Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They told us yesterday that we should hear back from them by the end of next week!

good , i dont think i coud hae waited lol

Members don't see this ad.

They told us yesterday that we should hear back from them by the end of next week!
They said something today I think that sounded like only some will hear by next week and the rest will hear after the 17th when everyone has interviewed.

Literally will be sitting here with my fingers crossed until that email comes :xf:

Can any current first years share what your schedule was like your first semester? I can't find anything on the website and wanted to see how the days were laid out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current first years share what your schedule was like your first semester? I can't find anything on the website and wanted to see how the days were laid out.
We're split into 2 sections for labs due to not having enough space for all 115 in either the histo or anatomy lab at once.
The first few weeks were 8-12 lectures, but that eased up a bit later on and we'd have maybe 1 or 2 8ams a week. MWF we have anatomy and depending on the schedule you'd either have a 2 hour gap after lunch, or be done for the day at 3 if you were in the first group. Tues and Thursday we had histology labs, they were an hour and a half. We'd also have our clinical skills lab on one of the days either before of after histo.

We're split into 2 sections for labs due to not having enough space for all 115 in either the histo or anatomy lab at once.
The first few weeks were 8-12 lectures, but that eased up a bit later on and we'd have maybe 1 or 2 8ams a week. MWF we have anatomy and depending on the schedule you'd either have a 2 hour gap after lunch, or be done for the day at 3 if you were in the first group. Tues and Thursday we had histology labs, they were an hour and a half. We'd also have our clinical skills lab on one of the days either before of after histo.

Thank you! How often do you have exams? And do you find that you have time to visit the hospital a lot to see what's going on and learn down there?

Thank you! How often do you have exams? And do you find that you have time to visit the hospital a lot to see what's going on and learn down there?
After like the first 3 weeks we've got about an exam or 2 a week. It's a bit rough that anatomy and histology have both lecture and lab exams. There's 3 pretty heavy work/study wise classes, anatomy, histo, and immunology. We got administration to change some of the exam scheduling so that your class won't (hopefully!!!!) have 2 exams for these classes in a week. If I remember correctly we usually had tests Tuesday Friday if there was going to be 2 in a week.
Every class but immunology uses an computer exam program, it's work pretty well most of the time. IT is always on site for exams because at least 1 person always has some sort of technical problem.
We have a requirement to do a certain number of rounds in the hospital (or pathology at dcpah, which was always highly entertaining). To try and get you used to the environment. I personally never got down to the hospital much because of life and being a commuter. But I'm sure other were. Rounds were always pretty well attended even once everyone had met their required numbers. Clubs with their wetland are always a great chance to get more hands on learning. And the hospital has some programs for student employment over breaks/summer and I know some people work a few nights down there during the school week.

After like the first 3 weeks we've got about an exam or 2 a week. It's a bit rough that anatomy and histology have both lecture and lab exams. There's 3 pretty heavy work/study wise classes, anatomy, histo, and immunology. We got administration to change some of the exam scheduling so that your class won't (hopefully!!!!) have 2 exams for these classes in a week. If I remember correctly we usually had tests Tuesday Friday if there was going to be 2 in a week.
Every class but immunology uses an computer exam program, it's work pretty well most of the time. IT is always on site for exams because at least 1 person always has some sort of technical problem.
We have a requirement to do a certain number of rounds in the hospital (or pathology at dcpah, which was always highly entertaining). To try and get you used to the environment. I personally never got down to the hospital much because of life and being a commuter. But I'm sure other were. Rounds were always pretty well attended even once everyone had met their required numbers. Clubs with their wetland are always a great chance to get more hands on learning. And the hospital has some programs for student employment over breaks/summer and I know some people work a few nights down there during the school week.

Thank you! Do you have any room in your schedule to take elective courses or is it pretty set in stone? And do you know if the hospital sees exotic pets too?

Thank you! Do you have any room in your schedule to take elective courses or is it pretty set in stone? And do you know if the hospital sees exotic pets too?
No selectives until your in your 4th and 5th semester, the hospital does see mammalian exotics but I'm not sure about reptiles and avian, though our wildlife department regularly takes care of birds of prey so it's possible!

No selectives until your in your 4th and 5th semester, the hospital does see mammalian exotics but I'm not sure about reptiles and avian, though our wildlife department regularly takes care of birds of prey so it's possible!

Yeah that's not really a deal breaker for me anymore since it seems that most schools don't offer much with exotics so I'd have to find externships to really learn.

Is there some type of lecture capture? I think my tour guide mentioned it, but I can't remember. Also I know someone touched on this already, but we should expect to be in class 8-5ish every day? I'm mainly wondering about this because I am thinking about getting a dog and living off campus. :) thanks!

Is there some type of lecture capture? I think my tour guide mentioned it, but I can't remember. Also I know someone touched on this already, but we should expect to be in class 8-5ish every day? I'm mainly wondering about this because I am thinking about getting a dog and living off campus. :) thanks!

