This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makingainz127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would love to get your feedback on what MCAT would I need with my stats and background to get into a MD school. Currently, my highest MCAT practice has been a 506 on Next Step, taking the test 6/16.

State: Illinois
School: State School
Science Major
Demographics:
  • Started working before 18
  • Parents less than HS
  • Asian (Indian) Male
  • Grew up in Rural village in India
  • Faced a lot of adversity while growing up (explained in disadvantaged statement)
  • Family uses Medicaid, food stamps, etc.
  • Contribute to family income since HS, dad is a part-time taxi driver and recently cancer patient.
  • Went to a low-income and low-performing HS when moved to the U.S.

GPA: Only 2 B's in undergrad career, Calculus (Freshman year) and Orgo 1 in the summer at CC (Received an A in Orgo 2 back at uni in fall)

EC:
  • VP of 2 Honors Societies
  • Phi Beta Kappa Member
  • 2 Research projects at home school, one clinical and the other biochem based. 1.5 years in biochem lab (Started freshman year) and more than two years with MD working on clinical research (doing my own project now that I designed from scratch). Paid in both positions via grants and work study.
  • Did summer research at a top 20
  • President of an Org that TA's science labs/ tutors science for low-income and minority students. (100+ hours)
  • Writer in college newsletter
  • Vice President of D.O. club (if I decided to go the DO route)
  • E-Board of Pre-Med club at uni.
  • Bi-weekly teach science labs to children in foster homes (70+ hrs)
  • E-Board of org that works on projects closing in disparities in health care (LGBTQ resources/third world countries).
  • Health educator at Peer Health Exchange, teach workshops to disadvantaged minority inner city students (2 years, about 4 hrs/week).
  • Various other things, but you get the idea, I have been part of orgs on campus and have been committed; being part of the executive boards of many.
Work:
  • Research since freshman year was paid via workstudy. (15 hrs/week)
  • Work an office job at school as a student worked for 2 years (15-20 hrs/week)
  • Worked Fast Food at nights during the summer to pay for research commute and family. (30 hr/week)
Clinical/Hospital Exp:
  • ~400 hrs in Hospital ED volunteering (would say this is clinical as my hosp divides us into greater and inside, I work inside alongside docs/scribes bringing things for them and patients).
  • ~100 hrs in shadowing at various hospitals and specialties. Internal Medicine, Radiology, Emergency Med (in the ED I vol at), Cardiology.
LOR's:

• PI who is an MD - strong letter
  • Philosophy Prof - Meh letter (not sure if the prof remembers me, but asked for PS and resume b4)
  • 2 science prof letters - Very strong - took multiple classed with each and did extra honors work with both and VP of an org sponsored by one of them.
  • Dean of my college - strong to good letter - knows me well and is a very supportive/helpful person.
  • DO letter - shadowed a bit.
Thanks for reading everyone, so my question as mentioned earlier is, with having these stats/background/being disadvantaged what would you say would be a good MCAT for me? I apologize if this is too long, new here :/

Also -- if you recommend any schools, please let me know! I have FAP, so planning to work extra and apply to many (30-35 about) as secondaries are mostly waived.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: