MD-Only Position in East Central FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inflamesdjk02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are looking to hire an additional anesthesiologist for a partnership position at our practice in East Central FL, in a suburban, beachside community with a ~300 bed community hospital. In addition, we cover several offsite locations including ambulatory surgery centers, eye centers, and endoscopy. We will be expanding services within the next year to cover a cardiac electrophysiology suite in the main hospital.

Bread & butter of our practice includes general surgery, ortho, urology, OB/Gyn, plastics, vascular, neurosurgery, and endoscopy. We do cardiothoracic which are almost exclusively covered by our 2 CV anesthesiologists. Occasionally you may be asked to do thoracic or outpatient peds. No trauma, no neonates, no sick peds.

Must be proficient in regional blocks, thoracic and lumbar epidural, a-line, central line. TEE proficiency appreciated but not required.

1 year to partnership. The first year is a salaried position which is about 3/5 of partner salary.

Call: Approximately 4 weekday calls/month and 1 weekend/month (includes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd call on weekends).

Model: MD-only, fee-for-service, unit values are pooled and averaged, W-2.

Vacation: Unpaid (except for salaried 1st year). 4 weeks 1st year, 6 weeks upon becoming partner (depending upon preference - can be more or less).

We would ideally be looking for a younger, qualified candidate to join our family but will consider any serious applicants. Having a connection to Florida is important but not a deal-breaker. Serious inquiries please email CV and any questions to: [email protected]

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

We're hiring again due to expansion of the hospital services. Please PM or email me if interesed (email probably better). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not gonna get a "quality person" with a lousy 4 weeks vacation. Nurses get more.
Not to mention that's unpaid vacation. Most private groups I've heard of are in the 6-8 week mininmum range, paid, and that's in a desirable job market area (ie: not East central Florida).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not to mention that's unpaid vacation. Most private groups I've heard of are in the 6-8 week mininmum range, paid, and that's in a desirable job market area (ie: not East central Florida).

I'm sure you could probably find 8 or more weeks vacation supervising CRNAs somewhere. As far as desirable places to live, I love it here. I like the smaller town feel, I live on the beach, no crime, great place to raise a family, etc.

If you have a problem living comfortably making $350K/year, then I don't know what to tell you.

No offense but why are people giving the OP a hard time? I have no problem with people chasing the recruiter away but this is a legit job that someone came here posting about. This may discourage future people from posting jobs because they don't want to feel the ridicule on an internet message board. If the job doesn't sound "great" to you, so be it.

Thanks for posting inflamesdjk02, good luck with finding someone.

Reactions: 5 users
When you're not supervising CRNA's you don't need those extra few weeks of vacation to keep from blowing your brains out. And for Christ's sake how much time off do you want to travel when you're already living on a Florida beach??

This seems like a solid option in a market that is otherwise an AMC wasteland.

Reactions: 1 users
"We would ideally be looking for a younger, qualified candidate..."

Read: someone we can take advantage of.

Just like all those recruiters' ads with the phrase "outdoorsman's paradise"...read: middle of nowhere.

Reactions: 2 users
"We would ideally be looking for a younger, qualified candidate..."

Read: someone we can take advantage of.

Just like all those recruiters' ads with the phrase "outdoorsman's paradise"...read: middle of nowhere.

I only say that because most of our group is middle-age to older docs, and it would be nice to have another young guy such as myself (and a couple others already in the group) to balance things out. However, we would consider any qualified candidate. It isn't a scam. And yes, Vero Beach, Florida is a great place to live.

When you're not supervising CRNA's you don't need those extra few weeks of vacation to keep from blowing your brains out. And for Christ's sake how much time off do you want to travel when you're already living on a Florida beach??

This seems like a solid option in a market that is otherwise an AMC wasteland.

Yes, I agree, SaltyDog. I usually spend a couple weeks of my vacation for the year here, where the weather is perfect, it isn't crowded, the beaches are perfect, and I can do as much fishing and golf as I want.

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense but why are people giving the OP a hard time? I have no problem with people chasing the recruiter away but this is a legit job that someone came here posting about. This may discourage future people from posting jobs because they don't want to feel the ridicule on an internet message board. If the job doesn't sound "great" to you, so be it.

Thanks for posting inflamesdjk02, good luck with finding someone.

Thank you. I don't feel discouraged. People are probably just skeptical. I don't blame them. I still get harassed by recruiters and such, and they've probably infiltrated this board. However, I've been a member for a long time. I won't sell you any BS. We have had probably 20+ interested candidates, already interviewed 3, but none have been the right fit so far.

Isn't Florida a bad practice environment for physicians? Don't you guys have to hide your assets or something so that when the crazy malpractice awards are given you aren't left in the poorhouse? Are there any malpractice caps?
That's my biggest problem with the state honestly. Otherwise, I would consider living there. Please let me know if I am wrong though.

While you personally might love Vero Beach, that's your personal opinion. I'm sure it's great for you, but it is kinda in the middle of nowhere and the cultural aspects that some look for are probably lacking. And whether your want to admit it or not, your practice is not in such a hotspot that you have tons of candidates falling over themselves trying to find a job at your group.

