Mention 3 MCATS as a weakness in application on secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPedigree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I have taken the MCAT 3 times. In the summer of 2016 I scored a 509 (128/124/129/128) and in May 2017 I scored a 507 (127/125/127/128). I re-took at the end of July and am expecting nothing short of a 515. (I never took the unscored AAMC before and scored low 90's % overall days before attempt #3, which converted to a 521 on the reliable conversion factor, but im guessing I'll get a 515 to be safe).

Many secondaries ask for a weakness in your app you would like to discuss, and I think that taking the MCAT 3x can be seen as one. I don't really know how to explain my jump, except for the fact that I just "got it" after taking it twice. When I first saw my 507, it's like something all of a sudden something jumpstarted within me. I realized I may not get into medical school anymore for the first time ever after seeing that score, and desperation kicked in. For anyone who's never experienced rock bottom, desperation I feel is the most powerful motivator.

This is not the first time something like this has happened to me. I worked my butt off freshman year and finished with a 3.3 GPA. After realizing that won't cut it to get into med school, something triggered within me and I have had 3.9+ GPA the rest of the way. Once again, I really don't know how to explain this. If anything, I worked harder freshman year than all the other years. It's like something just clicks with me after falling flat on my face.

Can anyone please help me in terms of trying to explain my situation in regards to a weakness in my app? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Why draw attention to a negative? A 509 score, even with a 124 in CARs, is still competitive.

I think that you have reached your plateau, and it's less likely that you'll substantially improve.

Why draw attention to a negative? A 509 score, even with a 124 in CARs, is still competitive.

I think that you have reached your plateau, and it's less likely that you'll substantially improve.
Let's say I magically score a 515 then. How would I explain it based on the anecdote I have provided? When I scored a 509 I left passages blank in multiple sections (did not even guess a letter choice). I did not this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's say I magically score a 515 then. How would I explain it based on the anecdote I have provided? When I scored a 509 I left passages blank in multiple sections (did not even guess a letter choice). I did not this time around.
You do not explain it, you let the better most recent score speak for you. Trying to explain the two poorer scores brings your judgment into question.

Save explanations for interviews, or for specific prompts that ask about poor academics

Reactions: 1 user
You do not explain it, you let the better most recent score speak for you. Trying to explain the two poorer scores brings your judgment into question.

Save explanations for interviews, or for specific prompts that ask about poor academics
Thanks a ton!