MD/PH.D vs just MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aclayp95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that the MD/Ph.D vs MD question has already been asked, but I'm curious specifically about neurology and neuroscience. Aside from better funding, what would you be able to do as a neurologist MD with a Ph.D in neuroscience, as opposed to just being a neurologist?

Members don't see this ad.

The PhD on its own doesn't mean anything. You don't magically get funding or more funding because you have one.

If you want to do basic research, you need basic research training. An MD doesn't provide that. You can get basic research training with a PhD or with research time not involving a PhD (fellowships, post-docs, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
This is a common misconceptions that Neuronix has cleared up wonderfully in some of his(?) blog entries about MD/PhD (seriously, check out Neuronix's page for more information about MD/PhD, when you should, and when you shouldn't go for MD/PhD).
http://www.neuronix.org/
I kinda fangirl about Neuronix, sorry.

An aspiring neurologist wouldn't get her/his PhD to be some kind of "super neurologist with better funding."
It's so much cooler than that once you get into it! It's so you can be active in both the development and the implementation of the medicine you are practicing. The clinical perspective augments your capacity as a researcher and vice versa. It sounds like you are lacking a solid concept of why people get both degrees, which, in my mind, absolutely has to be a pre-requisite for trying to get both degrees.

The PhD on its own doesn't mean anything. You don't magically get funding or more funding because you have one.

If you want to do basic research, you need basic research training. An MD doesn't provide that. You can get basic research training with a PhD or with research time not involving a PhD (fellowships, post-docs, etc).

Hello fellow ladies and gentleman, I need some advice on my current situation, or at least guidance as to where to post my situation.
I haven't yet started medical school, but am planning to apply this June/July, as I am currently studying for the brutal MCAT. My interests are a bit similar to the OP, but a bit different. My deep interests and passions lie in learning about neuroscience (i.e. neuroanatomy, neurotransmitters), but more specifically, how neuroscience connects back to consciousness. I would absolutely love to have my efforts focused towards studying neuroscience as it relates to consciousness and altered states of consciousness (i.e. meditation, states of sleep-if you consider these altered states, drugs such as marijuana, LSD, stimulants). In addition, I do also love learning about sleep disorders, but not the most common ones you would see as a sleep medicine doctor such as sleep apnea, and insomnia. I like more of the exotic types such as narcolepsy, somnambulism, sleep talking, sleep paralysis, and how these would have a neuroscience correlate. I've also always had an interest in the more "taboo" or "non-mainstream/socially accepted" subjects such as parapsychology (Out of body experiences, Near Death experiences, lucid dreaming, astral projection) and how these once again can be related/traced back to neuroscience. For instance, Dr.Rick Strassman (MD), wrote a fascinating book called "DMT-The spirit molecule", which looked at how the drug DMT affects people and what they experienced. Essentially he looked at how it related back to the brain, and what people's experiences were (looked at pineal gland in relation to secretion of DMT, along with many other things I'm not mentioning). Moreover, my interests would be in how we can link neuroscience to metaphysical phenomenon as I mentioned above, such as out of body experiences. How can the brain be used and or/studied as an intermediate or tool between this world and spiritual/metaphysical experiences. I did some research as an undergrad but never in a neuroscience setting so I'm not sure exactly what it would be like if I do in fact choose to pursue a Ph.D in neuroscience. I know that the stability, certainty, and salary of a Ph.D differ substantially from an MD and that's what scares me. I'm also a good writer which I think would go hand in hand with a Ph.Dr program and interests in the brain. I'm concerned that if I do in fact pursue neurology however (since I have a passion for the brain), I might not find the work as satisfying intellectually or rather personally to keep me interested. As you mentioned you could research it on the side on your own, but it's not the same as being very involved in the space. You would be more inclined to diagnosing as doing long assessments of patients to treat more bread and butter cases such as dementia, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, epilepsy, MS, Parkinson's disease, and headaches/migraines ( versus remembering things you learned in neuroanatomy class and recalling different Pathways in the brain and stuff like that).

Moreover, I have done volunteer work for 3 years or so at UCLA Santa Monica medical center/Ronald Regan medical center/Kaiser/and at a hospice (worked with mostly Alzheimer's and dementia patients) and found the experience of talking with patients to be interesting. I mean I don't love working/treating patients, but I don't hate it either. I'm in the middle, and I don't know if that would be enough to keep me going through med school considering my passionate interests. I'm worried about if med school will be something that I will stick with or say half way screw it I don't want to do this. I'm an extrovert for the most part and do connect with people and like making them feel good and smile, but I don't know if diagnosing and treating diseases is something I'd be passionate about. Nowadays in our society (I live in California) I hardly find anybody who's "passionate" about what they do, and I think it's a cliche at this point. At the same time, however, the job prospects for Ph.D's who want to get a tenure-track or remain as a basic science researcher are quite daunting. I'm debating whether to pursue an MD route or a Ph.D route, but am not sure at the current moment as I am really trying to pinpoint what exactly my passion about neuroscience is. I think the above description gives a great overall idea, however. I'm wondering if an MD-Ph.D would be better route such that if the research doesn't pan out (not enough funding since my interests aren't exactly mainstream or clinically applicable/socially acceptable), I would have the M.D. to fall back on. As I said I like working with people and socializing with them but don't know if I would really be as passionate with it as I am more interested in learning about neuroscience.

There may have been some things left out that would give you guys a bigger picture of where I'm coming from, but at this moment in time I'd really appreciate some feedback as to help guide me in the right direction. Feel free to ask me questions that might make it easier for you to help me. Thank you very much!