Meredith College Pre-Health Post-Baccalaureate Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I was looking to apply to this program for the following year (2017). I had a 3.45 overall and I think a 3.6 science. I'm mostly just worried about retaking the MCAT because I took it in 2013, before it changed, and did terribly. I have been out of the game because I wanted to work awhile and just now began studying again. I feel like it would be better to do a post-bac and study for the MCAT at the same time so I am in that realm. Would you say this program helped you to do better on the MCAT and would it be worth it?? I was accepted to LECOM post-bacc 2 years ago but decided not to go at the time. Since I live so close to Raleigh, I feel like this would be a great opportunity..

I was actually pre-vet so I did not have to take the MCAT (thankfully!). But there were lots of pre-med folks in the post-bacc program. I believe they had MCAT study sessions organized by students and faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was looking to apply to this program for the following year (2017). I had a 3.45 overall and I think a 3.6 science. I'm mostly just worried about retaking the MCAT because I took it in 2013, before it changed, and did terribly. I have been out of the game because I wanted to work awhile and just now began studying again. I feel like it would be better to do a post-bac and study for the MCAT at the same time so I am in that realm. Would you say this program helped you to do better on the MCAT and would it be worth it?? I was accepted to LECOM post-bacc 2 years ago but decided not to go at the time. Since I live so close to Raleigh, I feel like this would be a great opportunity..

Also, if you have questions, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Marritt, the program director. She is very friendly and helpful. http://www.meredith.edu/academics/g...th/post-baccalaureate_certificate/contact_us/

Reactions: 1 user
The application opened the end of May. I finished my online app in June and was complete in the beginning of August after my final LOR came in. I got an acceptance letter the first week of October.

Members don't see this ad :)
The application opened the end of May. I finished my online app in June and was complete in the beginning of August after my final LOR came in. I got an acceptance letter the first week of October.

Are you planning to enroll for 2017-2018?

Could someone tell me around when the application for the program opens? I tried to make an account to start filling one out, but was taken to a page that says it's closed at the moment. Thanks!
Hey! Did you apply?

Actually, I'm not. I got into UVa's program and I can't justify passing that up.
Hey! Just curious - did Meredith let you know via snail mail or email? I've been waiting for a decision for a few weeks now, so I was just wondering how to expect it. Thanks!

Hey! Just curious - did Meredith let you know via snail mail or email? I've been waiting for a decision for a few weeks now, so I was just wondering how to expect it. Thanks!

I found out via snail mail. I can't quite remember the timeline, but I remember being complete for some time before I got a decision. The admissions office emailed me when my application showed complete in their system. Hope that helps.

Still no word. I planning to work durning the semester to off set the cost a little and take out a small private loan. I also enrolled into a pay as you go plan that is going to spread payments out over the school year. Once a month for ten months= ten payments of $1,600. I am hopeful that Stafford loans do come- But I am not betting on it and I won't let it stop me if they don't. I recommend you look into other options for payment because Meredith is a great place to be accepted at. Let me know if you any other questions, I am glad to help.

Greetings, Big Study- I've read everything written regarding the Meredith program here for the last few months (as I awaited a decision), and I've finally been accepted for the '17-'18 year. I'm ecstatic - it's been a long time coming to have the chance at a medical career.

My biggest question at the moment, regarding this post in particular, is if it is possible to retain a full time job during this program (esp the intense summer session.) I realize it's officially discouraged by the program directors, but I've been working 2 jobs since the day I graduated from college to pay off student debt and other debt and really don't want to start off my medical schooling already drowning. (I plan on keeping my part time job no matter what)

You said above you worked during the semester, and I'm curious how you did that? Also, regarding the summer session, is it M-F 9-5?

Thanks for your help! I hope your medical school is still going exceptionally well for you - we definitely need doctors more than ever.

Greetings, Big Study- I've read everything written regarding the Meredith program here for the last few months (as I awaited a decision), and I've finally been accepted for the '17-'18 year. I'm ecstatic - it's been a long time coming to have the chance at a medical career.

