Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got mine done today. They said I should get my results at the end of this week. Oh and did the tb test, but have to go back Wednesday for them to see if it's pos/neg. I was about to do the blood tb test, but it was $320 more than the normal skin test lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I did the TB skin test already when I was working at a hospital, fortunately. I thought I was going to stab a fool when they told me I had to come into the office to get the mm results for each test and then I get there and they act like I'm ruining their day asking for a piece of paper that says 0mm on it.
Bruh get on that asap. I failed my Hep B titer and had to start the 6 month sequence.
Yeah...wouldn't be surprised if this happens to me. I just moved out here Saturday so I'm not wasting any time

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Guys I need help! I'm a Canadian citizen and had the hardest time trying to get a credit card here in the USA. I don't have a SSN and zero credit history in the US. I already got declined by two banks. What cards did you guys get?? Will I be able to get one with some reward/cash back on it?

Guys, for the hep B, you need paperwork showing all three shots AND titer to prove immunity. I passed the titer but still had to do the six month sequence because I didn't have paperwork for my shots done from 25 years ago.

For Canadian students: you need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee before using your I-20 to come into the US. If you get to the border without that fees-paid receipt, you can't even just simply turn back to Canada to find a computer/internet connection to pay because then they will have to do a formal refusal of your entry and you'll have so much trouble later on. Seriously, I didn't know I had to pay it and I was literally stranded at the Canadian-US border for 3 hours trying to get some sort of internet plan on my phone so I can pay the damn fee. It's $200 USD so budget that in your plans.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, for the hep B, you need paperwork showing all three shots AND titer to prove immunity. I passed the titer but still had to do the six month sequence because I didn't have paperwork for my shots done from 25 years ago.

For Canadian students: you need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee before using your I-20 to come into the US. If you get to the border without that fees-paid receipt, you can't even just simply turn back to Canada to find a computer/internet connection to pay because then they will have to do a formal refusal of your entry and you'll have so much trouble later on. Seriously, I didn't know I had to pay it and I was literally stranded at the Canadian-US border for 3 hours trying to get some sort of internet plan on my phone so I can pay the damn fee. It's $200 USD so budget that in your plans.

Thanks for letting us know. How do you pay this SEVIS fee?

Also, some of the border officers are under the impression that you need to have the second page of the I-20 signed prior to initial entry. This isn't true and you can find proof of this on the Department of Homeland Security website. Just the first page with your signature and the signature of the lady who compiles our I-20 is required for initial entry and for the processing of the I-94 slip they put in your passport. But, once you make your initial entry you must go (to East Lansing) to get the second page signed to leave the USA/enter once again. Just thought I'd let you guys know because I was stuck at the border for like 4 hours yesterday trying to figure this out. It turned out that the officers were actually incorrect.

Do you mean like how do we get the money? Direct deposit enrollment is on stuinfo, i think you have to be on campus wifi in order to access that part tho. Ive heard we'll get it about a week or so before class. But to just see/accept the aid its all on stuinfo, under financial aid. If you have accepted your aid already the bill will be handled by the school/financial aid, then the rest will get deposited whenever thats supposed to be before class starts

This is a bit annoying as I don't have time to drive to campus to get access to their wifi. I won't be on campus until June 7. So annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a bit annoying as I don't have time to drive to campus to get access to their wifi. I won't be on campus until June 7. So annoying.
I called like 3 weeks ago and got it set up. They were like "well...the refunds don't go out until closer to the start of classes in June..."

Don't care! Another thing crossed off the list!

Going to go get my titers tomorrow. Woo.

Guys I need help! I'm a Canadian citizen and had the hardest time trying to get a credit card here in the USA. I don't have a SSN and zero credit history in the US. I already got declined by two banks. What cards did you guys get?? Will I be able to get one with some reward/cash back on it?

You'll need to go to an SSA office to get an SSN. Do you have any family here? You could have them add you as an authorized user on just about any card for free....although this is only with someone that trusts you. Otherwise you can get a lousy secured credit card. Discover has an alright one that earns 1% back on most things if I recall correctly.

I called like 3 weeks ago and got it set up. They were like "well...the refunds don't go out until closer to the start of classes in June..."

Don't care! Another thing crossed off the list!

Going to go get my titers tomorrow. Woo.
Did you call MSU's general financial aid office or Student Dev.

Did you call MSU's general financial aid office or Student Dev.
When I clicked to set up the refund or direct deposit in STUInfo it took me to an error page. I called that phone number. The woman said you can do it on the university WiFi but I just told her I live(d) like 100 miles away and would prefer to get it done now.

When I clicked to set up the refund or direct deposit in STUInfo it took me to an error page. I called that phone number. The woman said you can do it on the university WiFi but I just told her I live(d) like 100 miles away and would prefer to get it done now.
I don't think I have that level of savage. You must have trouble walking Dr moose.

Anyone know what orientation consists of?

Try connecting to vpn.msu.edu before clicking on the link-- that may work.

Members don't see this ad :)

RBC offers a US visa account!!

Anyone know what orientation consists of?

Approximately ~100 talks on professionalism and how much your life is going to change and how your relationships are all over. (Pretty much a scare tactic ). Oh and the "I'm not your father" speech.

It was pretty long, semi-boring and repetitive

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
But it is day one of med school, there is zero pressure and you get to meet your big sib and members of the class of 2020 so you'll like it

Have any of you seen the indebtness pdf of the class of 2020?

