May 19th MCAT application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny L

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT on May 19 and will probably get my scores mid to late June. Is there any point in rushing to submit my app on June 1st, or should I just wait until I get my scores before sending things in? I've heard that schools won't read the app until it's complete, so is there any benefit to me if I submit on June 1?

Members don't see this ad.

From the 2018 AMCAS Instruction Manual:
"Note, AMCAS does not need your scores to verify your application. You may either submit your AMCAS application before or after the release of your MCAT scores."

Therefore you can still benefit from submitting your application on June 1st, to get ahead of the verification queue and into the school's mailboxes on June 30th. The common advice for this situation is to submit your app with only one school listed (one that you would apply to regardless of your score). You can always add more appropriately-targeted schools after you learn what your score is.

I took the May 13 MCAT, so I won't have my scores until mid-June. I still plan to submit my primary on June 1, with my two state schools designated. I would have applied to those two no matter what my MCAT turns out to be.

When I get my scores back, I'll decide what other schools to add to my list, and since my verification *should* already be done by that time (or very shortly thereafter), my primary *should* be able to go out to my entire list of schools on the first day of transmission.

I think the conventional wisdom is to designate a "reach" school for verification purposes, but I don't have unlimited funds and don't want to throw away a spot on my school list (and the associated application fees) on a school that I almost certainly won't get into.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app