Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, have you posted your stats/ECs on this forum?

-Fellow Canadian applying next cycle :)
3.6 and 510:) But I think I have decent ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this question has been asked yet. Sorry if it was. I was wondering if the scrubs (from the orientation materials list) are a must for the summer semester. Also, if we do have to buy it, can we buy it outside of MSUCOM? Does it need to have the MSUCOM logo? And does it have to be 'Light Jade Green'?

I don't know if this question has been asked yet. Sorry if it was. I was wondering if the scrubs (from the orientation materials list) are a must for the summer semester. Also, if we do have to buy it, can we buy it outside of MSUCOM? Does it need to have the MSUCOM logo? And does it have to be 'Light Jade Green'?
You can use any scrubs you'd like; they don't have the be the official MSU ones. I don't think you need scrubs either as we had the option to wear either scrubs or our long lab coat over street clothes in the anatomy lab.

Hi guys. Soo because I'm OOS it's been difficult for me to plan a trip to michigan to do the fingerprinting. How long does it normally take for the results to come out and be sent to MSU? I'm thinking of doing it at the end of May when I move in into East Lansing.

Hi guys. Soo because I'm OOS it's been difficult for me to plan a trip to michigan to do the fingerprinting. How long does it normally take for the results to come out and be sent to MSU? I'm thinking of doing it at the end of May when I move in into East Lansing.
It's done digitally so it should be pretty quick. I expect you'll be totally fine to do it once you move as I saw someone else in your situation called to get it figured out and that's what they said afterwards.

Unrelated, anyone see that $450 tuition credit from the seat deposit anywhere on their billing yet?

A question for current OOS students...

I understand that there is NO way for OOS students to establish residency in Michigan in order to qualify for in-state tuition. So with this in mind, how soon after moving to MI did you get a MI driver's license or MI license plate (if at all)?

Thanks in advance for your response(s)!

Reactions: 2 users
Would someone mind giving me an idea of my likelyhood of getting into MSUCOM? im a canandian applicant and MSU is my top pick. Not sure what my gpa is since the conversion, i think it might be anywhere from 3.4 to 3.5. Mcat is 506 and i have some good ECs, lots of shadowing, and i just submitted my primary today :) thanks

Hey! I'm Canadian too and I was admitted this past cycle! I think you have a chance at getting in, but your GPA and MCAT are only slightly competitive for a Canadian applicant. Others Canadians I know who were offered admission, including myself, had a ~3.6+ GPA and a ~508+ MCAT. But that's only n=4! That said, MSUCOM places a lot of importance on clinical experience, shadowing, and EC's (as well as the essays that come with the secondary), so I think you have a chance, especially for an interview invite! Just impress them there and you're good to go. If anything, try to boost your GPA/experiences throughout the upcoming application cycle as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I'm Canadian too and I was admitted this past cycle! I think you have a chance at getting in, but your GPA and MCAT are only slightly competitive for a Canadian applicant. Others Canadians I know who were offered admission, including myself, had a ~3.6+ GPA and a ~508+ MCAT. But that's only n=4! That said, MSUCOM places a lot of importance on clinical experience, shadowing, and EC's (as well as the essays that come with the secondary), so I think you have a chance, especially for an interview invite! Just impress them there and you're good to go. If anything, try to boost your GPA/experiences throughout the upcoming application cycle as well. Good luck!

Make it n=5 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? So they consider everything at once? Both primary and secondary application?

Yes. It is a combination of the primary and secondary which provides a decision for the interview invite. So, if you feel something is lacking in your primary, I would advise to make up for it in your secondary. Best of luck! :)

Yo fam how do we get access to our student loans we are going to use for rent and booze?

Is anyone having trouble logging in to the Student Portal on the COM website? I can log in to the StuInfo link just fine.

Some of this is so frustrating. How long is our July 4 break? One day? How do we see our weekly schedule of classes?

Because it's scary!

This is all I see.

• US17-ANTR-510-Clin Hum Gross Anat Palp Skill (All campuses) (starts Jun 12, 2017 1:00 AM)

You can't access your schedule unless you complete that training.
How am I going to make it through medical school if I can't figure out how to see my schedule?

Reactions: 4 users
How am I going to make it through medical school if I can't figure out how to see my schedule?

You don't, you usually find out something a gonna happen the day before , well at least I did

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also what's the point of having one day off for the 4th if it's a Tuesday? I'd rather have a long weekend
I'm gonna rescind my matriculation and my paid tuition.

Yo fam how do we get access to our student loans we are going to use for rent and booze?
There's no way you're all trust fund babies.

There's no way you're all trust fund babies.

