Med Peds -Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resapp2k16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I want to thank you in advance for your help. I am looking to get a little bit of information to help me and my wife with our rank list. As of right now, my number one choice is Denver. I interviewed a while back and fell in love with the city. Denver is similar to the place that I grew up and it is a place that I could see my self living long term. As I am possibly interested in doing a PICU or MICU fellowship, you cannot beat the training there. I felt like I got along great with the residents and they all seemed happy from what I can tell. For me the biggest selling point is the location. I love snowboarding, hiking, mountains etc. I don't have any concerns with it being a newer program. From what I can tell, the academics seem strong, the residents have a good work life balance, and it is a great place to live.

I was wondering if there are any notable downsides that I am missing. My wife is from the midwest and is thinking about staying there for her residency. Denver is her number 1 or 2 but before we make it our number one, we want to make sure that we are not missing anything glaring.

Members don't see this ad.

Having lived in Denver recently, I can tell you that it's a wonderful place to live and offers a great quality of life. Rents are very high for a non coastal city due to its desirability. And if you end up there, you do not want to live anywhere directly adjacent to Anschutz. One downside to Denver that comes to mind is that it's relatively isolated from other large cities. To get virtually anywhere, you have to fly. Good thing DIA is one of the biggest and best airports in the country.

Hope that helps.

I didn't interview there, but an applicant wrote on the interview spreadsheet:

Downsides: medicine residents seem overworked, and assistant PD was abrasive and demanded a list of my interviews. Also a newer program without all of the kinks worked out. Probably the most impressive M-P residents I met on the trail.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I remember the Med-Peds residents saying from my interview day is that their peds training is slightly different than the categorical peds residents because they only really spend time at the Children's hospital in Aurora (and the M-P clinic). Apparently, categorical peds folks get more bread-and-butter cases at another Denver site that Med-Peds residents don't yet have access to (I believe it was a funding issue 2/2 it being a community site, but I may not be remembering that exactly right).

Aside from that, a few things like Med-Peds conferences are still in the works but no obvious deal breakers as far as I could tell.

I'm also strongly considering UC as my #1 for Med Peds. I'll PM you.