Measuring Organ Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_UROLOGY_RESIDENT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I figured this would be the best place for my question.

I'm a medical student, and am working on a project with one of my anatomy faculty. For one aspect of the project, we would like to use abdominal X-ray to measure the length of the kidneys. The problem is that some of the images I am using don't have a scale.

Is there a way to measure the length of an organ based on the X-ray alone?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to know
1) the pixel spacing
2) the magnification factor

DICOM images will encode the pixel spacing data. DICOM image viewers often have a ruler that shows you mm or cm. The magnification factor is typically ignored/not encoded. You have to decide if your images differ significantly in their magnification (ratio of distance between xray source and kidney divided by distance between source and detector plate).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a med student any project you do should be geared towards getting a publication. Not sure if measuring kidneys is the way to invest your time...

Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I figured this would be the best place for my question.

I'm a medical student, and am working on a project with one of my anatomy faculty. For one aspect of the project, we would like to use abdominal X-ray to measure the length of the kidneys. The problem is that some of the images I am using don't have a scale.

Is there a way to measure the length of an organ based on the X-ray alone?

Don't measure standing in cold water.