Med/Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend is considering Med/Psych, but was not sure whether his application would be competitive enough, given the limited # of programs. How difficult are the Med/Psych programs? What is the average USMLE Step 1/2 score? (This combined program's data is not listed in the NMRP website)

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is considering Med/Psych, but was not sure whether his application would be competitive enough, given the limited # of programs. How difficult are the Med/Psych programs? What is the average USMLE Step 1/2 score? (This combined program's data is not listed in the NMRP website)
I really didn't find much info on any of the program sites where I applied. I just kinda chose by geography and where I was likely to want to rank should I be so lucky...also I applied to several select IM and a few FM programs as well, just to keep my options open. My step 1 score is good (COMLEX) and slightly below average (USMLE) but my COMLEX level 2 was off the charts--I know for a fact this helped me some with interviews. Yay for all those years of clinical practice and medical decision making as a PA! ;)

Bumping in case there might be one or two folks who can post some thoughts about their interviews. I've only kept one Med-Psych interview, at MUSC end of January. On the fence but plan to go. What I did notice is there's only one PGY1 resident this year whereas PGY2-5 have 2 or 3 each year. Wondering if that's a fluke or if folks just aren't interested.
Thanks

I believe someone transferred out. Many of the med-psych programs have fairly good match rates but every program usually matches a resident every so often who decides either categorical medicine or psychiatry was their calling. MUSC only has one combined position open this year (last I heard) due to a categorical transferring in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe someone transferred out. Many of the med-psych programs have fairly good match rates but every program usually matches a resident every so often who decides either categorical medicine or psychiatry was their calling. MUSC only has one combined position open this year (last I heard) due to a categorical transferring in.
Interesting. I interview next week...my very last interview of the season, thank goodness!

Maybelline, any idea of how competitive this combined residency is? I mean, if there's only one spot...of course I'm going but curious if I have any real chance when I make my rank list.

Interviewed at MUSC yesterday. The only Med-Psych interview I was able to attend. Really impressed with the faculty, facilities, didactic and enjoyed the residents--and of course Charleston is a marvelous city. Loved it!

Interviewed at MUSC yesterday. The only Med-Psych interview I was able to attend. Really impressed with the faculty, facilities, didactic and enjoyed the residents--and of course Charleston is a marvelous city. Loved it!

Did you end up matching there Prima??

No. I will always wonder if I could have. They had 2 slots this year. I ended up ranking my local FM program first. Just wanted to simplify my life a little. If I were 5-10 years younger I think I would have put MUSC first.

I've also been considering applying for Med/Psych but wonder how it would be in private practice.

Hello, I'm a 3rd year D.O. student who is very interested in psych, but I also have loved both my FM and IM rotations and could really see myself working mainly in an inpatient environment, possibly doing C-L work or working on a combined Med-Psych unit. I also would ideally like teaching and research to be part of my work.

I am looking for a Med/Psych Resident or Attending (ideally D.O., so I can discuss issues related to applying as one, but M.D. is fine too) to discuss Med/Psych opportunities. If anyone is in a position to briefly correspond or to recommend someone for me to correspond with, please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Hello. A 2nd year D.O. student here. I'm wondering if anyone can comment as to the importance of taking the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX in order to remain a competitive applicant for Med/Psych (or FM/Psych for that matter). I have emailed some of the programs so far and the major theme is they accept COMLEX scores but suggest taking the USMLE. Is this what others have experienced too?

Hello. A 2nd year D.O. student here. I'm wondering if anyone can comment as to the importance of taking the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX in order to remain a competitive applicant for Med/Psych (or FM/Psych for that matter). I have emailed some of the programs so far and the major theme is they accept COMLEX scores but suggest taking the USMLE. Is this what others have experienced too?
If they suggest it, that equals "take it". General rule of thumb is that USMLE is used to see how a DO lines up with the MD applicants since it is an objective measure (irrespective of whether it is actually a good measure).

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious: why would someone choose Med/Psych over Psych if they intend to end up in Psych anyway?