certification/education from doctors while meanwhile our healthcare system is increasingly bringing in midlevel providers with a fraction of the knowledge and training is utterly ridiculous.

Last edited:
They can have a 5-year FM residency as far as I am concerned. Physicians are their worst enemies. You will always find someone who will try to justify these things by saying in Australia or some other places FM residency is 5-year without mentioning that these people don't put in nearly as many hours as US residents...

Last edited: