Med-Peds help me rank thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chargersfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As interview season is winding down what do you guys think about starting a help me rank thread like they have over in IM?

Members don't see this ad.

I will start, as I am done now ! :banana: def going the fellowship route.

~these are in random order now

Baystate

Vanderbilt

Duke

Brown

Yale

Rochester

Baylor

U Chicago

U Alabama

Indiana

Have at them!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Baystate

Vanderbilt

Duke

Brown

Yale

Rochester

Baylor

U Chicago

U Alabama

Indiana

Have at them!

Is that in your current order or just random? Also do you have a location preference?

My opinion based solely on reputation and fellowship opportunities:
U Chicago > Vandy = Duke > Yale > Baylor =UAB > Rochester > Indiana = Brown = Baystate

Totally random, should have said that . i really don't have a location preference. these are all far from home.

Last edited:
Is Indiana really that low reputation wise? They've been in the US News honor roll for the past two years, 1 behind washu. Their fellowship placement is decent, looks as good as UAB to me.

I think IU Health as a whole is a very good and reputable health system. I just wasn't overly impressed by their medicine training side. I really liked their peds though

I'm a lurker, but I'll play. I don't have much of a location preference and my interests are pretty undefined so I guess I too am mainly interested in the generic "prestige" and potential "opportunities" (research? fellowship? interesting global health initiatives?). Here's my tentative list that changes wildly by the day. Most of my classmates have theirs pretty nailed down already.

Loved Penn, Michigan, UCSD, and Baylor but not sure about order.
Mass Gen got a weird vibe, didn't love, but still ranking high for name/opportunities.
UAB/Colorado, both strong, enjoyed, less opportunities? And Colorado is new which is both good/bad.
Chicago and Hopkins... equally meh. Did not like Chicago's neighborhood and I've done the "Chicago thing" during grad school. Hopkins... their program just isn't me. But good name.
Brown/Cinci/Case... okay. I'd like to combine Cinci peds with Mass Gen medicine.

Penn
Michigan
UCSD
Baylor
Mass Gen
UAB
Colorado
Chicago
Hopkins
Brown
Cinci
Case

UAB and Colorado: "fewer opportunities"? Really? Colorado's rank list for IM was phenomenal, if I remember correctly. I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to do whatever you want from there or from UAB.

My two cents: Just because a program doesn't have 100% of their grads go into fellowship doesn't mean you can't do fellowship in whatever you want from there. I saw quite a few programs with just phenomenal quality of education, and (gasp) not everyone there ends up doing fellowship. It's not because they can't, it's because, believe it or not, not everyone wants to do fellowship. And just because a program has grads who do primary care or hospitalist or whatever, that does not mean that your opportunities are lessened in any way.

Summary: rank on where you think you'll get the best education, and the place that fits your learning style the best. If you go where you'll thrive, the fellowships will come.

UAB and Colorado: "fewer opportunities"? Really? Colorado's rank list for IM was phenomenal, if I remember correctly. I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to do whatever you want from there or from UAB.

My two cents: Just because a program doesn't have 100% of their grads go into fellowship doesn't mean you can't do fellowship in whatever you want from there. I saw quite a few programs with just phenomenal quality of education, and (gasp) not everyone there ends up doing fellowship. It's not because they can't, it's because, believe it or not, not everyone wants to do fellowship. And just because a program has grads who do primary care or hospitalist or whatever, that does not mean that your opportunities are lessened in any way.

Summary: rank on where you think you'll get the best education, and the place that fits your learning style the best. If you go where you'll thrive, the fellowships will come.

I think compared to other places on their list: Penn, Mich, MGH, etc there are definitely less opportunities. For UAB I'm believe there is a regional bias for fellowship placement. With Colorado I'm a little wary of it being a new program. The solid medicine and peds foundations are in place but how is the medpeds identity? I think it will be an excellent program in a few years but I'm not sure I would take the leap this year.

For the OP, those are all excellent programs and I'm sure you will get equally excellent training at any of your top 5. All of your doors will be open if you go there. I think it just comes down to where you want to live. Personally, I would rank them like you have except move MGH above UCSD. However, that is solely based on reputation as I didn't interview there.