When I was there they said everything is recorded (echo360 I think is what they called it?). Some of the students said they watch most of their lectures at home because they learn better that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah we have lecture capture and the ability to live stream. It works great ~98% of the time. Every so often there will be a class time switched or just a failure to record.
Depending on what section you'll be in, what week, and the random order of how labs are scheduled you'll have classes 1st semester from 8-9am til noon, and hour for lunch. MWF either have lab from 1-3 or 3-5. Tues and Thursday will be histo and clinical competency and you'll have 2 labs one of the days from 1-430 and the other day either histo at 1 or 3 for an hour and a half.

Since you're interested in lab animal, Teep, what's your take so far on MSU's lab animal opportunities? They mentioned summer research and stuff like that when I was there. I have a bit of lab animal experience but not a *ton* and really want to maximize my chances of getting some good lab animal experience since it's the field I'd like to go in to (for now)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're interested in lab animal, Teep, what's your take so far on MSU's lab animal opportunities? They mentioned summer research and stuff like that when I was there. I have a bit of lab animal experience but not a *ton* and really want to maximize my chances of getting some good lab animal experience since it's the field I'd like to go in to (for now)!
I really think that its something that you'll have to put a bit of work in if you want to get good exposure. I guess that's probably like most "alternative" interests at most schools. The campus lab animal vets have been really excited to have student interest, they've been open to having me come out and shadow, but I've had no time to set anything up yet. perhaps over breaks. There's 2 separate summer opportunities for lab animal. They just started an externship at MSU for the summer that I think is only a year old. (I applied for this for the summer, haven't heard back yet). There's also a spot (maybe 2?) for summer that's more research oriented offered at UofM about 45 minutes away. They have about twice as many animals on their census as MSU has, and I think it has to do with them having more mouse/rat work going on. UofM actually is where they have a residency program in LAM, not MSU.
MSU does have a lot of large animal research that goes on, and they just hired a new vet to cover the research farms. There's now 4 full time vets in campus animal resources. The director of our program is a former president of aclam (i think that's something that probably useful). We get 5 rotations (it used to be 3) that can be used for off campus rotations. There currently aren't any direct classes about lab animal, and there aren't any selectives (elective classes offered in 2nd and 3rd year) about them, but that could change by the time any of use reach that time point.

I really think that its something that you'll have to put a bit of work in if you want to get good exposure.

That sounds great! I'd expect to have to put my self out there a bit regardless of where I go -- as long as there are lab animal vets I can get in contact with about shadowing and learning more about the profession on my spare time, that's a plus for me!

ACCEPTED! Interviewed 2/3

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Only a handful of small mammals. I saw a rabbit on primary care, and that was it for small mammal. I was able to do externships in exotic animal medicine, though. But, you're on your own to search for those. I have heard good things about the wildlife med rotation.

Congrats you guys!!

Looks like I probably won't be hearing back yet for the 2/3 interview if I haven't gotten an email yet.....guess it's another week of waiting.

I just have a bad feeling :(

Looks like I probably won't be hearing back yet for the 2/3 interview if I haven't gotten an email yet.....guess it's another week of waiting.

Dont worry -seriously...theres still another interview date in a week.

Dont worry -seriously...theres still another interview date in a week.
Don't worry about it at all, I think they said they only take a few right after the interview week but they take the majority of people after all interviews are done!

Reactions: 1 users

Like others have said, they only take ~10% of each interview group and extend offers. Even then you can assume that a good amount of those will end up being OOS and will decline for a more affordable option, so when they're done with all interviews and select from the overall pool id say your chances are pretty good!

Random question:

My boyfriend wants to move down to Michigan with me, but wants a job (research or medical). Does anyone know how we should start the job search/ know any research positions that may be a good fit/ know people to email?

Random question:

My boyfriend wants to move down to Michigan with me, but wants a job (research or medical). Does anyone know how we should start the job search/ know any research positions that may be a good fit/ know people to email?
You could start here
https://jobs.msu.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1486755154530

there are a few medical companies/manufactures in the area as well, the names escape me at the moment. Sparrow is the big hospital system in Lansing.

Hey fellow now 2022 hopefuls, MSU has updated their admissions requirements:

*They have decreased the number of required credits from 62 to 55.
*The GRE is no longer required.
*Last 3-semester GPA and Science Pre-req GPA minimum of 3.0 to receive file review.

Check https://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm/selection for the details.

I just got an interview invite for the 17th today. I turned it down so hopefully somebody on here gets some good news. Good luck!

Hey fellow now 2022 hopefuls, MSU has updated their admissions requirements:

*They have decreased the number of required credits from 62 to 55.
*The GRE is no longer required.
*Last 3-semester GPA and Science Pre-req GPA minimum of 3.0 to receive file review.

Check https://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm/selection for the details.
Wow - Just called and this will go into affect for the up coming application cycle that opens in May.

Wow - Just called and this will go into affect for the up coming application cycle that opens in May.

So from the way it's written it seems like as long as you meet the 3.0 minimums, interviews are granted based only off of experiences?

So from the way it's written it seems like as long as you meet the 3.0 minimums, interviews are granted based only off of experiences?

