MCAT prepration test on may 19th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jokes of life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really concerned because I have studied for almost 3 months now reviewing contents and doing kaplan questions online, but my first AAMC 5 test score overall was 16 :(
7 on PS
5 on BS
4 on VR
I'm not sure on how to study for the test maybe,I'm not a slacker and I'm working really hard but none of the study methods are working for me. I took the Kaplan course and completed all their content and online subject and tropical tests, my section tests when it comes to long passages seems to go below a 50%. I have done really good in my college course work, but when it comes to MCAT I don't understand where I'm going wrong. I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone on what I should be focusing on this point, because I have exactly one month before my MCAT and I'm really doing bad on the overall test.
On my kaplan full lenghts I usually get a 20 and it remains there it doesn't go up anymore.
Can someone send me some links to how to approach VR and BS passages. At this point I'm only planning on reviewing all my fulllenghts and section tests and passage test that kaplan provides for my learning. Is there anything else I should incorporate into my studying that will help me raise my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess a good place to start would be:

1. How are you studying? Do you only do notecards / formula review? Only textbook reading? Only practice problems? A mixture?

2. Are you scoring low across the board in VR and BS, or are there certain concepts that give you more trouble than others? Look for trends, and try to identify which areas are your weak ones in each subject, then focus on a wide variety of study methods.

I'm a big believer in combining notecards/flashcards with practice problems. I'd recommend taking a practice test each Saturday, analyzing the results, and focusing on your problem areas when you study during the week. When I did that, I saw my scores increase steadily from test to test.

I made notes when I went over the Kaplan tropical test, that has all the questions I missed when I took those tests, I didn't use any of the flash cards provided so far. I will start using them, I spend most of my time reviewing those notes and kaplan High yield questions. I have read the text book already and made notes of stuff i kept forgetting,
My highest sore in PS was a 9 and BS and VS score was a 7.Its usually not a specific topic that tend to give me trouble, In VR dense passages with two or more viewpoints usually consume my time and slow me down. I tend to run out of time a lot and end up guessing towards the end. It almost cost me the score of an entire paragraph, on all BS PS and VR. I try to do upto 2 FL per week as the MCAT is approaching. I have only one class at school this semester, so most of my time is devoted in MCAT studying, but its so dissapointing to see such low score after going over all the content reviewing.