Does your uphys say non-compliant on Hep B? I heard you can't start school if you're not compliant

Yeah it says non-compliant, where did you hear that? I spoke with the people at the uphys office and made sure they knew i was receiving my boosters and they made it seem like that i could start school but theyd just be reminding me every month or so about my non-compliancy

Yeah it says non-compliant, where did you hear that? I spoke with the people at the uphys office and made sure they knew i was receiving my boosters and they made it seem like that i could start school but theyd just be reminding me every month or so about my non-compliancy

Yeah, my understanding is that as long as they know you're in the process of correcting whatever deficiency you have you'll be ok to go.

Just got mine done today. They said I should get my results at the end of this week. Oh and did the tb test, but have to go back Wednesday for them to see if it's pos/neg. I was about to do the blood tb test, but it was $320 more than the normal skin test lol.

I probably should've asked how much that test was before I requested it. My wife is going to literally kill me.

Reactions: 2 users

**** sorry I was just messing with you ahahahaha didn't mean to make you have a heart attack

Anyone know what the most recent average MCAT/GPA info is?

They might release an end-of-cycle stats, but based on last year's cycle and so far in this year's cycle, the average science GPA is 3.6+ (probably ~3.65), and MCAT probably a 506/507. Off the website, it states that 3.5-3.7 and 505-507 are the general acceptances ranges. Keep in mind that MSU is a state public school, so there's strong IS preference, therefore you probably need higher numbers if you're OOS.

They might release an end-of-cycle stats, but based on last year's cycle and so far in this year's cycle, the average science GPA is 3.6+ (probably ~3.65), and MCAT probably a 506/507. Off the website, it states that 3.5-3.7 and 505-507 are the general acceptances ranges. Keep in mind that MSU is a state public school, so there's strong IS preference, therefore you probably need higher numbers if you're OOS.
That's like MD besides MCAT. Strange.

I was just looking at the Anatomy course syllabus and am a bit confused. Are all the lectures recorded, meaning that we can watch it at a later time? In the syllabus, it says you get a zero if you miss clicker sessions (which occur during class) and that attendance is mandatory. So, you can't miss a class and watch it later? or are lectures on certain days mandatory while other days are not? I'm confused since some students have told me that they have missed classes and watched the lectures at home. I don't intend to, but would just like to have this clarified just the same. Thanks!

I went with RBC. They are linked to PNC in the U.S., so you can get a RBC credit card and use it with PNC.

I was just looking at the Anatomy course syllabus and am a bit confused. Are all the lectures recorded, meaning that we can watch it at a later time? In the syllabus, it says you get a zero if you miss clicker sessions (which occur during class) and that attendance is mandatory. So, you can't miss a class and watch it later? or are lectures on certain days mandatory while other days are not? I'm confused since some students have told me that they have missed classes and watched the lectures at home. I don't intend to, but would just like to have this clarified just the same. Thanks!

From what I heard, when the class is held in the lab it becomes mandatory and iclicker questions are administered during those classes

They told me the blood test for TB was $65 without insurance. Was your test in the lab or from some shady character in an alley somewhere? I called to ask my insurance if it was covered but as usual they have no idea.

Also, lol @ this

"oh, you failed the titer test which 50% of people randomly tested will. Sorry, you along with 50% of the class are banned. Go home"

They told me the blood test for TB was $65 without insurance. Was your test in the lab or from some shady character in an alley somewhere? I called to ask my insurance if it was covered but as usual they have no idea.

Also, lol @ this

"oh, you failed the titer test which 50% of people randomly tested will. Sorry, you along with 50% of the class are banned. Go home"

Hahahaha mine was at my doctor's office and they have a 3rd party company do the lab/blood work. Lady said it was over $300 for blood TB test and $10 for skin TB test. Of course they didn't know how much my insurance would cover. So I went with the skin test because I didn't feel like dealing with it. There's a good chance the lady didn't know what she was talking about, she seemed new lol.

Hahahaha mine was at my doctor's office and they have a 3rd party company do the lab/blood work. Lady said it was over $300 for blood TB test and $10 for skin TB test. Of course they didn't know how much my insurance would cover. So I went with the skin test because I didn't feel like dealing with it. There's a good chance the lady didn't know what she was talking about, she seemed new lol.

It's 300$ for a pelvic exam. Maybe you came across weird...

You have lectures and labs.

The lectures are not mandatory and can be viewed live at class or home and they are also recorded so you can watch them anytime you want and speed them up.

The lab is mandatory and there is a clicker quiz at the end. You get to drop your lowest (3?) scores so if you miss a lab that will be your drop.

We have to wear a name badge whenever we're on campus???? Lol

"Apparel such as jeans and sweatshirts/t-shirts (without holes) may be worn by students and on select occasions with approval of the Associate Dean by faculty and staff"

T-shirt life continuing strong

Is the name badge thing a troll?

Last edited:
"Apparel such as jeans and sweatshirts/t-shirts (without holes) may be worn by students and on select occasions with approval of the Associate Dean by faculty and staff"

T-shirt life continuing strong

Is the name badge thing a troll?
I'm pretty sure ID badges are required at DMC since it's on a hospital campus but we certainly never had such things in East Lansing...

Just wondering if any current students could comment on T-Mobile's reception in the east lansing/MSU area?