Mentors in toxicology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meh.meh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really early in my medical career (M2), but I've been trying to learn more about toxicology as a specialty. I would contact a toxicologist at my home institution, but we don't seem to have a fellowship in toxicology. I also tried the virtual mentorship program found at www.toxfellowship.com: I haven't heard anything back (it''s only been about a week though...they may come through still).

So I've been sifting through the old threads on toxicology, and trying to learn what I can. However, I still have a lot of questions!

Here they are, in no particular order. Answer any that you find interesting/are comfortable with.

1. I've heard of two general paths in toxicology: toxicology alone at a poison center, or EM/Tox at an academic medical center. In each of these places, who do you generally consult to? Is it mostly other Emergency physicians, or the entire hospital?

2. When you take call, do you usually do it from home on the phone, or do you typically go in to the hospital?

3. Do toxicologists often deal with chronic poisonings or pathological processes, or do they mostly stick to acute cases?

4. What sort of resources do you use to stay current?

5. I've heard of people getting involved with industry, research and
medico-legal work. Is it typically a supplementary source of income, or is it usually a full-time job? Does it pay well?

6. Are there other places I can look for a mentor besides www.toxfellowship.com?

7. It seems like the typical advise is to worry about residency first, then fellowships. Are toxicology programs typically open to students doing away rotations during medical school? Would it be better to do an away rotation with the EM department of a school with a toxicology department, and just ask questions there? Or should I just worry about getting into EM?

8. Besides research and doing well in classes, what would you recommend to explore the field/prepare for a career in this field?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick answer then more later:

For virtual mentors, you may not have heard back as most of us are at our annual meeting in New Orleans right now... ends today so you ought get get a response soon (but that site is run by ACEP, which has *its* meeting next week, so possibly not).

I actually recommend going through the ACMT website as it's one of our subspecialty organization and the one that focuses on the practice aspects & fellowship education: www.acmt.net

Your other option would be to contact the medical director of your state's Poison Center and pick their brains.

I'll write more after this morning's sessions are done.

Cheers!
-d

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I'm really early in my medical career (M2), but I've been trying to learn more about toxicology as a specialty. I would contact a toxicologist at my home institution, but we don't seem to have a fellowship in toxicology. I also tried the virtual mentorship program found at www.toxfellowship.com: I haven't heard anything back (it''s only been about a week though...they may come through still).

So I've been sifting through the old threads on toxicology, and trying to learn what I can. However, I still have a lot of questions!

Here they are, in no particular order. Answer any that you find interesting/are comfortable with.

1. I've heard of two general paths in toxicology: toxicology alone at a poison center, or EM/Tox at an academic medical center. In each of these places, who do you generally consult to? Is it mostly other Emergency physicians, or the entire hospital?

2. When you take call, do you usually do it from home on the phone, or do you typically go in to the hospital?

3. Do toxicologists often deal with chronic poisonings or pathological processes, or do they mostly stick to acute cases?

4. What sort of resources do you use to stay current?

5. I've heard of people getting involved with industry, research and
medico-legal work. Is it typically a supplementary source of income, or is it usually a full-time job? Does it pay well?

6. Are there other places I can look for a mentor besides www.toxfellowship.com?

7. It seems like the typical advise is to worry about residency first, then fellowships. Are toxicology programs typically open to students doing away rotations during medical school? Would it be better to do an away rotation with the EM department of a school with a toxicology department, and just ask questions there? Or should I just worry about getting into EM?

8. Besides research and doing well in classes, what would you recommend to explore the field/prepare for a career in this field?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so this took longer than just an afternoon... sorry, was a bit hectic upon my return home.

1) If you work in a hospital, you will typically be credentialed to provide consults to the hospital - not only the ED, but also to the inpatient wards as well (ICUs, etc). If you're in PCC administration (medical control), your "consults" will be providing recommendations typically over the phone to those who call into the PCC; you're also responsible for staff education and policy/guideline authoring.

2) I take call from home. If someone's sick at one of the hospitals at which I'm credentialed to provide bedside consultative care, I will go in; if it's somewhat straightforward and can wait until AM (e.g. an APAP overdose above the treatment line but before 8 hours who is being put on NAC), I will see them the next day.

3) All of the above. Depends on how you have your practice set up, and whether or not you have a clinic to see the chronic patients.

4) I read ClinTox & Journal of Medical Toxicology. I'm also a big fan of the The Poison Review blog. Plus, I work in an academic center with fellows, who keep me on my toes. d=)

5) MedMal/Industry can be either part or full time; again, depends on how you want to structure your practice.

6) I answered before

7) Absolutely. Most places with a toxicology fellowship will have a student rotation. If you're interested in the field, do a rotation. That said, you certainly SHOULD focus on getting into EM first (e.g. get your aways & SLOEs).

8) At this point in your education/career, I'd recommend focusing on classes and getting into an EM residency. Most PCCs will also have either a volunteer section, or you can apply to be a PIP (poison information provider) and actually take shifts answering the phone.

Hope this helps (and sorry again for the delay)!
-d

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, so this took longer than just an afternoon... sorry, was a bit hectic upon my return home.

Hope this helps (and sorry again for the delay)!
-d

Thanks! I don't really expect long, detailed responses on the turn of a dime. I have about half a decade until I really need to know the answers: so I'm not too worried :)