This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I take, dental school or med school?

• Med school

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Dental school

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

LePeiter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I have applied to both dental school and med school. I got in to both!
The problem: I thought that my gut feeling would help me out on this one but it didn't do its part, me very disappointing :p.

My question to you guys is what is the pros and cons for both fields? and could you guys pls help me out to choose one

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!

The problem: I thought that my gut feeling would help me out on this one but it didn't do its part, me very disappointing :p.

My question to you guys is what is the pros and cons for both fields? and could you guys pls help me out to choose one
You got into both? Exactly when are you scheduled to start each? :rolleyes:

Seeing as it's the end of July, you either got into medical school remarkably fast or you have about a week to make this decision. What exactly is going on here?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't you know the pro's and con's to both field before applying? Also don't medical school class begin soon? ...I feel like you are making all this up.

Reactions: 4 users
Dental school in late august and med school late september

Dental school in late august and med school late september
Late September? Really? I'm curious as to which medical school starts in late Sept.

And...it's quite impressive that you were smart enough to get into both medical and dental school and haven't yet learned that the months are capitalized.

Reactions: 1 users
Late September? Really? I'm curious as to which medical school starts in late Sept.

And...it's quite impressive that you were smart enough to get into both medical and dental school and haven't yet learned that the months are capitalized.

I asked nicley if ppl wanted to help me out but here you are being a grammar nazi. English is not my first language nor my second but thanks for pointing that out, I guess...

Reactions: 3 users
I asked nicley if ppl wanted to help me out but here you are being a grammar nazi. English is not my first language nor my second but thanks for pointing that out, I guess...
Guess I'll do my job then...it's spelled nicely and the other is people. Interesting though that you understand grammar nazi...considering English is not your first or second language.

Okay, but I'll play along anyway. What country are we talking about? Are you deciding which to chose straight out of high school, or have you been to college?

Do you like working in people's mouths? Or would you rather have the opportunity to choose your specialty after a few more years?

I personally cannot imagine being a dentist, but my husband's best friend is finishing dental school and loves it. Good luck!

Well it's in Europe...

Ok, well I'm sure (hope) you've seen the countless threads about how difficult it is match into US residency after attending a non US MD. If you're willing to accept those risks then go to medical school I guess; I say this with no knowledge about dentistry or dental school. Ask yourself which of the two will make you happier, or fulfill whatever it is you value in life.

I just find it bizarre to be premed, go through the rigors and requirements, apply, get in, then ask on a forum whether or not dental school is better.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm kinda bored this afternoon, so I'll play along some more. For us to be able to offer you any practical advice we need some information...

What country in Europe are we talking about?
Do you plan to practice in Europe? or in the US?
What is the cost difference in attending medical school vs dental school in Europe?
How many years of training required for each in Europe?
How much do dentists and doctors typically make in Europe?
Back to one of my earlier questions...is this straight out of high school, or have you attended college? If so, where? US or Europe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, well I'm sure (hope) you've seen the countless threads about how difficult it is match into US residency after attending a non US MD. If you're willing to accept those risks then go to medical school I guess; I say this with no knowledge about dentistry or dental school. Ask yourself which of the two will make you happier, or fulfill whatever it is you value in life.

I just find it bizarre to be premed, go through the rigors and requirements, apply, get in, then ask on a forum whether or not dental school is better.

I understand your point and I agree with it. But to apply for med school you only have to finish high school with good marks in bio, chem and physic. I have come to a point were both pros and cons weigh equally for med and dental. I was also thinking of doing the residency in Europe instead and work there.

I understand your point and I agree with it. But to apply for med school you only have to finish high school with good marks in bio, chem and physic. I have come to a point were both pros and cons weigh equally for med and dental. I was also thinking of doing the residency in Europe instead and work there.
On the outside possibility that you are legit, we are not going to have the answers for you here in a pre-med forum for the US, and neither will they in the pre-dental forum. You should scan further down the list for the European forum and ask your questions there, as they pertain to going to school in Europe.

I'm kinda bored this afternoon, so I'll play along some more. For us to be able to offer you any practical advice we need some information...

What country in Europe are we talking about?
Do you plan to practice in Europe? or in the US?
What is the cost difference in attending medical school vs dental school in Europe?
How many years of training required for each in Europe?
How much do dentists and doctors typically make in Europe?
Back to one of my earlier questions...is this straight out of high school, or have you attended college? If so, where? US or Europe?

Well I'm bored too, so gonna answer your questions nicely, better?
The school is free, so no school fee.
Med school, if I choose this specific school, around 70 000 euro.
6 year for both.
Doctors make more by a couple of 100s euro. In the long term they will though make a lot more than dentist.
There is no colleges in Europe only universities. So you can basically go straight to university (med/dental school)
I'm not straight out of high school.

I'm not going to look up comparative differences in Europe vs USA but I will say from my perspective choose dental. If it's similar to the US medical training is longer and harder and in general has more hours after you're done training. If you would be just as happy in either field, why not choose one that lets you work less, still make a comfortable amount of money, and spend more time with loved ones or on hobbies? Seems like an easy choice to me.

I'm not going to look up comparative differences in Europe vs USA but I will say from my perspective choose dental. If it's similar to the US medical training is longer and harder and in general has more hours after you're done training. If you would be just as happy in either field, why not choose one that lets you work less, still make a comfortable amount of money, and spend more time with loved ones or on hobbies? Seems like an easy choice to me.

If you like messing with someone's mouth. For some reason I'd happily do surgery all day, but dentistry just puts me off...

