MD job options without usmle license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darlyn MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
My wife has a MD with a BS in Biology from Phillipines from 8 years ago
She moved to UK 7 years ago and became UK citizen but couldnt practice being a dr there so she was a health assistant
We met just over a year ago and got married and she now lives in US where she wants to finally go after her dream of being a Dr
She studied for 6 months but failed her first attempt at step 1
She's about to get her green card so she can start working here at least part time
My question is while she studies to retake step 1 or if she fails step 1 again and throws in the towel, what kind of work could she find with her MD(she also did her 1 year internship already)
I also heard its hard to get residency now so if she did pass all the usmle exams but doesn't find a residency what job options are there?
General practitioner?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a very difficult place from which to begin.
Program directors have screens for several criteria in which your wife would be caught: IMG, number of years since graduation and failed a Step. Has she checked the ECFMG website?

She cannot practice as a physician in any capacity without a US residency.
There are options for grads who don't practice: https://www.aamc.org/cim/career/alternativecareers/

Last edited:
What about re-doing medical school in US and then applying for residency as a fresh graduate? It will take another 4 years but if her ultimate dream is being a practising physician and you have financial and physical/mental energy, why not.