Medical vs. Dental school abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shivakush

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm curious about some things I've heard about going to medical school abroad compared to dental school.
I've heard that it's relatively easy to go to medical school abroad and then come back to the US as an internationally trained doctor. All you have to do to become a doctor in the US is take a board exam.
For dentistry, however, if you train abroad and want to come back to the US... you have to go through three years of school again. Basically, it seems like the process is way more restrictive for dentists who want to come to the USA.
Why is this so? I'm a pre-dental student who had the idea of studying dentistry abroad, but after finding out how restrictive it is, it looks like I'm "locked in" to studying in the US or Canada. I find this quite frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

You are quite Right. It is much restricted to get licensed as foreign dentist. I am about to graduate with bds so i have no choice but to do my best to get into any CODA accredited dental residency or get DDS from US (min 2 years). only 20% of foreign dentists make it each year. No to mention that those who got accepted have to pay 60-70k $ for tuition and living per year. So if you don't have funding , you are out. IMGs or foreign physicians have it tough also. They are required to pass much harder tests USMLE ,then they have to get accepted into residency program (min 3 years). Their match rate is 50% . however, they don't have the privilege of getting into a specialty of their choice because US MD get most of good specialities. Only difference is physician training is paid (no tuition) with stipend for the resident. Whether he is US citizen or foreigner. If you are considering both schools. Definitely choose Medical school, you will be in much better position

You are quite Right. It is much restricted to get licensed as foreign dentist. I am about to graduate with bds so i have no choice but to do my best to get into any CODA accredited dental residency or get DDS from US (min 2 years). only 20% of foreign dentists make it each year. No to mention that those who got accepted have to pay 60-70k $ for tuition and living per year. So if you don't have funding , you are out. IMGs or foreign physicians have it tough also. They are required to pass much harder tests USMLE ,then they have to get accepted into residency program (min 3 years). Their match rate is 50% . however, they don't have the privilege of getting into a specialty of their choice because US MD get most of good specialities. Only difference is physician training is paid (no tuition) with stipend for the resident. Whether he is US citizen or foreigner. If you are considering both schools. Definitely choose Medical school, you will be in much better position

Totally agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile