Matriculation demographics by Race and Ethnicity for DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNcooley

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am getting ready for this application cycle. I am an underrepresented minority native american with tribal affiliation. I have been trying to get in to med school the past 3 years. Most threads say we have it easy getting in but that is far from the truth because last application cycle I got no interviews. My GPA is 3.5 cumulative and 3.1 science. My MCAT score for old was 21 I retook with the new version and got a 489. Realized I was rusty on my bio chem and other core courses. I retook my science classes,O chem, physics, Calculus, Bio chem, genetics, oh and finished grad school. I retook the MCAT again on 3/31 results are still pending and should be released by 5/2/17. I can only hope I got a descent score and made the 500 mark but who knows. I have experience as a nurse worked as an LPN whenI was 19 then completed my RN at 20 and have been working in ICU, Nuc Med, Case Management, etc... so many different specialties. Needless to say I'm burnt out of nursing and I don't want to go to ARNP school or CRNA school.
I have made my list for MD schools in a spread sheet with schools that are native friendly. I used the MSAR report with AMCAS and referenced the Excel spread sheets that AMCAS offers. I am in the process of trying to formulate something similar with DO schools but I am not finding and useful info on AACOM for DO schools. What I am finding is that DO schools are less transparent with their matriculation data in regards to minorities. I am finding basic information but nothing as specific (e.g. specifically # of applicants to DO schools by race and ethnicity and # of applicants matriculated by race and ethnicity). This information is readily available at AMCAS but not AACOM. I found a PDF file with some info regarding the subject on AACOM but not an excel spread sheet. The matriculation info in PDF form is at the following URL Matriculants but I am looking for this excel spread sheet at the following URL Applicants

I guess I don't get why AACOM doesn't post the info on Matriculants in an excel spreadsheet like they do for applicants. Any info on where I can find the necessary info on Matriculant demographics would greatly be appreciated. I have attached an Excel spread sheet of what I have come up with so far.Note the highlighted green portions on the MD list are schools I'm applying to that are native friendly. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MEDSCHOOL APPLICATION.xlsx
    15.1 KB · Views: 86
I understand the frustration but your mcat is so far below avg you'll need to be very lucky to get anything without significant improvement. I hope it goes well for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I understand the frustration but your mcat is so far below avg you'll need to be very lucky to get anything with significant improvement. I hope it goes well for you
Did you mean without significant improvement?? I know my MCAT score is terrible. I have considered just going to CRNA school as a plan B. But I can't I want to keep trying. This time around I paid for the Kaplan review course, a little pricey but I hope to improve significantly.

Did you mean without significant improvement?? I know my MCAT score is terrible. I have considered just going to CRNA school as a plan B. But I can't I want to keep trying. This time around I paid for the Kaplan review course, a little pricey but I hope to improve significantly.
I did mean without. Typo corrected