Medical "Mentorship" this summer (LOR)

idemandeuphoria

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what forum I should put this in, so I'm just guessing.

I'm going to be a college freshman this fall with the intention of being premed. Yesterday I just got a call that I had been accepted into a local medical internship! I was rejected last year, so I was pretty nervous about applying again. This year I was much more qualified with 200 hours of hospital volunteering along with an awesome part-time job.

Only one other person was accepted into my session this year, so I think it's going to be very personalized. (In previous years, there were six students). They call it an internship but really it's a big shadowing experience of different doctor specialities at multiple hospitals (outpatient and inpatient). I know we are expected to complete reports and things like that. Our coordinator is an amazing lady who was actually the first woman to graduate from her medical school.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to ask for a letter of recommendation from my coordinator at the end of the experience? In case I ever needed a recommendation from a doctor for like a volunteering or work or research position in my undergrad? I'm pretty naive to all this, haha.

Also, if anyone has any advice on being a part of this experience, I'd love to hear that as well!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They will be surprised if you don't ask for a letter

Reactions: 1 user