MHS Mental Health - Johns Hopkins Current Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ecronum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any questions for this program - I would be happy to answer/clarify anything! I am over half way done with the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on being halfway done!

What do you like and don't like about the program?
The program is 1-year, does 1-year cover a good amount of mental health knowledge?
If you are able to share, what is your topic of research?
Who is your favorite professor in the mental health department? Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on being halfway done!

What do you like and don't like about the program?
The program is 1-year, does 1-year cover a good amount of mental health knowledge?
If you are able to share, what is your topic of research?
Who is your favorite professor in the mental health department? Why?

1. Things I like: The amount of support, and opportunity you get with being at JHSPH. We have a very involved academic adviser who makes sure everyone gets what they need out of their experience here. There are seminars every wednesday, expanding on your mental health knowledge - in directions you probably would have never imagined. The classes are vastly interesting "Psychiatric Epidemiology, Etiology of Mental Disorders, Psychopathology, Statistical Methods in Mental Health, Psychiatric Genetics etc." and the best thing of all - after 9 months you have a masters degree which is highly marketable (and getting a job is fairly easy because you make SO many connections and the adviser will pull her connections to get you in touch with whoever you need).

Things I don't like: You don't get to utilize a lot of the funding opportunities because you are there for a year - your thesis is either a secondary data set analysis or a literature review - not a lot of time to get comfortable in a field (but I guess that's what a PhD is for) - expensive tuition.

2. You definitely get a good amount of mental health knowledge - there is plenty of opportunity for you to concentrate on a subset of mental health (it's just MUCH easier if you know which subset from the beginning).

3. My topic of research is looking into how exercise affects non-motor symptoms (depression/anxiety) in Parkinson's Patients. But we have people focusing on mental health in the context of homeless, veterans, diabetes patients, etc (whatever you want).

4. Dr. Bill Eaton - renowned professor, extremely knowledgeable, and has a few great stories up his sleeve every talk!

LOL oh god no, go to the Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health - their cafeteria is the best!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Things I like: The amount of support, and opportunity you get with being at JHSPH. We have a very involved academic adviser who makes sure everyone gets what they need out of their experience here. There are seminars every wednesday, expanding on your mental health knowledge - in directions you probably would have never imagined. The classes are vastly interesting "Psychiatric Epidemiology, Etiology of Mental Disorders, Psychopathology, Statistical Methods in Mental Health, Psychiatric Genetics etc." and the best thing of all - after 9 months you have a masters degree which is highly marketable (and getting a job is fairly easy because you make SO many connections and the adviser will pull her connections to get you in touch with whoever you need).

Things I don't like: You don't get to utilize a lot of the funding opportunities because you are there for a year - your thesis is either a secondary data set analysis or a literature review - not a lot of time to get comfortable in a field (but I guess that's what a PhD is for) - expensive tuition.

2. You definitely get a good amount of mental health knowledge - there is plenty of opportunity for you to concentrate on a subset of mental health (it's just MUCH easier if you know which subset from the beginning).

3. My topic of research is looking into how exercise affects non-motor symptoms (depression/anxiety) in Parkinson's Patients. But we have people focusing on mental health in the context of homeless, veterans, diabetes patients, etc (whatever you want).

4. Dr. Bill Eaton - renowned professor, extremely knowledgeable, and has a few great stories up his sleeve every talk!

1. Yes, I also thought the classes sounded super interesting when I was browsing their site. Thanks for sharing!! Is a MHS really marketable? What are examples of jobs that need people with a MHS in Mental Health?
2. Good to know haha :)
3. Wow, those projects all sound really cool, do you have direct contact with Parkinson's patients in your research? If you are comfortable sharing, what are the potential interventions / community implications your research can elucidate? Are you thinking of pursuing a PhD to delve more into research?

Hi!

I just found this posting and I'm thinking of applying for 2017. Would you happen to know if going to the MHS Mental Health program makes it easier for you to get into the PhD program? I'm really interested in mental health research and currently work as a psychiatric clinical research coordinator. I don't have any publications so I'm worried about getting into the PhD right away.

Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry, I know this is somewhat off topic, but do you know anything about Hopkins' MS in clinical mental health counseling program? Particularly in regards to admissions (ie, how competative were admissions into the MHS program and are they comparable to that of the MS program for CMHC?)