If you like messing with someone's mouth. For some reason I'd happily do surgery all day, but dentistry just puts me off...

I couldn't agree more. I could never do dentistry. But if someone would be just as happy doing something besides medicine that makes good money, easier training, less time commitment, and lower hours? Sounds like a win win to me.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree. I could never do dentistry. But if someone would be just as happy doing something besides medicine that makes good money, easier training, less time commitment, and lower hours? Sounds like a win win to me.

I agree here - if you don't have a strong aversion to working in someone's mouth, then dentistry is definitely a better option in the US.

Is dentistry covered under healthcare insurance where you are in Europe, specifically cosmetic dentistry? I imagine that cosmetic procedures would allow for extra income.

Is dentistry covered under healthcare insurance where you are in Europe, specifically cosmetic dentistry? I imagine that cosmetic procedures would allow for extra income.

I think dentistry is not even covered under healthcare insurance at all. Bc it very expansive to just check your teeth. But it is free for children up to 18.

Hey!

What does your heart tell you? Medicine is a calling.

Guess I'll do my job then...it's spelled nicely and the other is people. Interesting though that you understand grammar nazi...considering English is not your first or second language.

Okay, but I'll play along anyway. What country are we talking about? Are you deciding which to chose straight out of high school, or have you been to college?

Dude why do you seem so offended? U mad bro?

Reactions: 5 users

I thought foreign dental grads couldn't practice in the US at all, and that's why there aren't Carib dental schools? But yeah, this belongs on a European forum

Dude why do you seem so offended? U mad bro?
Because until the OP finally explained a bit in later posts, we were pretty certain he was a troll.

Well- do you want to be a doctor or a dentist? Don't feel like it's that hard, honestly

I thought foreign dental grads couldn't practice in the US at all, and that's why there aren't Carib dental schools? But yeah, this belongs on a European forum

I agree that this should be posted in a European forum but they are not as active or serious. The only formus that are active are the ones that just messing with you. I have already tried this but it didn't go well. The US forum is by far more active and likely to help you out except for some ppl who get offended for some reason..

I agree that this should be posted in a European forum but they are not as active or serious. The only formus that are active are the ones that just messing with you. I have already tried this but it didn't go well. The US forum is by far more active and likely to help you out except for some ppl who get offended for some reason..

Can you give us a little background on the biggest differences between dental and medical practices where you live? It can be strikingly different in the US. Physicians work many more hours than dentists and have to deal with insurance, medicare, and medicaid. Physicians have a lot more paperwork and generally see a lot more patients. However, they also get paid more depending on the specialty. I would be interested in the hours physicians and dentists work, and how reimbursement works in your country. It sounds like you are not averse to either one, so the amount of debt you will take on for training, the lifestyle, and the amount you will be making later might be more important.

Can you give us a little background on the biggest differences between dental and medical practices where you live? It can be strikingly different in the US. Physicians work many more hours than dentists and have to deal with insurance, medicare, and medicaid. Physicians have a lot more paperwork and generally see a lot more patients. However, they also get paid more depending on the specialty. I would be interested in the hours physicians and dentists work, and how reimbursement works in your country. It sounds like you are not averse to either one, so the amount of debt you will take on for training, the lifestyle, and the amount you will be making later might be more important.

Medicine:
I was looking to work in UK but bc of the brexit, it's not likely I would work there anymore. So what I'm looking right is within the EU. The only problem is the language but I dont think it would be a major problem as Europe have a shortage of drs.
Other places are in Scandinavia.

Salary: Around 3000 euro for someone that recent graduated. Gradually it will go up to 3500 euro within 2-4 years if you haven't started a specialty training yet. When started, salary will go up to 4000-45000 euro. It takes 4-6 years of training depending on the specialty. So after 11-12 years the medium salary is around 5600-5900 euro.

Education: The schools tuition fee is around 10 000 euro per year. The length is 6 years so 60 000 euro in debt. This is not included the living expenses.

There are around 15-18 specialty.

Job: Jobs are easy to find. If we talk about Scandinavia, you only work for 8h per day. Drs usually work beyond the working hours due to paperwork but not bc of the patients. So maybe 9h maximum per day.

Dentistry:

Same as above when looking for work, the whole Europe.
Same case as before, there is a shortage of dentist in some European countries. Especially in the UK/Ireland.

Salary: Around 3000 euro for recent graduate. Medium salary range from 3000-4000 euro within 5 years. Medium 3500 euro.
If you do training in a specialty, you will get better paid but what I've seen its usually around 4000 euro. Training takes 2-5 year depending on the specialty. After that medium salary is 4200-4800 euro.
The requirement to do training for a specialty is 2 years of full-time work. so after 10 year 4500 euro salary.

Education: The school have no tuition fee. So zero euro per year.. The length is 5 years and you can start to work as a dentist when finishing 4,5 years. So during school you can already apply and work as a dentist. Living expenses will be minimum as I live close to the university and I will be able to work part-time jobs during my education.

There are around 5-6 specialty.

Job: Jobs are easy to find. 8h per day and there will be paperwork but not as much. Maybe once or twice per month you will work 9h a day.

----
So if I choose the UK, I will work way more hours than 8h. In Scandinavia there is a lot of rules and laws that makes it unusual for someone to work 12-15h for a md or dds.

I took Scandinavia as an example as they have one of the highest taxes in the world. The tax for both profession based on their salary will be more than 30%, so close to 40%. Also bc the dental school is there and is free of charge.