MCAT 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosejayhawk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently graduated with a BA in economics and completed all pre-med requisites [including both semesters of ochem and biochem 1] except for the second semester of biology. I started pre-med very late and took an extra year to graduate, and now I'll spend the next year working, improving my application, and very important-I need to get started on preparing for the MCAT.

Generally I did well on my coursework and pre-med coursework. However now I'm not sure how to get started for the MCAT. I don't think I can prepare and take the last MCAT date this year.

And so how would I go about preparing for the topics for the 2018 MCAT, knowing which updated books to get, and preparing a study plan? From looking around SD over the years I know that getting the right materials and study plan is crucial to doing well on the MCAT but don't know where to "start."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Khan Academy; start with biomolecules/biochem, then molecular biology, then tissue/organ biology, then inorganic chem, then organic chem, then physics, the the behavioral sciences. or really do it in any order you want, or mix them up from day to day.

if you are looking to purchase something either the Kaplan or Princeton "7 book set" are good, but if you note the AAMC website the only materials they recommend to prepare is the free Khan Academy videos as mentioned above

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above. Khan Academy has partnered with the AAMC to complete a free comprehensive (but not exhaustive) review for the MCAT. I'd definitely suggest starting with them before paying for a full set of review books from 3rd party company.

Also, with regards to "where to start", I'd suggest taking a diagnostic exam. Several companies offer a free diagnostic and there are even a few free full lengths floating out there. While you should ignore the score you receive, pay close attention to your percentage-correct and thought processes throughout the exam when you review it. Whichever you feel was most difficult or felt that your logic was most off-base is where you should start your review.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
In your pre-reqs, did you take Biochem? If not, I totally recommend it!
Look at the MCAT discussions forums at the sticky posts for ideas for study plans! Good luck!

The MCAT forum on here has tons of helpful strategies and suggestions for which books are most helpful (kinda depends on how much depth and detail you need).