Med Students Dating Med Students in Same Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused Post Med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does someone always suffer from this? Can it be mutually beneficial?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great if it works -- Bad-to-awful if it doesn't. Simple as that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to do it, wait. Don't start going out with the first girl you talk too during orientation. You'll form all the same friends, study habits/groups and essentially your medical school world has them at the middle. If things go south you'll need friends and study groups that you formed outside of them. A lot of the successful couples I've seen didn't start until 2nd or 3rd year.

From my experience the people preaching "Don't **** where you eat!!" are never the ones that have actually dated within their class. As someone about to go into their third year, I can tell you that there are a LOT of people dating within my class, and I can only think of 1 relationship that ended poorly. If you find someone you click with, go for it. Just handle things like a mature adult and don't be an idiot.

Reactions: 7 users
From my experience the people preaching "Don't **** where you eat!!" are never the ones that have actually dated within their class. As someone about to go into their third year, I can tell you that there are a LOT of people dating within my class, and I can only think of 1 relationship that ended poorly. If you find someone you click with, go for it. Just handle things like a mature adult and don't be an idiot.

I am one of those people who preach that because from MY experience most of the chicks in my med school class are annoying.. insecure.. emotional..catty.. etc.

I can go on and on.

Actually... that includes most of the guys too so I just don't like socializing with any of my classmates tbh lol

@DetectiveAlonzo thats depressing..

I haven't started school yet but I'm going to be attending medical school where everybody will be on edge and stressed out, they're going to need an outlet. I don't mind helping out, we are humans after all, ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard it's not uncommon for med students to be "involved" with each other.

And it makes sense, med students obviously have a lot in common. It just seems "messy" to me.

If your name is Gaston and you are 6'0+and have a 250+ on Step 1, med school girls will be into you. Go for it.

If you are under 6'0 and have an average or below average Step 1, they will look at you like you are the Beast. Belle only happens in Disney movies....

Reactions: 8 users
if attendance is not mandatory, prob works out fine. If things end in a bad manner, just stop going to campus for a while besides the random mandatory stuff.

Most people get lonely in medical school and want understanding/comfort from someone else. Some people use tinder, some date in their class

@DetectiveAlonzo thats depressing..

I haven't started school yet but I'm going to be attending medical school where everybody will be on edge and stressed out, they're going to need an outlet. I don't mind helping out, we are humans after all, ;)

Just depends on the type of person you are.

Social interactions stress me out. I'm good at home with a nice subway sandwich and some netflix.

Reactions: 5 users

I know people who say "don't crap where you eat" but...my fiance and I met our very first month of medical school. We have a lot of friends who were couples in school, too. Never rule it out!

Reactions: 3 users

Social interactions stress me out. I'm good at home with a nice subway sandwich and some netflix.
I prefer Jimmy Johns, but to each their own. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happened all the time in my (small) med school class. No major drama with break-ups that I remember hearing about.

I think as long as you don't act like a child, it can be fine. Just understand that you may have to work with someone if it doesn't work out.

I'm married since before med school so I don't have any personal experience, but I'm with @DokterMom on this. I know of couples who fell in love in school and got married and are going to live happily ever after. I know of couples who imploded spectacularly. Up to you if the risk of the latter is worth the benefit of the former.

If your name is Gaston and you are 6'0+and have a 250+ on Step 1, med school girls will be into you. Go for it.

If you are under 6'0 and have an average or below average Step 1, they will look at you like you are the Beast. Belle only happens in Disney movies....

Except for generally asking for people's Step 1 scores is rude and also Gaston is a jerk.

I think the risk is less if you eventually express interest in someone you know well and get along with. Rando drunken one nighters can get awkward

Reactions: 4 users

yeah everything is fine with this except the subway sandwich. Really your comfort food is a footlong? Dam get some lasagna or beef bourguignon or something.

yeah everything is fine with this except the subway sandwich. Really your comfort food is a footlong? Dam get some lasagna or beef bourguignon or something.

A turkey footlong with crushed lay's BBq chips in that thang...

mmmm mmmm good.

Reactions: 1 user

Lol my wife told me that she would have not been with me if I was
- a DO
- sub 250 steps
- under 6 feet

Hope she ain't serious lol.

lmfao you're my favorite poster

Reactions: 4 users
I'm married since before med school so I don't have any personal experience, but I'm with @DokterMom on this. I know of couples who fell in love in school and got married and are going to live happily ever after. I know of couples who imploded spectacularly. Up to you if the risk of the latter is worth the benefit of the former.

