Midlevels in Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How common are midlevels in Oncology? I am talking about deciding on cancer treatments for cancer patients.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if they decide on the therapy plan for patients without attending oversight. At my institution, we have a plethora of midlevels, but they don't see patients independently.

Honestly, for simple oncology cases, it is relatively protocol-based, so I can see how this is a possibility in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
A seasoned midlevel in a tumor-specific clinic will often make the right decisions for patients. Still an MD has to sign off on a new treatment or change in treatment.

It's fairly common to see them where I am currently training. They're often on inpatient playing a similar role to residents (and generally do a pretty great job where I'm at) or in the clinics seeing patients for follow-up appointments after they get into their treatment. I've seen NPs/PAs discuss changes in treatments with the attending but it's really the primary oncologist's job to sign off and decide on where to go next if something isn't working.