MCAT MCAT Tip: MCAT Equations – Should I Memorize Them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Self Prep

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I memorize MCAT equations? There are hundreds of equations covered by the MCAT and knowing whether or not you need to memorize all of them is extremely important. The simple answer is that you should not spend your time trying to memorize every single equation that might show up on the MCAT. Why? Because more often than not, the MCAT will give you the equation you need to solve the problem. This doesn’t mean you won’t need to have some equations memorized though.

Which equations should I memorize? The AAMC has not outlined in detail which equations should be memorized and which equations should simply be understood. However, as you do more and more practice problems, you will get a feel for what level of equation they will expect you to have memorized. For instance, F=ma is a simple equation that the MCAT will certainly expect you to have memorized. So, while you are studying a good rule of thumb is to memorize simple equations and simply understand the more difficult ones.

How else can I find out what is important and what is not? While studying for the MCAT, it can be challenging to know what is important to study and what is not. For this reason, you should highly consider studying with one of our 99th percentile MCAT tutors. They can give you personalized direction every step of the way, helping you know what is important to study and what is not. Our packages start at just $99, so get started today by scheduling your first free tutoring session.

Members don't see this ad.