Mental illness delaying license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhHello99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have bipolar disorder type 2. My last hospitalization was 8 years ago for a depressive episode. I haven't had a manic episode in 12 years. At the time I didn't have health insurance and wasn't being treated. I have been on medication since then and have not had any issues. Made it through med school just fine. I thought everything was fine until a few days ago when I received a notice that I would need to set up a meeting with my state's physician health program. I start orientation tomorrow and I am supposed to start July 1st (as everybody is, thanks a lot BME, you've had my application since April). I spoke with the medical director of the PHP (which is a 1.5 hour drive away) and he's going to try and do the paperwork via email, but it probably won't even be in until Mon or Tues. So I will probably be starting late, of which I've already informed the residency coordinator. My question is: what do I say about why it's delayed? I'm actually fairly open about my diagnosis. It runs in my family and I really didn't get a say in my genetics. I also realize that the stigma still exists and I don't want to disclose something that's going to put my PD on edge, but I imagine they're going to want to know why the BME is delaying my license. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
On a venting/frustration side-note: This is why people don't disclose mental health diagnoses. My friend has diabetes, which could very easily affect his ability to perform his job, but he doesn't have to provide documentation that he sees an endocrinologist regularly. I feel like I'm being punished for being honest. Thank god I have savings so I can pay my rent in the event that I start late and don't get paid for awhile. I'm lucky in that respect. Proving my point: just got a text from a friend after she got the mental health spiel at her residency orientation. She says the therapist seems awesome and she'd like to go see her, but she's thinking twice about it because of what's happening to me right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt see a therapist unless you really needed to. You would have to disclose it etc and its a huge additional hassle with all the paperwork.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everybody. I have bipolar disorder type 2. My last hospitalization was 8 years ago for a depressive episode. I haven't had a manic episode in 12 years. At the time I didn't have health insurance and wasn't being treated. I have been on medication since then and have not had any issues. Made it through med school just fine. I thought everything was fine until a few days ago when I received a notice that I would need to set up a meeting with my state's physician health program. I start orientation tomorrow and I am supposed to start July 1st (as everybody is, thanks a lot BME, you've had my application since April). I spoke with the medical director of the PHP (which is a 1.5 hour drive away) and he's going to try and do the paperwork via email, but it probably won't even be in until Mon or Tues. So I will probably be starting late, of which I've already informed the residency coordinator. My question is: what do I say about why it's delayed? I'm actually fairly open about my diagnosis. It runs in my family and I really didn't get a say in my genetics. I also realize that the stigma still exists and I don't want to disclose something that's going to put my PD on edge, but I imagine they're going to want to know why the BME is delaying my license. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
On a venting/frustration side-note: This is why people don't disclose mental health diagnoses. My friend has diabetes, which could very easily affect his ability to perform his job, but he doesn't have to provide documentation that he sees an endocrinologist regularly. I feel like I'm being punished for being honest. Thank god I have savings so I can pay my rent in the event that I start late and don't get paid for awhile. I'm lucky in that respect. Proving my point: just got a text from a friend after she got the mental health spiel at her residency orientation. She says the therapist seems awesome and she'd like to go see her, but she's thinking twice about it because of what's happening to me right now.

There is a reason many people in psychiatry, if they choose to see a therapist or psychiatrist, pick someone who is cash pay and unconnected to their institution.

My program is thankfully fairly good about just mass sending round a spreadsheet of private practice folks who are not affiliated with our department but have a good report so no one even has to ask for a recommendation.

It's unfair and it sucks. No disagreement there.

Not all states are this strict. What state is this, if you're comfortable with letting us know.

There is a huge difference between "seeing a therapist" and being admitted for a serious psych problem. I don't agree with it and think all of these rules should be changed, but I can see why some BoM'S might be concerned. Very few states require that you report seeing a therapist for routine psych care.

To the OP's question, there's a good chance your PD already knows about this. In many states, a training license is a joint application between the resident and the program.

Hi everybody. I have bipolar disorder type 2. My last hospitalization was 8 years ago for a depressive episode. I haven't had a manic episode in 12 years. .

Do you mean you haven't had a hypomanic episode in 12 years?? Any manic episode would mean the diagnosis is bipolar 1 rather than 2. You will need to be very precise in your dealings with the PHP.

As a psychiatrist, I'm sorry you have to be going through this, but I wish you all the best and hope everything gets sorted out as quickly as possible. You did the right thing by being honest on your application, though!

do an SDN search through my posts on residency job and mental health issues maybe

the big thing is to be proactive, always compliant, and always secretive yet honest

it's a balance, but yeah

you shouldn't lie to your program, but I would try to find something to say about the delay that doesn't disclose your MH issue