Meta-analysis proves spinal manipulation "works" for back-ache

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Spinal Manipulation Can Alleviate Back Pain, Study Concludes

"It's not clear exactly how spinal manipulation relieves back pain. But it may reposition the small joints in the spine in a way that causes less pain, according to Dr. Richard Deyo, an internist and professor of evidence-based medicine at the Oregon Health and Science University. Deyo wrote an editorial published along with the study."

The Role of Spinal Manipulation in Treating Low Back Pain

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
huh. thats weird. i thought the outcomes would be different if the pain was from the facets vs. the disc. its funny how treatment for SIJ pain and myofascial pain are identical. pretty crazy that a compression fracture would respond to manipulation. too bad grandpa's prostate cancer wasnt diagnosed earlier with an MRI. oh well.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Technically, a 1 point reduction in pain may not be clinically significant...

And this is where metaanalysis EBM can fail. The article touts chiro as beneficial... yet when you look back at the ESI meta analysis by Chou in 2015, almost exactly the same results were obtained, but the conclusion was that ESI were not beneficial, because of "predetermined minimum clinically important difference thresholds"...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users

And this is where metaanalysis EBM can fail. The article touts chiro as beneficial... yet when you look back at the ESI meta analysis by Chou in 2015, almost exactly the same results were obtained, but the conclusion was that ESI were not beneficial, because of "predetermined minimum clinically important difference thresholds"...

the article is essentially touted as a way to decrease the opioid epidemic. it was a poorly writted article based on crap science. NPR usually only scratches the surface with their stories. only so much info you can put into a 90 second radio stint

Reactions: 1 users

It also highlights the ignorance of academic medical center "expertise." Rick is wrong about spinal manipulation effects being grounded in alignment of facet joints, etc. **IF** any plausible mechanism of action were to be attributed to manipulative therapies, the BASIC LAB science would favor neurophysiological effects related to stretching deep spinal muscle golgi/tendon organs and/or direct mechanical effects on the fascia.

But, in these times of nanny-state, population-based collectivism the "experts" asked to form public policy on medical rationing of pain therapies are NOT content experts in the matter (I would wager that Deyo has never cracked a back in his life) rather they are employed bean-counters. Chou has never performed an ESI; Deyo has never popped a spine but that doesn't stop them from getting paid to make recommendation about it.

Reactions: 1 user
It is never too late to join the society for science based medicine. If this group became stronger we would have more ammunition to fight the idiots.

Reactions: 1 user

EXACTLY correct like I said in other posts.

Funny how they find this "clinically" significant though lol

All depends on the propaganda of the writer of the analysis.

EXACTLY correct like I said in other posts.

Funny how they find this "clinically" significant though lol

All depends on the propaganda of the writer of the analysis.

It's what Stephen Colbert called, "Truthiness." Results from meta-analysis *FEEL* like they must be right because of the aggregated sample size, the technical "rigor," etc. But, people forget how science works: You can't improve the quality of dog$hit by aggregating it...

Reactions: 1 users
It's what Stephen Colbert called, "Truthiness." Results from meta-analysis *FEEL* like they must be right because of the aggregated sample size, the technical "rigor," etc. But, people forget how science works: You can't improve the quality of dog$hit by aggregating it...

Deyo and Chou are clearly biased towards BS like "manipulation" for some reason. That "meta analysis" is horse manure considering they only analyzed "short term" pain benefit for "acute pain state" with consistent manipulation that only showed slight short term decreases in VAS scores.

Currently, most insurances will pay for 2 weeks of Chiropractic if the patient says there is a benefit during that time with the insurances often paying for significantly longer if "improvement continues to be shown". Yet I see NO decrease in patients coming through despite Chiropractic being covered if helpful.

Its interesting that the cost of Chiropractic care isn't determined considering the high frequency that is needed to treat this "acute pain" short term as well. Funny, how "short term benefit" of the LESI wasn't "clinically significant" though.

Interesting how that works huh?