Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do love that we are becoming feline friendly! Yesterday I did radiology training with one of our radiology residents and E-rad students and found out our two radiologists are leaving (and thus the radiology residents are leaving mid-residency). Do you think this will have an impact on current students?
Yeah, a lot of people are leaving by choice, or they didn't have their contracts renewed. I'm not quite sure what will become of the radiology department to be honest, or how this will impact students on those rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome thank you! I didn't realize that had been updated recently!
I wrote a list in word, but it wouldn't copy and paste for me. It's attached

Attachments

• Pros-Con MSU.docx
    15 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 1 users
I wrote a list in word, but it wouldn't copy and paste for me. It's attached

Awesome thank you! I keep meaning to ask about the curriculum. Do you know exactly what they're doing to it? And will it affect just the class of 2022 onward, or would all the classes be affected by it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thank you! I keep meaning to ask about the curriculum. Do you know exactly what they're doing to it? And will it affect just the class of 2022 onward, or would all the classes be affected by it?

They said it would only affect 2022 and beyond. 2021 will stay on current curriculum

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can any current students go over the classes and what a typical day looks like first year? I toured there yesterday and fell in love with the school but there wasn't much about the classes you take. Thanks!

Hopefully this works correctly. I took a screen shot of one of our more typical weeks. IT creates Google calendars for us, and keeps them pretty up to date when schedules change.

Attachments

• 2017-02-20.png
    2017-02-20.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 124
Hopefully this works correctly. I took a screen shot of one of our more typical weeks. IT creates Google calendars for us, and keeps them pretty up to date when schedules change.
Wow this is nice of them!

Thank you so much for this!!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted, OS

Just got my decision email...OOS alternate...not sure how to feel but I'm shaking like crazy right now

Does anyone know if you are able to call and find out your position on the alternate list?

Does anyone know if you are able to call and find out your position on the alternate list?
I know some IS people who were able to find out, so I don't see why not for OOS!

Thanks! I hope I'm high enough up, I really want to go here

Congrats!! I am IS but I emailed admissions and got a reply very quickly! I think they are happy to let you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted OOS!! I fell in love with the school last Friday and they are my top OOS choice! I'm still waiting on a decision from my IS (A&M), but if I don't get in there, then I'll likely be going here. This is my first acceptance and I'm over the moon! :soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks! I hope I'm high enough up, I really want to go here

Also, if you're OOS, I'd say your chances are pretty good. I'm declining my OOS spot, and many others will as well (getting into their IS/cheaper option/top choice), so don't lose hope!

Also, if you're OOS, I'd say your chances are pretty good. I'm declining my OOS spot, and many others will as well (getting into their IS/cheaper option/top choice), so don't lose hope!
Thank you! I just emailed them about my position, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I haven't lost hope just yet. It just sucks because now it's more waiting and I'm so tired of waiting!! lol

I'm OOS alternate, number 11! I think that there's a good chance I'll get pulled off at 11, right?

Reactions: 2 users
Wow that was fast...they emailed me back already. I'm 69th....not sure how I feel about that

Accepted OOS!! I fell in love with the school last Friday and they are my top OOS choice! I'm still waiting on a decision from my IS (A&M), but if I don't get in there, then I'll likely be going here. This is my first acceptance and I'm over the moon! :soexcited:
DANIEL?!

Wow that was fast...they emailed me back already. I'm 69th....not sure how I feel about that

Some schools go through a good portion of their waitlists (I think someone said K State went through their entire waitlist last year which had like 180 people!) so I wouldn't be too worried! Easier said than done, but I think you still have a good chance!

Some schools go through a good portion of their waitlists (I think someone said K State went through their entire waitlist last year which had like 180 people!) so I wouldn't be too worried! Easier said than done, but I think you still have a good chance!
Lol ugh! At least theres a chance. Thank you for making me feel better!

OOS accepted but declining . hopefully one of you guys on here benefit from that

Does anyone know how far they made it onto the out of state alternate list last year?

Thank you so much for going out of your way to ask your colleague! I greatly appreciate the insight!

We have loads of opportunities for students to gain experience. The equine club has "e-team" where you can sign up for 3 hour shifts in the large animal clinic. We also have foal team where we all take shifts monitoring in the NICU. There are lots of hands on opportunities. It is what you make it!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

There is a Facebook group for admitted students. The school's admin will be accepting/adding people to the group as they receive your deposits for attendance. It's still open to be viewed by people who aren't in it yet, but you just cant comment on anything until you're added.

linked here, so you don't have to go searching too hard.

