This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurePA33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently accepted a position as a full time Medical Scribe that will require me to work 4 times per week. I am graduating from undergrad next month and I plan on applying to PA schools this time next year. I still need a few classes/I am planning on retaking one or two. I have been accepted to enroll in a postbacc program to get the classes I need. My original plan was to start my classes right away this summer, but now that I have an opportunity to work as a scribe I am leaning more toward waiting to take any classes. They are offering Organic Chemistry 1 this summer and that is a class I need. Is it doable to work full-time as a scribe and still stay on top of this class? This would be the only class I take. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean you are the only one who can decide that. If you have the work ethic and the drive to put in the work I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Just know it is going to suck. Working a full time job and going to school is hard enough much less taking a content heavy course like orgo I over the summer. Just be prepared to work your ass off and understand you likely won't have a ton of free time. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I was an ER scribe, and its pretty daunting at first, but you get the hang of it in about 3 weeks. I worked in a busy ER in a large city, your work setting might be different. I also took Ochem, not at same time working, which was probably the hardest class of my undergraduate career. Is it doable, very much so. Will it be fun, no. Will the first month or so stress you out, most likely. It really all depends on where you work, and how much medical terminology and how much about EHR's you know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was an ER scribe, and its pretty daunting at first, but you get the hang of it in about 3 weeks. I worked in a busy ER in a large city, your work setting might be different. I also took Ochem, not at same time working, which was probably the hardest class of my undergraduate career. Is it doable, very much so. Will it be fun, no. Will the first month or so stress you out, most likely. It really all depends on where you work, and how much medical terminology and how much about EHR's you know.

Thank you for your response! I am still deciding on whether or not I should get right into the prereqs I need or wait a little bit. I still need to take Biochemistry as well... would you recommend taking O Chem before Biochem?

Thank you for your response! I am still deciding on whether or not I should get right into the prereqs I need or wait a little bit. I still need to take Biochemistry as well... would you recommend taking O Chem before Biochem?
PS. I did take O Chem my freshman year (bad mistake on my part) and I was not ready for it at all, so I will be retaking it for a better grade, so I have gone through it once already, but it was a semester long course, not a summer course.

Biochem is another hard course. I would take O chem before Biochem, but it doesnt matter to much as they are not entirely related. I hated all chemistry....gen chem, ochem, and biochem...