MBA During Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for the EM gurus out there. My residency apparently offers free tuition toward an MBA, which is completed largely online. My length of training will likely be 6 years long (EM/IM/CC). Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to knock this out part-time during residency?

I imagine if I spread it out over 5-6 years, the course load will not be too crazy.
Also, most likely, I would not start during intern year as I want to get accustomed to the chaos of residency first.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Groovy, thanks dudes. Think I may look into it a bit more during intern year if I am not getting my ass kicked too much.

Don't plan on anything less than getting your ass kicked thoroughly during intern year, I agree with tiger26. Second year might be better, there are also some administrative fellowships that will pay for it, if you're willing to do another year of training.

MBAs are a dime a dozen from a business standpoint. If you're at a top ten school then it would mean more than from university of Phoenix to be honest.

MBAs are a dime a dozen from a business standpoint. If you're at a top ten school then it would mean more than from university of Phoenix to be honest.

True, however, they're not a dime a dozen when accompanied by an M.D. If you want to do business without being a physician, you need to go to a top school, but at this point in the game for us, it's about learning the principles rather than having a pedigree.

True, however, they're not a dime a dozen when accompanied by an M.D. If you want to do business without being a physician, you need to go to a top school, but at this point in the game for us, it's about learning the principles rather than having a pedigree.

Learn the principles from university of Phoenix or pick up a book and teach yourself if all you want to learn is business principles. Business school is about networking as much as it is about learning principles. If you want to be a CEO of a hospital having an MBA from a big name helps more. Also, learning from people who are alot more successful than you helps. Lower tier programs have a bunch of PHDs that haven't really done much.

You can teach yourself the principles from the books like many of us did for the first two years of medical school.

Question for the EM gurus out there. My residency apparently offers free tuition toward an MBA, which is completed largely online. My length of training will likely be 6 years long (EM/IM/CC). Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to knock this out part-time during residency?

I imagine if I spread it out over 5-6 years, the course load will not be too crazy.
Also, most likely, I would not start during intern year as I want to get accustomed to the chaos of residency first.

Thoughts?

If you have any interest in this at all, you should be all over it. An MBA combined with an MD is very useful, and the knowledge base will let you communicate with admin better than your non-trained colleagues. The fact that your program covers the tuition is awesome. Once you're an attending, it gets pretty expensive. When I looked around at tuition for a peMBA (physician's executive MBA), it ranged from 50k-90k. Getting that for free would be great.

I'm shocked that a residency program would be willing to pay for MBA's at all. First, it's usually expensive. Second, the goal of the residency should be to train you to be the best physician you can be. If you're going to business school, that's time taken away from studying medicine.

A few weeks ago I started compiling a list of cheap MBA's that might be useful for attendings and posted it in the MBA forum.

I'm shocked that a residency program would be willing to pay for MBA's at all. First, it's usually expensive. Second, the goal of the residency should be to train you to be the best physician you can be. If you're going to business school, that's time taken away from studying medicine.

A few weeks ago I started compiling a list of cheap MBA's that might be useful for attendings and posted it in the MBA forum.

ACPE offers MBA through them that I believe is relatively cheap. You could add that to your list perhaps.

So you'd be triple boarded and have an MBA? Way to make the rest of us look bad, lol.

Thanks guys, I will get settled into intern year and then look to probably start PGY-2. I think being EM/IM with an MBA is a perfect set-up for interdepartmental leadership roles.