Med school probability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superlove

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm entering into my 5th year as an undergraduate and decided I am really passionate about D.O. I was originally going to apply to PA school or Pharmacy, but fell in love with what a D.O. does. I don't have much more time to strengthen my application since they have already been opens for the 2018 entering class. My GPA is around a 3.43 and science GPA probably 3.2 maybe better. No shadowing yet, trouble with letters of recommendation, and no MCAT yet. First diagnostic was a 490 which I'm worried about, but haven't studied yet and am confident since I'm a 5th year with all my prereqs the information will come back more quickly than someone who is just learning for the MCAT. The last date is September 9th. Sorry this is so long. Should I take the September 9th MCAT and hope I do well or study longer and take the one in January but only be able to apply to a few schools? Also what are my chances of getting in if I got a 500 or so and my GPA. Tons of EC though.

Members don't see this ad.

Study for September and see what happens. If you get above 500 you're looking pretty good. You need to focus on shadowing hours and getting letters of rec. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have to apply this cycle? When was your 490 diagnostic? Starting to study for a September date is just not that much time. It's not to say that it can't be done, but I think it'd benefit you more to apply next cycle. You can give yourself more time to study and get a good MCAT score. Then you can work on securing your letters and getting shadowing hours/improving any other parts of your app that might need it.

If you are set on applying this cycle, then take the September MCAT. January is too late and you'd be risking throwing away your apps anyway. Though, I really can't suggest taking the MCAT at all until you're ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I'm entering into my 5th year as an undergraduate and decided I am really passionate about D.O. I was originally going to apply to PA school or Pharmacy, but fell in love with what a D.O. does. I don't have much more time to strengthen my application since they have already been opens for the 2018 entering class. My GPA is around a 3.43 and science GPA probably 3.2 maybe better. No shadowing yet, trouble with letters of recommendation, and no MCAT yet. First diagnostic was a 490 which I'm worried about, but haven't studied yet and am confident since I'm a 5th year with all my prereqs the information will come back more quickly than someone who is just learning for the MCAT. The last date is September 9th. Sorry this is so long. Should I take the September 9th MCAT and hope I do well or study longer and take the one in January but only be able to apply to a few schools? Also what are my chances of getting in if I got a 500 or so and my GPA. Tons of EC though.
MCAT isn't simply a test over the pre-requisite courses. A lot of us have taken all those courses. Its a whole different type of beast.

Reactions: 3 users
I would make your MCAT target 510+/- 2 points. Then I would study until I could reliably hit the target on full length practice exams. Then schedule the real thing... Good luck!

With that GPA you're going to want all the advantages you can get. Assuming you dedicate your time to the MCAT, youre application will be complete no earlier than October 10ish. So you lost the time advantage. As poster put above, you probably realistically need 508->510 to have some confidence applying. A 490 is far from that.

If you could study 9 hours a day, it could probably be done. I would just wait until next cycle and come in strong and early

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apply next cycle. You have no shadowing hours, and I didn't read anything about clinical and non-clinical volunteering. If you have none of these, your application will get no where.

By the time you get your scores back, and then submit your application for verification, it'll be fairly late in the cycle, so you've already lost the early applicant advantage there.

Realistically, a 505-ish will net you a lot of attention from D.O. schools if you apply broadly. Your GPA is on the lower side, but not terribly low, so you should be good.

EDIT: You won't be able to apply if you take the MCAT in January. Some schools allow a January MCAT, but ONLY if it isn't your first attempt. I honestly can't even think of a school that allows a first attempt January MCAT. So if you're not confident you can hit 505ish on your Septemeber MCAT, just cancel it and wait until next cycle. You'll have way more time to study.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise.

The only time taking a gap year would be significant is if you were talking about matriculating in 2016 versus 2017 because of the merger. Since you don't seem to be a time traveler, just take the year. Study hard, shadow, volunteer and get clinical experience. You're ahead of some by having pre-reqs from pre-PA, but this isn't a decision most people can decide on and execute in the span of a few months. Good luck!

I would schedule sept 9th and start studying intensly now. Take an AAMC Full Length after a few weeks of studying and see where you're at. If you get sub 500 again then I would start considering canceling and taking it in January. You don't need to apply this cycle and frankly I think if you took a year off, shadowed a DO so you could substantiate your passion for this path and hopefully get a LOR. Maybe get a healthcare job, and then take the MCAt in january when you're really ready. Apply as soon as the app opens and you'll be golden!

