MCAT MCAT Tip: The Most High-yield MCAT Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Self Prep

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are some concepts more important than others? Learning every single MCAT concept perfectly would take someone hundreds of years. Think about it, people spend entire PhD programs studying a single enzyme! Since you don’t have hundreds of years to prepare for the MCAT, you are going to need to prioritize your studying of certain concepts over others.

How can I find out which concepts are the most important? The AAMC acknowledges that not every concept is created equal, and has released a website that outlines their content in a hierarchical nature. Now, to thoroughly read through this entire website would take up hours and hours of your precious study time. For this reason, you should just look at the brief overview for each section. An important part to pay attention to is the section breakdown, which tells you what percent of each subject category you should expect to see in that section. For instance, in the Biology/Biochemistry section, you should only expect to see a few organic chemistry questions because they only constitute 5 percent of that section. Therefore, it might not be the best use of your time to study organic chemistry for hours and hours on end.

What else can I do to better prioritize my study time? The best thing you can do to help yourself stay focused on what is most important is to study with someone who has already done extremely well on the MCAT. Our 99th percentile tutors can help you make a study plan that is extremely focused and personalized, allowing you to make the most of every minute of study time. They will also follow up with you periodically to help you fine tune your study skills and study plan. Don’t wait to schedule your first tutoring session!

Members don't see this ad.