Medical Background and Eligibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Want to be a soldier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have some questions here about elegability, basically I don't want to be a liar or end up being discharged for fraudulent commissioning.

First I should say that I applied for and was offered an HPSP scholarship but have yet to actually commission. Now here comes my questions 1, I forget to list a possible medical issue and 2, I'm not sure if something that was accurate at MEPS is still 100% accurate now.

For the forgotton medical issue, sorry ladies if this is too much information, but in high school one day I woke up with some discomfort in my testicles and it persisted for several days. I had not been injured and had no other signs or symptoms. It only lasted a few days, I didn't visit a doctor, was never diagnosed with anything, and it never happened again (this was maybe 7ish years ago) is this something I have to go back and report somehow?

For the possible change in condition, I told the MEPS doctor sometimes I felt kinda depressed, he asked me a few questions about it and said it was fine, there are different kinds of depression, that mine was just situational and not an issue for the military. He said no waivers would be needed. I did however visit a school councellor after MEPS when I found out I had access to them. I guess what I'm getting at with this is I want to know if having seen a counselor changes things? Like I said, I told my doctor about it and he said there was no issue but does an "ok" situational depression become a problem if you talk to someone about it? Before MEPS I had never seen a councelor, therapist, psychiatrist, etc. I opened up to my doctor and was honest with him and he said it was ok so I don't want to have been honest at MEPS yet still get busted for a fraudulent commission because I have since seen someone.

If I can join the military I want to, and maybe I'm making mountains out of mole hills but some input here would be great. I want no guilt on my conscience.

Members don't see this ad.

#1: If you didn't have to go to the doctor for it and it hasn't caused anything disabling I wouldn't worry about it.

#2: I would list it when they ask for updated medical info. As it stands the info you gave at MEPS was accurate at the time, so you haven't done anything wrong. Read through your paperwork and see if there's a mechanism to report updates on your status.

#1: If you didn't have to go to the doctor for it and it hasn't caused anything disabling I wouldn't worry about it.

#2: I would list it when they ask for updated medical info. As it stands the info you gave at MEPS was accurate at the time, so you haven't done anything wrong. Read through your paperwork and see if there's a mechanism to report updates on your status.

Thank you for your insight.

If there's no record, don't worry about it.