MCAT for HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2be9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into my first choice medical school through a BS/MD Program; I do not have to take the MCAT in order to attend. Lucky I know. My question is this: Is the MCAT a requirement in order to receive the Navy HPSP scholarship? If so, what is the average MCAT score for scholarship recipients? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

You are better off going and asking your medical recruiter. They wanted a copy of my MCAT score, but I was not in your situation. The #1 priority is a letter of admission, so if you have that without a MCAT I don't think they will be that worried about it, but check with recruiter.

Thanks for your response. I am trying to reach the recruiter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a 6 year BS/MD program? From my understanding, won't you be required to take the MCAT between the 2nd year of BS and first year of MD? If it is a six year program, I believe they will only pay for the 4 years of it that are MD.

I did ARMY HPSP and did not take the MCAT. I had no problem. A med school admit is better than a 45 MCAT score. Don't even think about taking the MCAT. If the recruiter tells you otherwise, just tell them thank you, but you'll pass on the program. He/she will change his tune in a second.

Ed

I also did not take the MCAT due to an early acceptance program for the MD. I've know a few that did 6 year combined programs and didn't take it either--all Navy. There was a little confusion on this at first (not sure if it was the recruiter or higher up), so I simply printed off the details of the program from my school's website that stated "no MCAT requried" and that solved the problem.

Letter of acceptance is good enough, but they won't start paying until you actually start the medical school part.

Thanks a lot. It is less a 6 year MD program and more a guaranteed spot for me at my first choice medical school. I am going into my junior year of undergraduate now. Can I apply for the scholarship now and just have it deferred until I actually start medical school. I do have my letter of acceptance and it does say no MCAT required. Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks a lot. It is less a 6 year MD program and more a guaranteed spot for me at my first choice medical school. I am going into my junior year of undergraduate now. Can I apply for the scholarship now and just have it deferred until I actually start medical school. I do have my letter of acceptance and it does say no MCAT required. Thanks again for all the advice.

Apply next summer. Should be no problem.

How competitive is the Navy HPSP 4-year Scholarship. I have seen everything from "If you can get into medical, you can get the scholarship." to "extremely difficult." I saw where the Navy barely filled half of its HPSP scholarships a few years back (2006). Is this still the case? Thanks a lot.

How competitive is the Navy HPSP 4-year Scholarship. I have seen everything from "If you can get into medical, you can get the scholarship." to "extremely difficult." I saw where the Navy barely filled half of its HPSP scholarships a few years back (2006). Is this still the case? Thanks a lot.

This. Just apply in plenty of time so you can get a slot at ODS before your first year of med school.

This is true, back in 2006, only half of HPSP was filled. After that, they started giving large signing bonuses and the slots were filled (I guess money talks). My assumption is that it's more competitive now (especially since they increased to stipend too) than before but if you apply early, shouldn't be a problem.

This is true, back in 2006, only half of HPSP was filled. After that, they started giving large signing bonuses and the slots were filled (I guess money talks). My assumption is that it's more competitive now (especially since they increased to stipend too) than before but if you apply early, shouldn't be a problem.

It is getting more competitive. Generally, if your MCAT is less than 24, the answer will be no unless you have other mitigating factors. GPAs need to be above 3.0

I think you would need over a 24 MCAT and 3.0 gpa in order to get into medical school anyways.

I think you would need over a 24 MCAT and 3.0 gpa in order to get into medical school anyways.

Most allopathic schools will dump the application if there is a 7 or less on any given section. I have seen some of the newer osteopathic schools accept students with 14's.

I have been accepted into my first choice medical school through a BS/MD Program; I do not have to take the MCAT in order to attend. Lucky I know. My question is this: Is the MCAT a requirement in order to receive the Navy HPSP scholarship? If so, what is the average MCAT score for scholarship recipients? Thanks a lot.
Hi, If you don't mind me asking.. How did you get accepted to the med school without taking the mcat? Is there an option like that?

Hi, If you don't mind me asking.. How did you get accepted to the med school without taking the mcat? Is there an option like that?
If you take a look at the time stamps on this thread you will see it was nearly seven years ago. Doubtful you are going to get a direct answer from the op. If you'll note the op says it was a bs/md program. This means they applied to it out of high school and will attend the same institutions for college and med school. Some of those programs I think require the students to still take the mcat but apparently not the one the op was accepted to.

If you take a look at the time stamps on this thread you will see it was nearly seven years ago. Doubtful you are going to get a direct answer from the op. If you'll note the op says it was a bs/md program. This means they applied to it out of high school and will attend the same institutions for college and med school. Some of those programs I think require the students to still take the mcat but apparently not the one the op was accepted to.
Ok, thanks for the response.

I just saw this and was about to comment to the OP and then realized I did comment back in 2010 under the name RugbyJC. I saw this comment, so Ill try to answer that. There are a few programs that offer "early assurance" or combined undergrad/med school programs. You are accepted either out of high school or in your first year or two of college. A few schools in NY did this and I attended one. Its a much more stress free way to go, but at the same time there are some cons too, but this is at least one way to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I just saw this and was about to comment to the OP and then realized I did comment back in 2010 under the name RugbyJC. I saw this comment, so Ill try to answer that. There are a few programs that offer "early assurance" or combined undergrad/med school programs. You are accepted either out of high school or in your first year or two of college. A few schools in NY did this and I attended one. Its a much more stress free way to go, but at the same time there are some cons too, but this is at least one way to do it.
Makes Sense. Thanks.