Mature Entry Into Medicine with PLC CAO Points? (400)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lightspeed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there I wanted to ask a question about mature entry into medicine.
So to begin:

I'm twenty two and I have the following qualifications:
94% Distinction in Anatomy and Physiology QQI Level 5
Introduction to Phlebotomy and advanced phlebotomy and cannulation OCN Level 3 certificate and license, I'm currently studying post leaving certificate in Pre-university Science which in the end gives me 400 CAO points if I work and study very hard to get distinction.

I've never done my leaving cert since I dropped out of secondary school for several reasons mainly one was to do with my mild Asperger syndrome since back then I felt like I wasn't atuned to secondary school since I felt like a child still being in primary school. It was unfair and hard to adjust since when I was sixteen it felt like I was still thirteen. Now since I'm twenty two I decided I wanted to do something with my life and back to what I truly wanted. I have a passion for medical science and medicine in general. My family are all in the medical field and I started to grow a passion from it through my father. Unfortunate for me though I came out "special" I mean I guess being a aspie I can retain a lot of information since of my spectrum just as anyone else like a book.

My main question here is, Is it possible for me to get into medicine through my pre-university science if I get my 400 CAO points which will combine with the HPAT.

Or should I go back and study for the regular leaving cert?

Or should I go ahead and try out an access program after pre-university science and then get into medicine as a mature student?

As I mentioned I love anything to do with medical science and medicine and I know how competitive it is and challenging but I always love a challenge. And I'm not one to give up easily even if sometimes we dont get in I dont think I'd ever let that ruin my dreams of becoming a junior doctor.

I been reading up and doing my research and many say that it all relies on the HPAT scores but then again when I keep seeing the leaving cert requirements.. It makes me uneasy because I only have a post leaving certificate to achieve. Its why Mature Entry seems like my only chance.

All your replies mean greatly to benefit me.
Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum section.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I'm really late but in case you aren't already accepted:

Irish schools for the 5-6 year programs generally do not interview. So I would contact Atlantic Bridge and see which ones you would be eligible for given your background.

I think you would succeed from this description but make sure your committed because it is a tonne of money t lose for dropping out half way.