Medical Oncology Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stedari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM-PGY2 here planning to pursue a career in heme-onc. Initially, I thought I was most interested in malignant heme, however after a couple months on BMT/malignant heme service, I may not be as crazy about it as I originally thought. I would like to delve into solid tumor/med-onc side a little bit more, but wasn't sure where to start. So, I have a couple questions:
- Any recommendations on good initial resources for solid tumors/medical oncology?
- Should I be concerned that I don't necessarily love the complexity of AML and BMT if pursuing a heme-onc fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

not sure if i understand your first question. if you are wondering how to get started with med onc, you can see if you can get an OUTPATIENT med onc elective. outpatient oncology is very different from inpatient world.

regarding your second question: you will deal with acute leuks and BMT approximately 3-4 months. if you can survive that, most practitioners rarely see leukemia or BMT. most hem-oncers dislike leuk/BMT and never deal with it on purpose.