Last edited:
bahah right! You have such a good shot though!

It is so hard to even try to guess! I really think many people have wised up to accepting only IS tuition!! Does anyone know if MSU typically over accepts? I wonder if that plays into them not going through much of an IS waitlist also.

It is so hard to even try to guess! I really think many people have wised up to accepting only IS tuition!! Does anyone know if MSU typically over accepts? I wonder if that plays into them not going through much of an IS waitlist also.

at my interview they said they would over accept oos but not is and even then they are only over accepting a very small amount because last year too many people accepted the offer. so its likely they will go thru a bit of the waitlist

I talked with them today, and I think theyre set on sticking to about 115 for class size. I'd think that they would keep about the same makeup of in and out of state as last year.

Regarding waitlist movement for IS: there is very little. When I was waitlisted I scoured the old threads to see how much they moved because nobody could give me a straight answer. I saw maybe 1-2 people per year at most posting here they were accepted off the waitlist. By the grace of God and other people getting accepted to what must be super cool and expensive OOS schools, I was accepted 7th off the waitlist last year and later confirmed that I took the last IS spot. Don't give up hope, but if you are outside of the top 5, the chances are probably pretty slim. And please, please don't take it as a slight against you or your character if you aren't accepted or accepted from the waitlist. Many of my classmates have applied multiple times and are among the 'smartest' and hardest working in the class, and for being the last IS accepted, I'm doing fine, too. The whole process is imperfect, and you'll realize that when you start classes ;)

Last edited:
Regarding waitlist movement for IS: there is very little. When I was waitlisted I scoured the old threads to see how much they moved because nobody could give me a straight answer. I saw maybe 1-2 people per year at most posting here they were accepted off the waitlist. By the grace of God and other people getting accepted to what must be super cool and expensive OOS schools, I was accepted 7th off the waitlist last year and later confirmed that I took the last IS spot. Don't give up hope, but if you are outside of the top 5, the chances are probably pretty slim. And please, please don't take it as a slight against you or your character if you aren't accepted or accepted from the waitlist. Many of my classmates have applied multiple times and are among the 'smartest' and hardest working in the class, and for being the last IS accepted, I'm doing fine, too. The whole process is imperfect, and you'll realize that when you see some of the people who got accepted ahead of you ;)

Thank you for the taking the time to jump on here and share. I also scoured past threads before last year and found very little movement, as well. I have a feeling I will end up putting a deposit down for UMN and if MSU gets to me, well, I'll happily "eat" that money.

Im on the OOS wait list and when I emailed admissions they responded saying they were "very conservative" with their original offers, so I'm assuming that means they did not over accept.

Regarding waitlist movement for IS: there is very little. When I was waitlisted I scoured the old threads to see how much they moved because nobody could give me a straight answer. I saw maybe 1-2 people per year at most posting here they were accepted off the waitlist. By the grace of God and other people getting accepted to what must be super cool and expensive OOS schools, I was accepted 7th off the waitlist last year and later confirmed that I took the last IS spot. Don't give up hope, but if you are outside of the top 5, the chances are probably pretty slim. And please, please don't take it as a slight against you or your character if you aren't accepted or accepted from the waitlist. Many of my classmates have applied multiple times and are among the 'smartest' and hardest working in the class, and for being the last IS accepted, I'm doing fine, too. The whole process is imperfect, and you'll realize that when you start classes ;)
Do you happen to have any classmates that made it in off the OOS list? I've been trying to figure out how far they get on the list but I can't find anything :/

Do you happen to have any classmates that made it in off the OOS list? I've been trying to figure out how far they get on the list but I can't find anything :/

The c/o 2020 profile says they "selected" 104 OOS applicants but admitted 37 (maybe not exactly but around there). I don't know quite what selected refers to but that might be some indicator of how far they got into the waitlist?

The c/o 2020 profile says they "selected" 104 OOS applicants but admitted 37 (maybe not exactly but around there). I don't know quite what selected refers to but that might be some indicator of how far they got into the waitlist?

Yep I was the 85th IS person accepted out of the 78 in our class. There were 7 people that declined their acceptance, thats how I knew I was the last one. The same should hold for the OOS people; unless there's something I'm missing, the OOS waitlist got to the 67th person.

Yep I was the 85th IS person accepted out of the 78 in our class. There were 7 people that declined their acceptance, thats how I knew I was the last one. The same should hold for the OOS people; unless there's something I'm missing, the OOS waitlist got to the 67th person.