I can help you with MD degree, there is always an opportunity at off shore medical schools,I can suggest one and I know personally the Assist Dean of the medical school who can help you get in for the Sept,2017 Class.I can also recommend you for the scholarship there,Its an excellent medical school with all the clinical rotations in US,Please contact me for more
Your MCAT score is NOT required.
details at [email protected]
Reported -- spam. And avoid the Carribean!!!!

Last edited:
I know the test isn't just prerequisite based, but having them is a big boost if I still have two months to study. If I can get around 300-500hours of studying time or more in those two months you honestly don't think I can raise my score from a diagnostic? I mean I haven't even looked at MCAT material yet. I also have a doctor friend who said he would write me a letter of recommendation if I needed one. But I thought shadowing one would be better. Aren't diagnostic tests scored lower so you'll buy their practice mateRials anyways? My GPA is low but I also work 30+ hours a week during school, research, lab TA, and other things. So could be low GPA be accounted for by those things? And I honestly think I could get a 505 from two months of devotion.

I hope that's not your actual picture. Privacy is your friend on this website. I would strongly consider changing it

I know the test isn't just prerequisite based, but having them is a big boost if I still have two months to study. If I can get around 300-500hours of studying time or more in those two months you honestly don't think I can raise my score from a diagnostic? I mean I haven't even looked at MCAT material yet. I also have a doctor friend who said he would write me a letter of recommendation if I needed one. But I thought shadowing one would be better. Aren't diagnostic tests scored lower so you'll buy their practice mateRials anyways? My GPA is low but I also work 30+ hours a week during school, research, lab TA, and other things. So could be low GPA be accounted for by those things? And I honestly think I could get a 505 from two months of devotion.

You could study intensely for the next 2 weeks by drilling/doing content review on weak areas and getting familiar with the format of the test. After 2-3 weeks, you can take an AAMC full length and see how you do. If you like your score, then register for MCAT and continue trying to improve and see if you can apply this cycle.

Raise your GPA as much as you can in the time you have left. Your GPA is actually decent (if not particularly impressive) and that combined with your genuine passion for osteopathy will make you an strong candidate.

Do not worry about your diagnostic score. Just prepare properly. My diagnostic score was a 13. My final score was a 34. Proper preparation makes all the difference in the world.

Please take my advice on preparing for the MCAT, because this is a tried and true method. It's a 2-phase study method.

Phase 1: take an mcat prep course. I know they're expensive, but they're totally worth it if you put effort in. Lots of great programs are available (I used Kaplan, which I was very happy with with, but lots of other great options are available). The purpose of this phase is to learn all the tested material at least once. It's mostly a review, but it's so useful. The class also identifies your weaknesses and provides you with practice sections. Follow your instructor's advice.

Phase 2: this is vital. Take a crapload of practice tests. I suggest a bare minimum of 20-30 full length tests. Make sure at least 10 of them are AAMC tests. Alternate days: Day 1 you should take a practice test with full time constraints. Day 2 you should review all the material you got wrong the previous day, and make sure you don't make that mistake again! Then repeat.

Wow thank you so much for the well thought out advice. I think I can make straight A's this semester which would put me back up to a 3.5ish if I can apply after the semester, but that slows my chances of getting an interview from what I hear. I'm studying as much as I can, but have a job until August 23rd. I'm studying at least 3-4 hours a day, but most is review since I've had all my classes. I also plan on taking at least 10 practice tests starting with once a week and review. I'm also going to buy all the EK 501 passages because I feel like they truly give the practice I'm looking for. My biggest problems are understanding and interpreting passages, not the content. So I feel like practicing those will give me the best boost.

I was employed and had a 3 hour round trip daily commute for undergrad. GPA was lower than yours but the experience made all the difference for my application. I was ~3years out of undergrad before deciding to take the MCAT. I didn't have the cash for prep courses so I just bought a few review books and studied for 2 months while working full-time. Get your score 505+ and you'll be a strong candidate (assuming you have volunteer hours and multiple LORs). Stop worrying about your GPA and just focus on the MCAT and you'll be fine.