Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they call or email?

My alternate status was via email. I believe they do all/most correspondance primarily via email.

Members don't see this ad.

Like finnick said, the IS waitlist does move sometimes. My good friend was 17th (I believe, it may have been 13) on the IS list last year and got it, but ended up getting the acceptance super late.

Thank you, Teepster, for sharing.

My alternate status was via email. I believe they do all/most correspondance primarily via email.
i know most is through email. I remember someone saying that acceptances were through phone call (part of what made MSU such a big family is because everything is pretty personal so you feel like you belong). I believe it was one of the people on the student panel who said it though, not faculty or staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, so hi everyone! Interviewed dec 12, first time applicant, IS, and have been placed on the alternate list. My SIS score was above average compared to the 2020 accepted class and I FELT my interview went well but who knows. So I'm not sure what to think right now, tried to not expect to be accepted but I felt like I was "competitive". Hoping the list moves this year bc I reallly wanted to go to msu:/ I received my decision via email today ~5.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
has any one who interviewed in January heard anything , or just December ?

has any one who interviewed in January heard anything , or just December ?

The acceptances that went out today were from people that interviewed in Jan (or if you were IS and didn't hear in December, I think they told all IS people today). OOS Jan interviews that didn't hear will have to wait until all the interviews are done in Feb for their decision it seems.

Reactions: 2 users
A little late on this one (was on the phone with fam and had to make dinner), but I'm now part of the class of 2021 as well :highfive:

Looking forward to meeting everyone who's already heard, and all of those who have yet to interview/be accepted.

I'm so thrilled, I forgot how to use exclamation points.

Reactions: 4 users
A little late on this one (was on the phone with fam and had to make dinner), but I'm now part of the class of 2021 as well :highfive:

Looking forward to meeting everyone who's already heard, and all of those who have yet to interview/be accepted.

I'm so thrilled, I forgot how to use exclamation points.

congratulations

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to ask my position for the alternate list, #5. Though I was told not to check back in until April 17th. I just can't imagine anyone ever giving up their IS seat. I'm sure the list hardly moves some years, right? Definitely have a "so close, yet so far away" feeling.

Congrats to those who have been accepted!!

I was able to ask my position for the alternate list, #5. Though I was told not to check back in until April 17th. I just can't imagine anyone ever giving up their IS seat. I'm sure the list hardly moves some years, right? Definitely have a "so close, yet so far away" feeling.

Congrats to those who have been accepted!!

i feel like #5 is not to bad. At the student panel, one of the students was called from the IS list. Very possible to be still be called - especially if 4 people before you accepted a seat at another school.
maybe it was this thread (although ive been on OSU thread a well) where someone said they had a friend called off the IS waitlist who was number 13.

@finnickthedog , would you mind if I PM'ed you with a few questions about your waitlist experience last year?

Would anyone mind kindly weighing in on the dress code for the meet and greet?

The dress code is basically business casual. As a male, I wore a pair of khakis, a dress shirt and tie (no jacket), and felt appropriately dressed. They aren't specifically interviewing you during this time, but I felt it would be better if I was slightly overdressed than underdressed. Business suit is absolutely not required for the meet and greet, but I certainly recommend it for the actual interview. Most of the women were wearing either a skirt or slacks, and a nice shirt to the meet and greet. Hope this helps and good luck!

Would anyone mind kindly weighing in on the dress code for the meet and greet?

I just wore a dress kind of like this one:
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 1.56.56 PM.png
And heels that matched. But keep in mind that you'll be getting a tour of the vet med center, plus you will have to walk from wherever you park (probably the Wharton Center parking ramp), so dress nice but comfortably. In retrospect, I would have worn flats or boots instead o_O

Most people were dressed similarly, either basic dresses or pants and a nice blouse/sweater. Overall, it's a pretty chill event, so I wouldn't worry too much.

dying waiting for mid feb/march. I am assuming it will be closer to march with the additional interview dates
Im already in a gap year and do not want to have to wait 2 whole years (or more) to go back to school :(

Does anyone have insight on how the MMI's are evaluated at MSU?

I just got an interview - Feb 3rd! A little late, but I'll take it!

Reactions: 2 users
The closer it gets to the first week of February, the more nervous I am getting....no news is good news, but I just have a bad feeling I won't be getting an interview invite :/

The closer it gets to the first week of February, the more nervous I am getting....no news is good news, but I just have a bad feeling I won't be getting an interview invite :/

Keep your head up, I got an interview invite on Monday. There is still hope... no news is good news!

Keep your head up, I got an interview invite on Monday. There is still hope... no news is good news!
Thanks! I wonder if they are still going in waves.. and if they are then I wonder how many are left..

And congrats on the invite !

Hey everyone!! Interviewing this weekend and a bit nervous as it is my first MMI..does anyone have any tips?

Also, just a couple questions: 1) my meet and greet is the night before my MMI, what do people typically wear to the meet and greet? 2) Does anyone have suggestions as to where to stay? Any place within walking distance, perhaps?

Hey everyone!! Interviewing this weekend and a bit nervous as it is my first MMI..does anyone have any tips?

Also, just a couple questions: 1) my meet and greet is the night before my MMI, what do people typically wear to the meet and greet? 2) Does anyone have suggestions as to where to stay? Any place within walking distance, perhaps?
If you read through back a few pages, we've chatted about all these topics :)

1. No real tips other than its a lot less stress than you think it will be :) You can't really prepare for it other than just practice talking outloud and articulating an opinion on a random subject. People were mostly wearing some sort of business casual dress to the meet and greet. I think something that isn't jeans will be fine, but you dont have to wear a suit or anything.

I was WAYYYY more nervous then I needed to be - like mht2k3 said, you can't really prepare...just think about what kind of people (including veterinarians you've worked with) you admire, and what you admire about them; also think about what kind of doctor (not speciality, more like personally or ethically, I guess) you want to be. If you find a prompt tricky, just think "What would so-and-so do?" or "What would future me do or think?" - I found that to be really helpful, especially when I needed to focus.

In terms of hotels, there's nothing really in "walking distance" of the CVM/Fee Hall - the closest hotel is the Kellogg on campus, but it's pretty pricey, and is pretty much on the opposite side of campus. You can, however, take a CATA bus pretty easily from there. Otherwise, there's several hotels in the area, but they all pretty much require a car/bus/Uber trip to campus.

Yay! Will you be by yourself or with family? I'll be all alone so if you need some one to hang out with, I'm your girl haha

For my round, there was a good mixture of those who brought guests and those who went alone. I went alone to the Meet and Greet as well but ended up talking to other people and even making some new friends that I saw the next day at the actual interview (which was really comforting!). I know it's a little scary going alone, but everyone was really kind and helpful. Best of luck to you! :)

Yay! Will you be by yourself or with family? I'll be all alone so if you need some one to hang out with, I'm your girl haha
I'll be by myself! I'm glad I'll have a buddy now! I'll PM you!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone waiting and interviewing! I have yet to hear anything, so I am thinking I will not be getting an interview. Best of luck to everyone else who does though!! :)

I'm working the student panel tonight!

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know when final decisions are coming out ? im guessing closer to march since the last interview date is so late ?

does anyone know when final decisions are coming out ? im guessing closer to march since the last interview date is so late ?
I looked through 2019 and 2020 and it looks like most decisions came out about the 3rd week of March.

They told us yesterday that we should hear back from them by the end of next week!