Do you mean like how do we get the money? Direct deposit enrollment is on stuinfo, i think you have to be on campus wifi in order to access that part tho. Ive heard we'll get it about a week or so before class. But to just see/accept the aid its all on stuinfo, under financial aid. If you have accepted your aid already the bill will be handled by the school/financial aid, then the rest will get deposited whenever thats supposed to be before class starts

Do you mean like how do we get the money? Direct deposit enrollment is on stuinfo, i think you have to be on campus wifi in order to access that part tho. Ive heard we'll get it about a week or so before class. But to just see/accept the aid its all on stuinfo, under financial aid. If you have accepted your aid already the bill will be handled by the school/financial aid, then the rest will get deposited whenever thats supposed to be before class starts

That's what I thought. Damn.

What usually happens on the second day of orientation? My graduation from grad school is on June 8th and I'm wondering if it would be okay to miss the second day of orientation.

Anyone know if medical school is a fair enough excuse to get out of jury duty?

Anyone know if medical school is a fair enough excuse to get out of jury duty?

I was exempted because I was called for duty in my former county of residence and had already moved to Lansing. If this is a similar case for you just make sure you do a change of address for your new location as they may want proof of your new residence.

I was exempted because I was called for duty in my former county of residence and had already moved to Lansing. If this is a similar case for you just make sure you do a change of address for your new location as they may want proof of your new residence.

Ah thats sweet, i may do that. I havent changed my address from my parents address to my lansing address on my license yet, is that a relatively quick process? As like you said ill need proof

Ah thats sweet, i may do that. I havent changed my address from my parents address to my lansing address on my license yet, is that a relatively quick process? As like you said ill need proof

Yep, really easy! If you're from MI you can either do it online:
ExpressSOS: Online Services
Or at the local SOS office. There's a couple in Lansing/EL. They'll mail/give you a sticker to put on your license with the updated address. I just called the court and sent a scan of my license to the court clerk at their request. So I would recommend calling the district court that is summoning you and see what they recommend.

Yep, really easy! If you're from MI you can either do it online:
ExpressSOS: Online Services
Or at the local SOS office. There's a couple in Lansing/EL. They'll mail/give you a sticker to put on your license with the updated address. I just called the court and sent a scan of my license to the court clerk at their request. So I would recommend calling the district court that is summoning you and see what they recommend.

Awesome!! Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

Some of this is so frustrating. How long is our July 4 break? One day? How do we see our weekly schedule of classes?

You just have to wait until someone posts the Google calendar on you class FB page and then save that bad boy . Only way to know where to be at what time

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

What usually happens on the second day of orientation? My graduation from grad school is on June 8th and I'm wondering if it would be okay to miss the second day of orientation.
The second day is for site specific stuff. So if you are at MUC/DMC then it is your first day of orientation there. Not quite sure about EL.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Besides the fact the PDF with the equipment needed for the fall is full of broken links (lol), they suggest the Littman cardiology 3 which isn't sold anymore at a few of the vendors since there's the 4th version now.

So do I follow the advice of the very poorly made pdf or do I go ahead and buy the new version that's the same price?

Damn, nothing works on their website does it?

Besides the fact the PDF with the equipment needed for the fall is full of broken links (lol), they suggest the Littman cardiology 3 which isn't sold anymore at a few of the vendors since there's the 4th version now.

So do I follow the advice of the very poorly made pdf or do I go ahead and buy the new version that's the same price?

Damn, nothing works on their website does it?
Yeah. The school isn't always the best at updating things year after year (looking at you, C3 curriculum)... You'll be fine with the Littmann CIII or CIV. Or any other stethoscope, for that matter, as far as getting through your pre-clinical work. I would recommend getting a good one, though, as it's the one piece of equipment you will use on a daily basis in the hospitals.

Alright, was thinking it wasn't super specific but I'll get a good one.

Cleaned our sublease for like 4 hours yesterday so I've earned it....how do you spill coffee on a wall 4 feet off the ground? Maybe I don't want to know.

Does anyone know how long the fingerprint process takes? My appointment is tomorrow

5 minutes. The woman that took my fingerprints was in an improvised office that looked like it was setup in about 20 minutes and was watching Days of Our Lives while doing it.

On a related note, anyone here have the titers done? Thinking I'm going to call tomorrow to set an appointment.

Reactions: 2 users
5 minutes. The woman that took my fingerprints was in an improvised office that looked like it was setup in about 20 minutes and was watching Days of Our Lives while doing it.

On a related note, anyone here have the titers done? Thinking I'm going to call tomorrow to set an appointment.
Bruh get on that asap. I failed my Hep B titer and had to start the 6 month sequence.

Reactions: 1 users

Just got mine done today. They said I should get my results at the end of this week. Oh and did the tb test, but have to go back Wednesday for them to see if it's pos/neg. I was about to do the blood tb test, but it was $320 more than the normal skin test lol.