My biggest question at the moment, regarding this post, in particular, is if it is possible to retain a full time job during this program (esp the intense summer session.) I realize it's officially discouraged by the program directors, but I've been working 2 jobs since the day I graduated from college to pay off student debt and other debt and really don't want to start off my medical schooling already drowning. (I plan on keeping my part time job no matter what)

You said above you worked during the semester, and I'm curious how you did that? Also, regarding the summer session, is it M-F 9-5?

Thanks for your help! I hope your medical school is still going exceptionally well for you - we definitely need doctors more than ever.

CorgiMix,

Congratulations on your acceptance into Meredith. I love that place, and I miss it still. I learned so much there and perfected my study technique taking those courses. I was just like you. I hated debt and paid my way through undergrad as best I could. But anyways; your question about Meredith. The work is hard, harder than any undergrad course I took at my undergrad university. The summer term is especially fast-paced, and I would strongly urge you not to work at all during your time at Meredith.

You have to ask yourself what is at stake here. Is it possible to retain a full-time job during the program... Yes, I know a classmate who did it... Is it advisable, absolutely not. That classmate did not finish the program, unfortunately. Please take my advice; you are going to take out a lot of loans in graduate school, don't feel bad about it- it is just the way it is. Don't worry about the loans you have now. You can be debt free, or you can be a doctor, but it is very rare to be both (immediately out of training anyways).

If you are sure you are pursuing medicine with your life it is of the utmost importance that you do incredibly well during this post bacc year to which you have been accepted into! I guarantee hundreds of other applicants want your spot, give the program every reason to believe that you are everything they hoped you would be and be excellent while you are there for that short year. This is in a sense your last structured opportunity to get accepted into a program and pursue your career goals. Don’t mess it up by spending 20 hours a week at a dead end job.

If the goal is to be debt free, don't do med school... I am a quarter of a million dollars in debt now. I would not trade it for the world though, I love what I do, and I will be able to pay it off soon after residency. During my time at Meredith, I helped tutor Biochem for pennies one semester and served tables at a restaurant for dimes for about three weeks. Instead of working, for the first time in my life, I focused solely on my schoolwork and finally started to do well.

If you have lots of credit card debt, yes figure out a way to get it paid off ASAP, but the school debt is something that will be around for a long time- just get acquainted with it. This is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is truth. Take out loans, do well in school, and get into med school. Because med school is four years, then residency is four years, then fellowship is additional 1 to 2 to 3 years. At that time you will make a very competitive salary, and it will make your $10,000-$20,000 undergrad loans that you worried and worried about 10+ years ago look like such a laughable side note compared to the massive loans you take out in med school.

Don’t worry about the price tag of your education, worry about learning as much as you can and doing as well as you can in your studies now and aim for the best medical school possible. Summer term was 9-5 M-F. Courses themselves were scattered throughout, but with studying included, it was a 9-5 grind all summer.

Please feel free to post any more questions if you have any. Also, if there are recent graduates from the Meredith post bacc reading this, please do feel free to chime in. It has been 5+ years since I graduated from Meredith so some of my thoughts on the program schedule could be a bit outdated.

All the best

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so so so much. I've just been trying to be ok with this and getting more personal loans, etc. I know I'm about to commit myself to 10-15 years of struggle and debt (which I would be lucky and thankful for to make it all the way through post bacc, med school, and residency!), but I'm certain I'm doing it for the right reasons - I've never been so excited about something. It took me years to figure this out. I want to give the program everything I have - I just needed to hear from a fellow graduate to lighten my heart. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide me with such a thoughtful response. You're obviously a born advocate and in the right role. :)

Has anybody heard back for 2017-2018? I completed my application early in February and still haven't heard back... does this mean I probably haven't been accepted? I felt like my application was strong but I don't know how many people apply to this program.

