MCW Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbucky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So anybody else out there on the waitlist for MCW? Also, anybody know how much movement there's been in the past on their waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

in the past there is usually a decent amount of movement. that being said, i hate to tell you that no one in our class (class of 2011) came off the wait list

Thanks for the info. It's a little reassuring, yet also not with the fact that there was no movement last year, and the increased applicants this year. Hopefully the movement returns this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. It's a little reassuring, yet also not with the fact that there was no movement last year, and the increased applicants this year. Hopefully the movement returns this year.

It seems like last year there was this universal phenomenon where hardly any waitlist movement happened alot of places.. I don't know about MCW specifically but alot of schools were adapting how many outright acceptances they gave this year because of last year in order to have that waitlist movement.. or so i've heard..

Tbucky did you interview on Feb. 8? I interviewed that day, but have not recieved anything yet in the mail concerning a decision.

Tbucky did you interview on Feb. 8? I interviewed that day, but have not recieved anything yet in the mail concerning a decision.

Yeah, I did. However, I live in Madison, so the turn around time for the USPS is pretty quick.

I know started to think that this interview date was primarly for waitlist seats, which really makes me sad....:( hopefully the mail comes tommorow..

I'm kinda thinking that myself, especially with the response I got from my first interviewer. Istwan did say though that some direct acceptances were gonna be given out, but he never did say how many...

May I ask what your first interviewer said? I, for some reason was asked to do a third interview, which makes me wonder what that meant.:eek:

May I ask what your first interviewer said? I, for some reason was asked to do a third interview, which makes me wonder what that meant.:eek:

From what I heard, a third interview means that there was a difference in opinion between your first and second interview. They were giving you another chance to make a good impression.

Thats what I think it means, but I really had thought that both my interviews had gone really good. So, I was surprised they asked me for a third interview as soon as I came back to the orientation room. I guess they pretty much know who is getting accepted on the spot and who is not!!

At the end of my first interview, just before leaving the room, my interviewer told me that she really liked me as an applicant and that she was going to send in her recommendation for my acceptance. So my second interview must not have gone all that well, since I'm waitlisted. As for the third interview, I had one the first time I applied. However, I'm pretty sure I got mine because my interviewer had such a thick accent and spoke so quickly that I couldn't understand him very well (plus it didn't help that I had a cold and couldn't hear anything anyhow), so the whole interview was pretty shot. So they gave me a third to try and get a more accurate representation of who I was. But I knew someone that got a third interview but still got in, so there's still hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of my first interview, just before leaving the room, my interviewer told me that she really liked me as an applicant and that she was going to send in her recommendation for my acceptance. So my second interview must not have gone all that well, since I'm waitlisted. As for the third interview, I had one the first time I applied. However, I'm pretty sure I got mine because my interviewer had such a thick accent and spoke so quickly that I couldn't understand him very well (plus it didn't help that I had a cold and couldn't hear anything anyhow), so the whole interview was pretty shot. So they gave me a third to try and get a more accurate representation of who I was. But I knew someone that got a third interview but still got in, so there's still hope.

I know someone in my class that got a 3rd interview and got in. I got in off the waitlist.

I just got a spot on the wait list at MCW.

Is there anything us waitlisters are supposed to do?

Do we just sit here and wait, or are you supposed to send update letters?

You probably can send an update letter if you want to show interest. There's really not much else to do other than to call when they said you can start calling and see where you are.

You can pray that someone like me gets into their top choice school and opens up a spot for you!

Heheh, j/k but I guess it's probably the reality. Anyways, I hope you get off the darn waitlist!

Good luck!

So the waitlist is ranked but the school doesnt tell you initially where you are at right?

Also, are we supposed to receive any info via email about who our student host will be, or any other specific info for that matter?

So the waitlist is ranked but the school doesnt tell you initially where you are at right?

Also, are we supposed to receive any info via email about who our student host will be, or any other specific info for that matter?

I don't think you'll know who your host is until you get there the night before for the orientation.

they don't match people up until that night. partly because there are always interviewers canceling/not showing up to be hosted

It's in quartiles or something. They don't use a set ranking system anymore.

So does anybody know/remember the date that we can start calling and/or harassing MCW about our position on the waitlist?

So does anybody know/remember the date that we can start calling and/or harassing MCW about our position on the waitlist?

This is a good question! When can we call them to learn more about where we stand on the wait list?

This is a good question! When can we call them to learn more about where we stand on the wait list?

Wasn't it like sometime in mid-May?

Also, does anyone know how many people usually get waitlisted? I know that not all interviewees are waitlisted because I have seen rejections post-interview. I'm just wondering.

Wasn't it like sometime in mid-May?

Also, does anyone know how many people usually get waitlisted? I know that not all interviewees are waitlisted because I have seen rejections post-interview. I'm just wondering.

I'm pretty sure you asked some of these questions in another MCW thread.

Usually it's 20 May that you can start calling.

Only the admin knows exactly how many people are on the waitlist. I don't know how the waitlist numbers are given out now, but they used to say how many people were on the list, so at some point, people can find out. They could technically put everyone who wasn't accepted into the class on there.

I just interviewed at MCW last week, and Istwan told us that we can call them after May 9th.

I think I heard or read somewhere there usually are about 200 people in the waitlist.

I just interviewed at MCW last week, and Istwan told us that we can call them after May 9th.

I think I heard or read somewhere there usually are about 200 people in the waitlist.

I'm curious, did they change the date that people have to commit to only 1 med school? The date to start calling used to start a few days after that.

And yes, the waitlist tends to be around 200. It wasn't 200 when I was on it; it was less.

I'm curious, did they change the date that people have to commit to only 1 med school? The date to start calling used to start a few days after that.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering also. I think that date is still May 15th. Please someone who interviewed two weeks ago verify the date when we can start calling. Maybe I could have heard something wrong.

BTW, has anyone who interviewed March 7th heard from the adcom yet?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering also. I think that date is still May 15th. Please someone who interviewed two weeks ago verify the date when we can start calling. Maybe I could have heard something wrong.

BTW, has anyone who interviewed March 7th heard from the adcom yet?

I interviewed March 7th and got the crappy news in the mail today, so some response should be coming soon. Hope you get better news than I did!!!

As said before you can write letters of recc, send in your credit report, and have everything ready for them if you get taken off the waitlist. I was part of the no-movement wait-list last year. It sucked, but put me in a much better position this year. Mike Istwan was really nice and helpful in terms of evaluating your app and telling you how to improve your chances at MCW.

giving up a spot here, so good luck everyone :thumbup:

bump. waitlisted for 2014