Medical Retina Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedRet2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was hoping that someone could offer insight as to the strongest medical retina fellowships in the US.
I am looking to apply to start in 2017 (applications open June 1) and wanted to visit my top 3 choices to get to know the programs.
My goal is to join a 1-year program that has good clinical volume which is diverse (med ret, uveitis and some genetics/VEU), is academic with a good number of mentors (3+), and an added bonus would be being able to do some cataracts to keep up my skills.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry but I don't think you're going to find a medical retina fellowship that allows you to perform cataract surgery.

In my opinion the top 3 medical retina fellowships are Bascom Palmer, Duke and Iowa.

NEI is also reputable.
USC has undergone some change with the whole Doheny split and they lost Sadda.
UCLA has one but I think it's more medical genetics oriented.
Michigan has a relatively new fellowship. So does MEEI.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Best medical retina fellowships, IMO - VRMNY (Freund, Spaide, Yannuzzi), UCLA (Sadda & Sarraf, among others including Gorin), Duke, BPEI

Some good ones above. Since my training days, the number of med ret fellowships has probably doubled, so I may be leaving some off. Apologies in advance!

Duke and BP are arguably the top two among the well-established programs. I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise.

NEI is strong, but very academically-oriented. If that's what you're looking for, great!

The whole USC/Doheny breakup really changed things. It would have been in my top 3, but I'm not sure how the UCLA/Doheny and separate USC are working out. Sadda is the strong point at UCLA/Doheny. USC has Moshfeghi (and to some extent Puliafito), as well as Humayun.

Iowa and Michigan are perennial top tier departments, but I don't have specific knowledge of their med ret fellowships. I think they're both relatively new.

Other programs to consider include Vanderbilt (Agarwal is truly the heir apparent of Don Gass), MEEI (Gragoudas), Tufts (Duker), Northwestern (Jampol), and Toronto.

There are a couple academic/private practice fellowships that offer a good mix of experiences: NYU/VRMNY (Yannuzzi) and UK/Retina Associates of Kentucky.

Any updates this year? I didn't see the duke program on their website, is it still around?