I think compared to other places on their list: Penn, Mich, MGH, etc there are definitely less opportunities. For UAB I'm believe there is a regional bias for fellowship placement. With Colorado I'm a little wary of it being a new program. The solid medicine and peds foundations are in place but how is the medpeds identity? I think it will be an excellent program in a few years but I'm not sure I would take the leap this year.

For the OP, those are all excellent programs and I'm sure you will get equally excellent training at any of your top 5. All of your doors will be open if you go there. I think it just comes down to where you want to live. Personally, I would rank them like you have except move MGH above UCSD. However, that is solely based on reputation as I didn't interview there.

For regional bias, I think it goes both ways. Many people who train in the south want to stay there. It's not that they can't go to the northeast (again, I get annoyed with the idea that MGH/Brigham/hopkins will make you a better physician, but I digress), but I think a lot of people just don't want to go there.

As for Colorado, I agree with you on the "new program", but I don't think you'd be hurting for fellowship opportunities. Annoyed with growing pains, yes. Difficulty finding a job after? Not at all.

Thanks for your thoughts. One of my advisors was alarmed that I had Chicago and Hopkins as (relatively) low as they are, so I was wondering if anyone was going to try to talk them up the list.

Thanks for your thoughts. One of my advisors was alarmed that I had Chicago and Hopkins as (relatively) low as they are, so I was wondering if anyone was going to try to talk them up the list.

For Hopkins, only do it if you want the primary care part. Otherwise, you're taking a spot from someone who wants that, you're going to really tick off a lot of people when they realize you actually want to do something else (including the leadership at Hopkins) and you're going to be miserable during the urban months (psych, substance abuse, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on UCLA vs UCSD. I can't decide which program to rank #1. I am interested in doing med-peds hospitalist after residency but I'm not completely closed off to sub-specializing.

UCLA
Pros:
-Amazing medicine program, probably one of the best if not the best medicine programs I interviewed at
-I don't know any other way to put it but the residents were just...cool and super smart
-Living in LA
-Excellent medpeds continuity clinic in Santa Monica
-Large breadth of training with many different types of hospital to train in
Cons:
-Peds side may not be as strong, definitely not as large (I also wonder about the stuff you'll see with CHLA also in town)
-LA traffic

UCSD
-Radys is amazing and basically the only game in town so you'll see pretty much everything
-Solid medicine training at both a county hospital and VA
-Very nice PD
-Beautiful SD weather with less traffic than LA
Cons:
-Seemed overworked, especially on medicine side
-No central continuity clinic, residents are in separate medicine and peds clinic or a community medpeds clinic
-Didn't get along with the residents quite as well as UCLA's

I'm sure with either of these programs I will get excellent training and have my options open after residency. I'm just curious to hear what other people have to say about them.

chargersfan, I think you are one of the lucky few who even got the opportunity to interview at both! i'll PM you some thoughts.

I've got the bookends of my list in order, but I could really use some help with this part of my list...I got along well with everyone and enjoyed aspects of all of the programs and cities. Traditional primary care-bound after residency, so a strong (and true) continuity clinic and enough elective time to explore my various clinical interests are some of the higher program-specific priorities. If anyone has experience, or got major vibes on the trail--one way or the other--from any of these programs, I'd appreciate some input.

Med College of Wisconsin
UMass
U of Kentucky
Ole Miss
U of Illinois-Peoria
Maine Med
Albany Medical College
Western Michigan U

From what I remember, MCW doesn't have a central continuity clinic. The residents work with community medpeds attending. Furthermore, the chief resident told me the patients technically were the attending's patients not the residents. That doesn't really seem like continuity to me. However, most of the residents did love their clinic experience.

Thanks for confirming that for me chargersfan. There's definitely still a lot to like about their program though.

random question: Baystate was my very first interview so I obviously didn't know what to ask. Does anyone else know if Baystate does things like BMT, ECMO, solid organ transplants, etc? I am interested in hospitalist position/possible ICU fellowship so important for me to get exposure to these things during residency. Also, anyone remember if they are 100% on EMR? After seeing reputable programs like Tulane and Louisville which are still on paper charts, I now realize how important it is to ask that question explicitly to every program. I emailed a resident a few days ago to ask these questions and still haven't heard a response... any help would be appreciated!

