MD Programs for those not residency minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused Post Med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there MD programs better suited for students who intend to end their training after graduation and pursue a career that does not require residency? I.e., policy/ administration

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that Yale has a fair number of people who are interested in policy/admin/business -- probably a greater proportion than at other schools. But even people who want to go down those paths for the most part still plan on finishing residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please research DHA programs, or at least MHA and MPH.

Thank you for your reply. DHA? What does that stand for?
Doctor of Health Administration. I know you you have been interested in the title of Doctor, but don't want to practice. This is not a terribly common degree but it does exist.
There us also a DrPH degree to work in public health.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually graduated from one of these degrees before applying to Medical School. It certainly caused doubts for admission committees and interviewers. I understand the reasoning. Why go through all of the medical school if you don't want to be mainly practice medicine? It's a shame because the knowledge and insight gained from medical school are still valuable in non-clinical settings. healthcare really is team based, and non-clinicians/administrators need a Doctor's medical input. That said, when I reapplied to medical schools, I made sure to downplay my background interests in administrative roles, and instead heavily emphasize about the clinical side of medicine. Worked! Doing it all over, I would have gone to medical school first and then gotten an MBA if I was still interested. Some schools allow you to take a year or two off in between M2-M3, and you can do an MBA. They won't advertise it so much, but you should research programs and see if there are options to do something like that in between M2/M3 or M3/M4. Something to be mindful of is that sometimes students who just finish taking Step 1 and then do something else like a PhD or a Master's struggle when they begin rotations because they forget so much.

I don't see the utility of having an MD alone with no clinical training in being an administrator. You get some flavor for clinical medicine, sure, but not enough to make you effective. On the other hand, completing a residency in something that gives you a good broad perspective on healthcare and some experience being "in the trenches", like internal medicine or family medicine would, in my mind, set you up to be a much better administrator.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't see the utility of having an MD alone with no clinical training in being an administrator. You get some flavor for clinical medicine, sure, but not enough to make you effective. On the other hand, completing a residency in something that gives you a good broad perspective on healthcare and some experience being "in the trenches", like internal medicine or family medicine would, in my mind, set you up to be a much better administrator.

I agree. The experience of medicine as a med student does not necessarily reflect the realities of modern medicine.

Dude(ette)! Start looking into public health and health administration. And stop opening multiple threads on basically the same topic; you could have asked all of your additional questions (well, except for the one on dating) in your first thread. And you're not going to get a different advice from the one you already got by opening multiple threads.

Dude(ette)! Start looking into public health and health administration. And stop opening multiple threads on basically the same topic; you could have asked all of your additional questions (well, except for the one on dating) in your first thread. And you're not going to get a different advice from the one you already got by opening multiple threads.

Hard to keep track. But point taken. And, kind of new to this