Has anybody heard back for 2017-2018? I completed my application early in February and still haven't heard back... does this mean I probably haven't been accepted? I felt like my application was strong but I don't know how many people apply to this program.
My application was completed late Feb and I just got my acceptance in mail. Did you apply for the May or August?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For anyone that is considering Meredith and has questions please don't be afraid to post them here. I am in the program now and will give honest feedback! Good Luck.
How did you like the program? Was it effective for you? What were your stats?

I've been accepted too! Currently deciding between a few programs, but I think Meredith is at the top of my list. What are y'all's plans for housing?

Any thoughts on the program? Was it effective and did people get in to there desired programs?

CorgiMix,

Congratulations on your acceptance into Meredith. I love that place, and I miss it still. I learned so much there and perfected my study technique taking those courses. I was just like you. I hated debt and paid my way through undergrad as best I could. But anyways; your question about Meredith. The work is hard, harder than any undergrad course I took at my undergrad university. The summer term is especially fast-paced, and I would strongly urge you not to work at all during your time at Meredith.

You have to ask yourself what is at stake here. Is it possible to retain a full-time job during the program... Yes, I know a classmate who did it... Is it advisable, absolutely not. That classmate did not finish the program, unfortunately. Please take my advice; you are going to take out a lot of loans in graduate school, don't feel bad about it- it is just the way it is. Don't worry about the loans you have now. You can be debt free, or you can be a doctor, but it is very rare to be both (immediately out of training anyways).

If you are sure you are pursuing medicine with your life it is of the utmost importance that you do incredibly well during this post bacc year to which you have been accepted into! I guarantee hundreds of other applicants want your spot, give the program every reason to believe that you are everything they hoped you would be and be excellent while you are there for that short year. This is in a sense your last structured opportunity to get accepted into a program and pursue your career goals. Don’t mess it up by spending 20 hours a week at a dead end job.

If the goal is to be debt free, don't do med school... I am a quarter of a million dollars in debt now. I would not trade it for the world though, I love what I do, and I will be able to pay it off soon after residency. During my time at Meredith, I helped tutor Biochem for pennies one semester and served tables at a restaurant for dimes for about three weeks. Instead of working, for the first time in my life, I focused solely on my schoolwork and finally started to do well.

If you have lots of credit card debt, yes figure out a way to get it paid off ASAP, but the school debt is something that will be around for a long time- just get acquainted with it. This is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is truth. Take out loans, do well in school, and get into med school. Because med school is four years, then residency is four years, then fellowship is additional 1 to 2 to 3 years. At that time you will make a very competitive salary, and it will make your $10,000-$20,000 undergrad loans that you worried and worried about 10+ years ago look like such a laughable side note compared to the massive loans you take out in med school.

Don’t worry about the price tag of your education, worry about learning as much as you can and doing as well as you can in your studies now and aim for the best medical school possible. Summer term was 9-5 M-F. Courses themselves were scattered throughout, but with studying included, it was a 9-5 grind all summer.

Please feel free to post any more questions if you have any. Also, if there are recent graduates from the Meredith post bacc reading this, please do feel free to chime in. It has been 5+ years since I graduated from Meredith so some of my thoughts on the program schedule could be a bit outdated.

All the best
Your post is very helpful. Did you end up getting in to your desired program? were you an academic enhancer or career changer?

Meredith College post-bac was the best academic move I ever made in my life

Reactions: 2 users
Meredith College post-bac was the best academic move I ever made in my life

I have just been accepted for the 2018-2019 cohort and was wondering what the course structure would be like. I am a career changer so I will be starting from scratch with sciences. From what I can tell it looks like I will be taking bio 1/2 and chem 1/2 in the summer; orgo 1, physics 1, and biochem in the fall; then physics 2, orgo 2, and an additional upper level bio in the spring. Was this similar to what your schedule looked like? Also would like to hear about the general success and group study environment of the program. I am beyond excited to get started!