Go with your gut! :)

Don't worry too much about what other medical students perceive as "reputation." Especially if they didn't interview there.

Hey everyone I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on UCLA vs UCSD. I can't decide which program to rank #1. I am interested in doing med-peds hospitalist after residency but I'm not completely closed off to sub-specializing.

UCLA
Pros:
-Amazing medicine program, probably one of the best if not the best medicine programs I interviewed at
-I don't know any other way to put it but the residents were just...cool and super smart
-Living in LA
-Excellent medpeds continuity clinic in Santa Monica
-Large breadth of training with many different types of hospital to train in
Cons:
-Peds side may not be as strong, definitely not as large (I also wonder about the stuff you'll see with CHLA also in town)
-LA traffic

UCSD
-Radys is amazing and basically the only game in town so you'll see pretty much everything
-Solid medicine training at both a county hospital and VA
-Very nice PD
-Beautiful SD weather with less traffic than LA
Cons:
-Seemed overworked, especially on medicine side
-No central continuity clinic, residents are in separate medicine and peds clinic or a community medpeds clinic
-Didn't get along with the residents quite as well as UCLA's

I'm sure with either of these programs I will get excellent training and have my options open after residency. I'm just curious to hear what other people have to say about them.

Based on your impressions it seems clear to me that you should rank UCLA #1. Living in LA is even a pro, who knew? :)

My *personal opinion* is that if the residents can't even fake it for interview day, they're more overworked than you're likely imagining.

~these are in random order now

Baystate

Vanderbilt

Duke

Brown

Yale

Rochester

Baylor

U Chicago

U Alabama

Indiana

Have at them!

Which fellowship? If it's something less common or competitive (eg Allergy) then it would be advantageous to have it at the institution where you match.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much point in everyone else's rankings if you don't say how you felt about each one. A lot of this is about finding a fit, not USnews rankings.

Having trouble ranking my top 10--they were all great in different ways, and I feel I'd be happy at all of these, which is nice. Thinking about doing either adult of pediatric cards or maybe GI, but want to leave options open for hospitalist or primary care work too.

Not necessarily in any particular order:
UCSD - liked the location, but I've heard that the categorical programs on both sides are tough (not necessarily an issue, sometimes tough = good training), didn't really get a strong feeling from the residents about a med/peds identity
Baylor - strong categoricals, good fellowship matching, residents seemed like they were fun and liked each other, again work very hard, how's Houston as a city?
Brown - great faculty, strong mission in serving the community of Rhode Island, better fellowship matches than I would have expected based on the strenght of the categoricals, but living in Providence?
University of Colorado - being new is both good and bad, categoricals are obviously very strong, do I want to be the guinea pig? Denver was cool
Rush - Chicago is an amazing city and the residents seemed very happy. nice hospital and great location in the heart of Chicago
Georgetown - loved the faculty here too. Peds is smaller, but medicine is strong, DC seems like a sweet place to live (but expensive), program seems to produce more primary care/hospitalists than fellows?
USC - great training since the residents basically run the hospital, good connections in matching residents to CHLA, etc. LA is +/- with the traffic, patient population seems underserved but homogeneous
UMD - impressive fellowship matching, very career-oriented, didn't get a good feel for how the residents are or how it would be living in Baltimore
Case Western - great categoricals, as someone else mentioned probably would match very well. Cleveland was better than expected from the bus tour, and the price of living is nice, but not sure if I'd want to spend 4 years there
Ohio State - strong med/peds presence in the hospital, residents seemed great, Columbus has some cool places, but it's still a small town

I need some last minute opinions guys. I'm trying to figure out in which order to rank these programs: UPMC, UNC, Indiana and Ohio State. What do you think???

I need some last minute opinions guys. I'm trying to figure out in which order to rank these programs: UPMC, UNC, Indiana and Ohio State. What do you think???

I didn't apply to UNC but I ranked UPMC>>Ohio st >Indiana. I was really pleasantly surprised by Pitt. The PD was great and the hospitals were definitely impressive. The other thing I liked was how the same class all rotate together. Them and cincy are the only two programs I know who do that. I wouldn't underestimate the support having your fellow intern rotating with you especially on the first switch.