On top of that, for me personally, I need minimum 4-6 weeks PAID vacation. That'd be great if people can take more over that and make it unpaid. But if you're on here wondering why you haven't filled your spot, I'd start there. Unpaid vacation makes you look cheap.

As a general question, does anyone else on here in a full time job have unpaid vacation?

Lastly, I have to wonder about your group in general. You've heard from 20+ candidates and couldn't find a single one that fit what your looking for? That's pretty suprising if you ask me. Did the candidates stop showing interest at some point or did you guys turn them all down?

On top of that, for me personally, I need minimum 4-6 weeks PAID vacation. That'd be great if people can take more over that and make it unpaid. But if you're on here wondering why you haven't filled your spot, I'd start there. Unpaid vacation makes you look cheap.

It all depends on your perspective and may be a matter of semantics.

While you personally might love Vero Beach, that's your personal opinion. I'm sure it's great for you, but it is kinda in the middle of nowhere and the cultural aspects that some look for are probably lacking. And whether your want to admit it or not, your practice is not in such a hotspot that you have tons of candidates falling over themselves trying to find a job at your group.

As a general question, does anyone else on here in a full time job have unpaid vacation?

Lastly, I have to wonder about your group in general. You've heard from 20+ candidates and couldn't find a single one that fit what your looking for? That's pretty suprising if you ask me. Did the candidates stop showing interest at some point or did you guys turn them all down?

That's an employee mentality. Every small business owner and true private practitioner knows there's no such thing as "paid vacation". The money has to come from practice revenues. I'd rather have transparency about billings, collections, and expenses than "paid vacation". You may be paying more for your paid vacation than you realize. I'm in a pooled unit eat what you kill group. We have people who take 2 weeks off and some who take 16 weeks off. I know exactly how many units I generate and how much we collect per unit. If I work extra evenings and weekends and do more cases, I get paid more. If I take a lot of vacation, I make less. But it's all up to me. I get zero paid vacation and I like it that way. I don't want to pay for someone else's time off and I don't want them to pay for mine.

My problem with the posted job is the 3/5 partner salary 1st year. Either the volume and unit value is excellent or the 1st year income sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Some turned us down because they were making more in their current location (Ohio, Texas), and "couldn't afford" the salary cut, we turned some down because of poor background checks or their CVs were not impressive. We have a few quality people interested in the pipeline and will probably fill the spot soon. I disagree that Vero Beach, FL is "kinda in the middle of nowhere". Have you been to this area? As far as "cultural aspects", yes, this is not a major city. If you want that, you can drive 1.5 hours to Orlando or 2.5 hours to Miami. There are many famous people that live here, for a reason. The bottom line is, you get to do your own cases, no CRNAs, great place to live, and we have a great group. 1 year to partner. Partners don't make a ton of money. If you're down with that, then this is a good job. I'm happy here.

Reactions: 1 user
I've spoken to Inflames on a few occasions. I don't know him personally, but he was honest and straight to the point. If you don't like the job fine, but don't poo poo him. Money aside it is hard to find good people/ a good group. Those of us who have that make more than our $$ amount every week.

I have always thought it's weird when jobs say "join our family".

Some turned us down because they were making more in their current location (Ohio, Texas), and "couldn't afford" the salary cut, we turned some down because of poor background checks or their CVs were not impressive. We have a few quality people interested in the pipeline and will probably fill the spot soon. I disagree that Vero Beach, FL is "kinda in the middle of nowhere". Have you been to this area? As far as "cultural aspects", yes, this is not a major city. If you want that, you can drive 1.5 hours to Orlando or 2.5 hours to Miami. There are many famous people that live here, for a reason. The bottom line is, you get to do your own cases, no CRNAs, great place to live, and we have a great group. 1 year to partner. Partners don't make a ton of money. If you're down with that, then this is a good job. I'm happy here.

I'm surprised you responded to that. Though I've never been to Vero Beach, facted basically called it a sh*thole. Every town or city in the World has its pros and cons, I am sure we could find many "problems" with any place. Also, as nimbus pointed out, there is no such thing as PAID vacation. Yeah, your paycheck may stay the same each month whether you're off or not, but there is no such thing as a free lunch (and I technically get "paid" vacation).

Again, good luck with the search.

MD-only as in this position will not considers DOs? How common is this?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

If you work 1099 like most of us out west do, all your vacation is always UNPAID. Yes, that's for full timers. Take off as much time as you want but obviously not make any money. If you are an employee, that is a different story. Sounds like this is a 1099 position though.

If you work 1099 like most of us out west do, all your vacation is always UNPAID. Yes, that's for full timers. Take off as much time as you want but obviously not make any money. If you are an employee, that is a different story. Sounds like this is a 1099 position though.

As a partner, I file a W-2. Vacation is unpaid.

Isn't Florida a bad practice environment for physicians? Don't you guys have to hide your assets or something so that when the crazy malpractice awards are given you aren't left in the poorhouse? Are there any malpractice caps?
That's my biggest problem with the state honestly. Otherwise, I would consider living there. Please let me know if I am wrong though.

Knock on wood, I've never been sued. I've been in practice for 3 years. I'm not sure about the malpractice caps. I only know of 1 of my partners being sued, the case was settled out of court.

Hey we need more md only jobs so what's with the critique?!

Our vacation is unpaid and is the norm out west.