Could be... I'd ask for clarification though if I was a future applicant because they do list academic performance as one of the factors they consider in final selection.

I'm actually reading it as your application won't be considered at all if you don't meet that requirement. For many schools the "file review" is when they evaluate your application in the first place to see if they want to invite you to interview.

Can someone who is currently a student at MSU or at least someone who has visited talk a bit about the large animal hospital, maybe the case loads for equine/food animal, and any unique things about MSU that they love? I am supposed to be interviewing this week but may not be able to, so I just wanted to hear a bit about the school first before going to extreme measures to get myself there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Can someone who is currently a student at MSU or at least someone who has visited talk a bit about the large animal hospital, maybe the case loads for equine/food animal, and any unique things about MSU that they love? I am supposed to be interviewing this week but may not be able to, so I just wanted to hear a bit about the school first before going to extreme measures to get myself there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I just asked one of my colleagues who's more knowledgeable about food animal/equine. I'll reply again when I get her response

Here's what she said:
"I have thus far been extremely impressed with the large animal side of the hospital. Not only do they offer fantastic care, but the doctors and technicians are some of the best that I have been around. It is true that the caseload is not as high as it used to be (but this seems to be a common thing across the board with food animal) and the equine side is holding steady. The food animal side usually has between 10-30 cases a week (ballpark), just yesterday we had three cows, a llama, and two pigs in. They have a dedicated client base on the food animal side and always offer the best care imaginable. From an equine standpoint things are holding steady. Obviously there are slow times, but for the most part things are busy! What I have been most impressed with on either side is the personality of the clinicians. They are always open to students coming down and lending a hand/watching/asking questions. Like any experience you get out what you put in, but there are countless opportunities for you to put in time and get huge returns! I wouldn't trade my experience here for the world!"

Here's what she said:
"I have thus far been extremely impressed with the large animal side of the hospital. Not only do they offer fantastic care, but the doctors and technicians are some of the best that I have been around. It is true that the caseload is not as high as it used to be (but this seems to be a common thing across the board with food animal) and the equine side is holding steady. The food animal side usually has between 10-30 cases a week (ballpark), just yesterday we had three cows, a llama, and two pigs in. They have a dedicated client base on the food animal side and always offer the best care imaginable. From an equine standpoint things are holding steady. Obviously there are slow times, but for the most part things are busy! What I have been most impressed with on either side is the personality of the clinicians. They are always open to students coming down and lending a hand/watching/asking questions. Like any experience you get out what you put in, but there are countless opportunities for you to put in time and get huge returns! I wouldn't trade my experience here for the world!"

Thank you so much for going out of your way to ask your colleague! I greatly appreciate the insight!

Final interviews today everyone! We find out soon :nailbiting::heckyeah:

does anyone know how soon after this last weekend of interviews they'll send out decisions?

does anyone know how soon after this last weekend of interviews they'll send out decisions?
They had a pretty quick turn around after the interviews 2 weeks-ish ago, and had some decisions out the next week I believe. I was in the last group to interview last year, and got my decision in the first week of March. They might be working a bit faster this year.

Can any current students list some pros and cons of going to Michigan State for vet school?

Can any current students list some pros and cons of going to Michigan State for vet school?

Check out the stickied factors thread above, might have some answers you're looking for

click the little blue arrow below this
I updated the list with Lyra's info (which really filled out Kansas).

The following schools have no or little info:

Atlantic Veterinary College--University of Prince Edward Island
University of Calgary
Central Luzon University
University of Copenhagen
Lincoln Memorial University
Massey University
University of Melbourne
Midwestern University (has only three points)
Murdoch University
Oregon State University
University of Queensland
Ross University
Royal Veterinary College
University of Saskatchewan
St. George's University
St. Matthew's University
University of Sydney
University of Tokyo
Utrecht University
Washington State University

So if anyone wants to add info on these schools (or even ones not on the list), I'll add it!

Check out the stickied factors thread above, might have some answers you're looking for

click the little blue arrow below this

Awesome thank you! I didn't realize that had been updated recently!

Awesome thank you! I didn't realize that had been updated recently!
I'm out of town and don't have much time currently, but I'll try to get something together by the end of the weekend!

Can any current students go over the classes and what a typical day looks like first year? I toured there yesterday and fell in love with the school but there wasn't much about the classes you take. Thanks!

Pros: extra semester of clinics + rotations are 3 weeks instead of 2, high caseload, scholarships, finally making the hospital feline friendly
Cons: the weather (although this has been a very mild winter), cost obviously, the location is a little boring despite being a college town

I'll update this if I think of more...

Pros: extra semester of clinics + rotations are 3 weeks instead of 2, high caseload, scholarships, finally making the hospital feline friendly
Cons: the weather (although this has been a very mild winter), cost obviously, the location is a little boring despite being a college town

I'll update this if I think of more...

I do love that we are becoming feline friendly! Yesterday I did radiology training with one of our radiology residents and E-rad students and found out our two radiologists are leaving (and thus the radiology residents are leaving mid-residency). Do you think this will have an impact on current students?