MD/DO School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Mind taking a look at my school list? Any suggestions, additions, removals would be appreciated. Thanks!

UC Berkeley undergrad. 504 MCAT. 3.76 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA. CA resident.

MD:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
Charles R. Drew
California Northstate
Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Albany
Miami
Wake
Temple
Roseman
GW
St. Louis

DO:
TUCOM-CA
Western-Pomona
TUCOM-NV
CCOM
DMUCOM
PCOM
NYIT
KCUCOM
RUCOM
ATSU-AZ

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y'all,

Mind taking a look at my school list? Any suggestions, additions, removals would be appreciated. Thanks!

UC Berkeley undergrad. 504 MCAT. 3.76 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA. CA resident. Filipino.

MD:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
Charles R. Drew
California Northstate
Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Albany
Miami
Wake
Temple
Roseman
GW
St. Louis

DO:
TUCOM-CA
Western-Pomona
TUCOM-NV
CCOM
DMUCOM
PCOM
NYIT
KCUCOM
RUCOM
ATSU-AZ
I'm not too familiar with the nuances of MD school admissions, but your stats should warrant a few interviews at some of the DO schools you have selected. If you want to ensure that you don't have to go through another application cycle, I'd add 2-3 newer DO schools to the list. Up to you though. Good luck.

Add more DO schools. You will be throwing your money down the drain at all MD schools with a 504 but I understand everyone's gotta try. I would try to add at least 5 more DO schools because you have added the DO schools that are a little more competitive and like to see higher MCATs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! What DO schools should I add? I'm fine with either DO/MD.

I would remove miami, vcu, and mcw from your MD school (unless you have any affiliation with these schools/states) list and replace them with 3 more DO schools: AZCOM, LECOM, and rocky vista either in utah or CO or both.

Agree with the above poster on taking out miami, vcu, and mcw.

You didn't mention your ECS, but if you don't have tons of community service (something like 800+ hours) I would take out Rush. If you have good research I would consider Virginia Tech. But overall, your MCAT is pretty low for MD, even with that great GPA.

I'm not sure why people are saying to get rid of medical college of Wisconsin which is a private school on the same tier as others on this list, with similar stats, and is know to take california students. I've always recommended other applying with marginal stats to apply here because of that. I know it's anecdotal but I have a half full of acquaintances over the past couple years that have gotten in there with 28 and 29 mcats.

If someone has a reason as to why I'd like to know

Here is a more realistic list:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with Touro-CA and Western

Hey y'all,

UC Berkeley undergrad. 504 MCAT. 3.76 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA. CA resident. Filipino.

MD:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
Charles R. Drew
California Northstate
Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Albany
Miami
Wake
Temple
Roseman
GW
St. Louis

DO:
TUCOM-CA
Western-Pomona
TUCOM-NV
CCOM
DMUCOM
PCOM
NYIT
KCUCOM
RUCOM
ATSU-AZ

Add more DO schools.

Also people seem to be forgetting that there are MD schools that have averages at 504 these days.... Loyola being one of them. Also the average at UCLA this last cycle was 505. A broad MD app might just net an interview or two, the biggest negative for you OP will be being from CA.

Agree with the above poster on taking out miami, vcu, and mcw.

You didn't mention your ECS, but if you don't have tons of community service (something like 800+ hours) I would take out Rush. If you have good research I would consider Virginia Tech. But overall, your MCAT is pretty low for MD, even with that great GPA.

I did two years of AmeriCorps, would that count?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone -- really helpful! I'm definitely aiming for Touro-CA and Western at this point.

Lol, would it be worth applying to UCSF? I have strong ties there and am currently Executive Director of one of their student-run clinics.:whistle: Thoughts??

Apply to vcu, also add TCMC and CMS. I would say take out a few schools, but always apply if you can even if your chances are slim. You really never know. Also add new Michigan schools like CMU and Kalamazoo Stryker.

CA Bear... Go to the "What are my Chances" thread and solicit advice from other experts ( GynGyn & Faha) in addition to Goro (which already provided you advice) in regard to what MD schools to apply to. With a 3.76 GPA in a tough major, at the top public university in the U.S., don't settle. Take a MCAT review class, retake the test, and apply strategically to MD schools.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

CA Bear... Go to the "What are my Chances" thread and solicit advice from other experts ( GynGyn & Faha) in addition to Goro (which already provided you advice) in regard to what MD schools to apply to. With a 3.76 GPA in a tough major, at the top public university in the U.S., don't settle. Take a MCAT review class, retake the test, and apply strategically to MD schools.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thanks! But I don't necessarily think I'm settling for less. I'd be happy with either MD/DO as I've shadowed both (one being an osteopath). I'm just considering all options right now.