MCAT Scores for MPH Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

Hey everyone! I'm kind of looking for some advice. I just graduated from Rutgers University New Brunswick this past May with a BA in Biology. In June, I took the MCAT and I am still waiting for my scores. To be quite honest, I don't know if I'll be able to be accepted to medical school and if I really want to pursue it. I'm trying to take time off and figure out my life. I'm very passionate about preventative health and primary care. So, I've been very drawn to the field of public health. If I happen to do okay on my MCAT (80th percentile is my aim), do I need to take the GRE as well? My GPA is a 3.858 and if I were to pursue an MPH, I was considering aiming for top tier schools. In that case, is it better to take the GRE if I were to pursue an MPH and aim for a higher score? Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would certainly double-check on admissions websites for the schools you're interested in, but I know many will accept the MCAT in place of the GRE (Brown, for example: MPH Program Admissions | Master of Public Health (MPH)). Also, keep in mind that most of the top-tier schools (Harvard, JHU, UNC, etc) require a couple of years of relevant work experience before you can apply, so make sure you fulfill that requirement too!

Of course, if you aren't happy with your MCAT score, you could always take the GRE - maybe you'll do much better compared to your MCAT score!

The vast majority of MPH programs accept MCAT scores, and 80th percentile + your GPA will be very competitive. Just be sure to look at the specific requirements of the schools/programs you want before deciding not to take the GRE.

Also, re: what @rap15 said about relevant experience, "relevant" is loosely interpreted by many schools. Do your research and don't let that sway you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input! I'll be sure to look up specific school requirements.

What kind of experiences do you think would be helpful towards admissions?

Would working in a research lab/volunteering in a healthcare setting be considered relevant experience in your opinions?

Yes, that would absolutely count as experience. I think pretty much anything that relates to health, healthcare, or quantitative research (in any field) could count as experience if you spin it the right way in your personal statement.