The strange thing though is that I was on the IS list last year and between the time they sent out decisions and the time I had my file review in April, I was told that I moved up 11 or so spots. @Teepster87 says he has a friend who was #18? But I've heard from a couple different people that they only took 7 people from the waitlist and that is indeed what the class profile seems to suggest so I'm not sure what is accounting for the difference in numbers.

I don't want to give anyone false hope by saying the list moves more but I also don't want people further down the list to look at it and think that all hope is lost. The bottom line is that things are going to be different every year and you just never know how far it is going to move. You can be near the top of the list and not get in some years or you can be deep into the list and still make it. All I can say is best of luck to everyone waiting.

The strange thing though is that I was on the IS list last year and between the time they sent out decisions and the time I had my file review in April, I was told that I moved up 11 or so spots. @Teepster87 says he has a friend who was #18? But I've heard from a couple different people that they only took 7 people from the waitlist and that is indeed what the class profile seems to suggest so I'm not sure what is accounting for the difference in numbers.

I don't want to give anyone false hope by saying the list moves more but I also don't want people further down the list to look at it and think that all hope is lost. The bottom line is that things are going to be different every year and you just never know how far it is going to move. You can be near the top of the list and not get in some years or you can be deep into the list and still make it. All I can say is best of luck to everyone waiting.
Thanks! Really hoping 69 is my lucky number.. :xf:

I think what must happen is they get to#18 (or whatever) because those listed ahead remove themselves from the list/took acceptances to other schools. It sounds like you could be called if you are a bit further down the list, but the total number of people they admit still isn't a ton is what I'm putting together. Either way, you are so right, there is nothing to do but wait! I just like beating a dead horse and trying to figure it out when really I just need to keep myself busy so I'm not thinking about it. Easier said than done. :hungover:

Reactions: 2 users

She was really super late being added, I think it was mid-July that I posted before after asking her. Wallydo is probably on the mark with people having removed themselves from the waitlist after accepting offers other places.

For the past year I have followed many different threads but never created an account. Now that I have been accepted into the C/O 2021 I figured it's time to start an account (instead of studying for my midterms), better late than never! ;) I am excited to get to know you all and finally contribute to anyone who is future vet school hopeful.

I'm what most refer to as a non-traditional student (even though I don't like the term because it makes me feel old:(). I graduated with my BS in 2013 and after working full-time for a year and a half I decided to go back to school to pursue my life long dream of become a veterinarian. To this point I had not volunteered, shadowed, or even worked in a veterinary clinic so I was significantly behind in that regards and only had a year to "enough" to feel comfortable applying. Needless to say, I continued to work full-time over that year and was finishing up my pre-requisites. This made it difficult to fit shadowing in. As a result, I applied with very few veterinary experience hours, in comparison to what many others apply with. Moral of the story, it is possible to get in if your application isn't perfect in every aspect, like many other individuals have already said.

If you have any questions, i would love to help you in any way that I can. Also, thank you to everyone who (even though they didn't know it) has helped me over the past year:)

Reactions: 4 users
For the past year I have followed many different threads but never created an account. Now that I have been accepted into the C/O 2021 I figured it's time to start an account (instead of studying for my midterms), better late than never! ;) I am excited to get to know you all and finally contribute to anyone who is future vet school hopeful.

I'm what most refer to as a non-traditional student (even though I don't like the term because it makes me feel old:(). I graduated with my BS in 2013 and after working full-time for a year and a half I decided to go back to school to pursue my life long dream of become a veterinarian. To this point I had not volunteered, shadowed, or even worked in a veterinary clinic so I was significantly behind in that regards and only had a year to "enough" to feel comfortable applying. Needless to say, I continued to work full-time over that year and was finishing up my pre-requisites. This made it difficult to fit shadowing in. As a result, I applied with very few veterinary experience hours, in comparison to what many others apply with. Moral of the story, it is possible to get in if your application isn't perfect in every aspect, like many other individuals have already said.

If you have any questions, i would love to help you in any way that I can. Also, thank you to everyone who (even though they didn't know it) has helped me over the past year:)

Hey I didn't apply here, but I wanted to say hi! I also graduated in 2013 and did my prerequisites while working full time and I got all my volunteering experience on the weekends. I was accepted this year as well. Just wanted to say hi, congrats, and good for you. You did something really difficult, and you succeeded! Congratulations!

Hey I didn't apply here, but I wanted to say hi! I also graduated in 2013 and did my prerequisites while working full time and I got all my volunteering experience on the weekends. I was accepted this year as well. Just wanted to say hi, congrats, and good for you. You did something really difficult, and you succeeded! Congratulations!

Congrats to you as well! Where will you be going in the fall?