Matched in Detroit/ where to live!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderful neurone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
I will start my residency in Detroit this upcoming july, as Im not that much familiar with Detroit city and the surrounding areas, I would really appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear All,
I will start my residency in Detroit this upcoming july, as Im not that much familiar with Detroit city and the surrounding areas, I would really appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Royal Oak is a great place to live. Good night life, not a bad commute, and fun city for young professionals. You can get to and from Henry Ford or the DMC in 20-30 minutes usually

Grosse Pointe also a good location, especially Grosse Pointe Park has reasonable rentals. Not as good for night life but it's a very nice community.

Many people like living in downtown Detroit now as well. It has changed much (for the better) since I lived there.

Reactions: 1 users
Royal Oak is a great place to live. Good night life, not a bad commute, and fun city for young professionals. You can get to and from Henry Ford or the DMC in 20-30 minutes usually

Grosse Pointe also a good location, especially Grosse Pointe Park has reasonable rentals. Not as good for night life but it's a very nice community.

Many people like living in downtown Detroit now as well. It has changed much (for the better) since I lived there.
Thank you very much I really appreciate your input...

Sinai-Grace is in a tough neighborhood to find good living, and it is a bit out of the way. It is very far west of Grosse Pointe, with no straight-shot freeway. Southfield is a short drive, but it is basically a suburban community with not a lot of night life. Royal Oak (see above) is not a great straight shot commute, as there is no great east-west straight shot. If you want to try vibrant city living, mid-town Detroit would be a good option, and would give you a fairly easy reverse commute.
Just my 2c

Reactions: 1 user
Sinai-Grace is in a tough neighborhood to find good living, and it is a bit out of the way. It is very far west of Grosse Pointe, with no straight-shot freeway. Southfield is a short drive, but it is basically a suburban community with not a lot of night life. Royal Oak (see above) is not a great straight shot commute, as there is no great east-west straight shot. If you want to try vibrant city living, mid-town Detroit would be a good option, and would give you a fairly easy reverse commute.
Just my 2c

Thank you for your valuable input, well i narrow my list to (in order) Southfield, royal oak, mid/downtown- for time being Im thinking about a place near to the hospital where I will do my trans year. once i start my advance prog. (DMC) i might relocate my shelf somewhere else near.

I currently go to school in Detroit and have rotated at Sinai. I recommend royal oak hands down. My good friends who live in royal oak (somewhat close to free way) would spend 10 to 15 mins to get there. There's barely any traffic around the area by Sinai too. One thing to keep in mind however is that Sinai requires the employees to park in a lot which is about 5 mins from the hospital so you have to factor in the parking/shuttle time to your commute.

I currently go to school in Detroit and have rotated at Sinai. I recommend royal oak hands down. My good friends who live in royal oak (somewhat close to free way) would spend 10 to 15 mins to get there. There's barely any traffic around the area by Sinai too. One thing to keep in mind however is that Sinai requires the employees to park in a lot which is about 5 mins from the hospital so you have to factor in the parking/shuttle time to your commute.

CJ thank you very much, I really do appreciate your input... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived at the Fairlane Town Center apartments in Dearborn, they were great! It's mostly a quiet community with apartments and townhouses. I came from a state with no snow, so I needed an attached garage and a community that did a good job of salting and sweeping the streets.

I lived at the Fairlane Town Center apartments in Dearborn, they were great! It's mostly a quiet community with apartments and townhouses. I came from a state with no snow, so I needed an attached garage and a community that did a good job of salting and sweeping the streets.

Thank you for your input :)

It is more what you are looking for.

Ferndale, Dearborn, Dearborn heights are all nearby. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Ferndale is you want something more hip and younger.
Dearborn Heights more suburban and blue collar.
East and West Dearborn have different pluses and minus depending on your needs.

I was very happy living both in Dearborn and Downtown. But Downtown started to get expensive. Though couldn't beat the view from 30 stories up overlooking the river and Canada.

I live in Dearborn and I can tell you that it's a pretty good commute. Food here is great, there is a social scene. I would recommend living here.

I live in Dearborn and I can tell you that it's a pretty good commute. Food here is great, there is a social scene. I would recommend living here.

I'm sure op appreciates the tip a year later

Do realize that there *might* be other people who may be interested in place to live in Detroit, especially since the match is just around the corner.
Smh

Keep shaking your head into obscurity because that's where this thread and the advice is going

Keep shaking your head into obscurity because that's where this thread and the advice is going
I was just looking for info regarding dearborn as well lol

Reactions: 1 user
I was just looking for info regarding dearborn as well lol

What about Dearborn? Not the nicest area, but not the worst area. Immigrant parents lived there for a year before I was born as my dad worked for the Big 3 and it was close to a plant. I would say not the best place to raise a family but has some decent areas and nice restaurants.

What about Dearborn? Not the nicest area, but not the worst area. Immigrant parents lived there for a year before I was born as my dad worked for the Big 3 and it was close to a plant. I would say not the best place to raise a family but has some decent areas and nice restaurants.
I ended up finding an apartment in Southgate. Can't believe I forgot to reply. I'm sorry. Thanks for the offered advice.

I ended up finding an apartment in Southgate. Can't believe I forgot to reply. I'm sorry. Thanks for the offered advice.

Awesome! Convenient as it’s close to the airport as well!