MD vs DO Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artist27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some old threads saying that the two personal statements shouldn't differ that much but it looks like the DO personal statement directly asks, "In the space provided write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to become a DO."

Do I need to make an entirely new PS or can I tweak the one I have and just add a tiny bit about osteopathic medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I think tweaking is ok. I made some changes in mine but left it relatively similar. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I used the AMCAS personal statement to write my AACOMAS statement. Both are going to say very similar things so there is no sense trying to reinvent the wheel. The AACOMAS statement is shorter which makes it that much more challenging imo. You have to make the same points, with fewer words.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most students submit the same PS since most DO schools ask "why osteopathic?" anyways in their secondaries.

I pretty much copy/paste my AMCAS personal statement into AACOMAS. However, as somebody mentioned above, you get fewer characters on the DO primary. I eliminated a section of my PS that was centered on my research experience since the DO schools don't emphasize research as heavily as the MDs, and kept everything else the same while mentioning my experiences shadowing an osteopathic PCP. It worked out for me, so don't stress too much about writing an entirely new PS!

Why you want to be a DO is probably not all that different from why you want to be a physician, if at all.

Highly suggest writing your DO one first-- it's a lot easier to add words if you want to for the AMCAS version than to take words out but also add "why osteopathic if you go the other direction.

Reactions: 1 users
"Why DO?" was asked in every single secondary. My PS was the same for both.

I think most students submit the same PS since most DO schools ask "why osteopathic?" anyways in their secondaries.

"Why DO?" was asked in every single secondary. My PS was the same for both.

Even though it is mentioned in the PS prompt, it should be fine if I don't fully address it? The way it is worded makes it seem like they want us to write why I want DO specifically, not any doctor. I had assumed it would be an almost identical prompt to the AMCAS one, but found out otherwise.

Thanks for the help guys!

I used the same statement in both. Identical, did not adjust or modify. I got into DO school. Having identical PS didn't seem to hurt me.
Frankly there isn't that big of a difference between DO and MD that it calls for an entirely different PS.
I want to be a DO for the exact same reason I wanted to be an MD, because I wanted to be a "doctor".

Even though it is mentioned in the PS prompt, it should be fine if I don't fully address it? The way it is worded makes it seem like they want us to write why I want DO specifically, not any doctor. I had assumed it would be an almost identical prompt to the AMCAS one, but found out otherwise.

Thanks for the help guys!

No, nowhere in my personal statement did I ever even use the word Osteopathic. I just said, "physician."

I want to be a DO for the exact same reason I wanted to be an MD, because I wanted to be a "doctor".

Bingo

The only thing I see different is the summary line:

MD: "...and that's why I will be a great doctor!"

DO: "...and that's why I will be a great osteopathic doctor!"

We know you use the same essays for both types of schools. We don't take it personally. We DO take personally if you're too stupid to not replace the name of the MD school you sent one essay to, with my school for our app.

I've read some old threads saying that the two personal statements shouldn't differ that much but it looks like the DO personal statement directly asks, "In the space provided write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to become a DO."

Do I need to make an entirely new PS or can I tweak the one I have and just add a tiny bit about osteopathic medicine?