Matching without any pubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many publications did you have to successfully match for Hemonc fellowship?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 1-3

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 3-6

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 6+

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
D

deleted648341

Hi,
I'm a PGY-2 in one of NYC university program. It looks like i will be applying for fellowship this year without any publications. Unable to plan and execute meaningful research project due to personal circumstances and the back breaking nature of NYC IM residency. I was wondering if there are successful applicant out there without publications and volunteer to share some advice.

Med School: Top 20ish and Residency: Top to Up mid Tier. Step 1: 229 Step 2 CK 247 and Step 3 227

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can match without publications but you still need to be involved in some kind or form of research. Geez if you start now you can probably publish a small case series of some sort in a low impact journal.

And, it should go without saying, but please don't use this in your interviews as an excuse if somebody asks:

Unable to plan and execute meaningful research project due to personal circumstances and the back breaking nature of NYC IM residency.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're trying to get into an academic program, it would behoove you to at least have a project to talk about even if it hasn't resulted in a publication or presentation. My impression is that it's sort of an unwritten requirement, though to be fair most of the people in my residency who applied for anything (not just heme/onc) had some research project to at least discuss