Except for generally asking for people's Step 1 scores is rude and also Gaston is a jerk.
But Gaston had an impressive bench press max!

- a DO
- sub 250 steps
- under 6 feet

Damn , do you have a 15 inch dong too?

I started a relationship in medical school and I'm very, very happy. We were friends for a long time beforehand, though. It's awesome to have somebody who understands how much medical school monopolizes your time, so that's a big plus.

You don't 5hit where you eat.

Hm
I started a relationship in medical school and I'm very, very happy. We were friends for a long time beforehand, though. It's awesome to have somebody who understands how much medical school monopolizes your time, so that's a big plus.

Thank you for sticking to the question

I started a relationship in medical school and I'm very, very happy. We were friends for a long time beforehand, though. It's awesome to have somebody who understands how much medical school monopolizes your time, so that's a big plus.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
QUOTE="Confused Post Med, post: 19042964, member: 858698"]We wouldn't get married for a few years but it's crazy that we could even see each other that way[/QUOTE]

You can edit your posts so you don't have to appear like you are responding to yourself if you instead meant to clarify something you said in a previous post.

Do you see the "edit" button?

QUOTE="Confused Post Med, post: 19042964, member: 858698"]We wouldn't get married for a few years but it's crazy that we could even see each other that way

You can edit your posts so you don't have to appear like you are responding to yourself if you instead meant to clarify something you said in a previous post.[/QUOTE]

lol thanks just wanted to preserve the integrity of the conversation but again, I'm new to this forum

Multiple pairs of former classmates have gotten married. I don't think any pairs that actually "dated" (i.e. became exclusive, not just hooked up) broke up.

I met my boyfriend of 4.5 years in my med school class, and we couples matched into the same program (I'm med-peds and he's peds). The key to this working is to have an agreement that you won't treat each other like ****, and it one of you cheats on the other, let it go and break up if necessary.

I met my boyfriend of 4.5 years in my med school class, and we couples matched into the same program (I'm med-peds and he's peds). The key to this working is to have an agreement that you won't treat each other like ****, and it one of you cheats on the other, let it go and break up if necessary.
Depending on your definition of "working" is I would argue it takes a lot more than that to make it work.

I just don't get why anyone would voluntarily sign up for the nightmare that is the couples' match, or go their separate ways for residency and inevitably be involved in a cheating scandal... Just doesn't compute. Also, med school girls... Amirite @DetectiveAlonzo

Also, the individual that led me to ask this question seems to have a major dependence on adderall. He does have an ADD diagnosis, but has to take the medication every day just to function, regardless of the activity. Does anyone have experience with someone that fits this description?

Awful Awful AWFUL decision. there are only two outcomes from this, it works out or it doesn't work out and you are stuck with the most AWFUL and awkward situation ever. Do not be tempted, the risk is too high! This is from someone who has made this godforsaken mistake.

Awful Awful AWFUL decision. there are only two outcomes from this, it works out or it doesn't work out and you are stuck with the most AWFUL and awkward situation ever. Do not be tempted, the risk is too high! This is from someone who has made this godforsaken mistake.

Ok

...Have you taken a psych/behavioral science course yet? If he has a genuine ADHD diagnosis, it makes a heck of a lot of sense that he needs the medication to function (especially in medical school which requires insane amounts of concentration/focus) and it's probably not a dependence...that's like saying a type 1 diabetic has a dependence on insulin because they need it every day to function. Technically they are dependent on it, but it's because they have a disease, not because they're addicted to insulin. There is a lot of ADHD in my family and they are all over the place without their meds. If they want to get anything productive done, whether it's for school/work or something else, they need their meds.

I'm familiar with the clinical aspects of the ADD, I just have never dated anyone with it or who takes medication for it. I guess that's what I'm hoping for insight on, if anyone has it

I just don't get why anyone would voluntarily sign up for the nightmare that is the couples' match, or go their separate ways for residency and inevitably be involved in a cheating scandal... Just doesn't compute. Also, med school girls... Amirite @DetectiveAlonzo
while cumbersome, the couples match is amazing - much less stressful than when the people are different years. At least that's the sense I got from watching both types of couples go through it.

This person will stay up for days at a time, And not wake up till the evening hours on weekends. Is that normal?

- a DO
- sub 250 steps
- under 6 feet

I'm literally all of these things....but barely.