MCAT taken previously; considering taking PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davisfenos

Prince Caspian
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've already taken the MCAT, but it's looking (kind of) unlikely that I'll be accepted to an MD school this cycle. I did pretty well (38 old MCAT), and I've retained a lot of the knowledge from the test itself. I wasn't sure if it was worth attending a PCAT course for this reason... should I just buy a set of PCAT books over the summer? Is there one brand that is generally recommended over another? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm totally new to the PCAT and just preparing for the worst!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You could go with the basic Kaplan book, but with you retaining most of the material from your MCAT I'd suggest maybe just doing practice tests? There's also dr. Collins which is the bible of the PCAT that people use, but you can only buy it from people who have bought it from someone else

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So are you going to apply to pharm school now since med schools wont take you? You should first research about pharmacy job market and then make decision about applying to pharmacy schools. If i were you, i would find ways to improve med school app. Because MD>>>>>>> PharmD.

You could go with the basic Kaplan book, but with you retaining most of the material from your MCAT I'd suggest maybe just doing practice tests? There's also dr. Collins which is the bible of the PCAT that people use, but you can only buy it from people who have bought it from someone else

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is very helpful. I'll try to keep an eye out for these. :) Thank you escanoke

So are you going to apply to pharm school now since med schools wont take you? You should first research about pharmacy job market and then make decision about applying to pharmacy schools. If i were you, i would find ways to improve med school app. Because MD>>>>>>> PharmD.

I'm just trying to have a contingency plan for the coming year. This will be by third attempt at MD if I don't get in this cycle, and I don't think I want to waste another year. I will do more research though, thank you for the heads up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
38 MCAT and they won't take you in......makes me question what they don't like about you. Either way if you retain alot from MCAT you should do fine. Just brush up on calculus and take timed practice test. Kaplan or dr.collin will do fine.

I am a pharmacist who is currently a 3rd year medical student. A 38 is a very high MCAT score. To put it in perspective, my MCAT was nowhere near a 38, but I scored a 96 percentile on the PCAT with less effort. The MCAT is much, much harder than the PCAT. If you are capable of pulling a 38 on the MCAT, the PCAT will be a breeze. Don't stress it too much, just pick up a popular review resource and you'll be just fine. That being said, if you really want to be a doctor, do whatever you can to go to medical school. Pharmacy will not be fulfilling if that is not your goal. And the job market sucks. At least that was the case when I was still in the field.

Why not consider PA? Over the years I heard tjat Med school is getting less and less competitive. Should try applying again.

Not sure how you didn't get in. I've seen people get into a DO/MD schools with less stellar CVs than you think...some had a 30-35 MCAT and 3.4-3.9 GPAs.

I'd do a PA. You can definitely do more with that.

Wo
Not sure how you didn't get in. I've seen people get into a DO/MD schools with less stellar CVs than you think...some had a 30-35 MCAT and 3.4-3.9 GPAs.

I'd do a PA. You can definitely do more with that.
Wow they got in with 3.9? Guess they will take anyone these days...

Reactions: 1 user