MedPed IV....AND Peds IV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johhny5Alive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been discussed but I was wondering if anyone has some personal experience.

I am an IMG applying for MedPeds and Peds. As an IMG I have been scared $h1t-less about this whole application process and there applying broadly in the NY/NJ/PA area. I have received and interview at 2 separate hospitals now for both the MedPeds and Peds programs.

From what I have read on SDN: It appears as though the majority of people suggest cancelling. I don't want to cut myself short and cancel any interviews.

Now for the question: After speaking with a PD of a highly competitive Peds program (that also has combined residency) his advice was to attend any and all interviews. He suggested being prepared to asked why Ped vs MedPeds in each interview.

Conclusion? Do I cancel? Do I call the PC/PD and attempt to coordinate my interview dates between the 2 separate programs (Peds and MedPeds). Or do I keep my mouth shut and make 2 different trips?

Thanks! Goodluck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on how set you are on medpeds. If you are for sure medpeds and not peds then just go to the medpeds one. If you are unsure then go to both. IMO it doesn't hurt any to go on as many interviews as you can unless time and finances are a constraint. I would email both PC's and explain your situation. Everyone in the medpeds world understands that most people apply to both medpeds and IM or medpeds and peds because of such a small number of programs. I'm sure they'll be as helpful as they can to coordinate your interviews. Good luck!