Match Stats 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y0ssarian87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year this thread was never made, so I figured I'd get it started this year. Best wishes to all tomorrow!

Things to include (suggested):
-GPA
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year)
-Geographic location (region or city if desired)
-Activities
-Leadership positions
-Community service
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy
-Work experience outside of pharmacy
-Number and type of residencies applied to
-Number of interview invites
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we please use this thread to post match stats. Another one was just created...

This header is much easier to find.

Members don't see this ad :)
Filling this one out since it was created first:

-GPA: 3.6
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Midwest
-Activities: APhA, PDC, PLS, ID research (no publications, but multiple poster presentations at ASHP, IDWeek, ASM Microbe)
-Leadership positions: committee chair in PDC + e-board position in APhA
-Community service: minimal, just organizational events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: ~3 years in retail during pharmacy school, one summer doing managed care
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 13 (did academic medical centers, integrated health systems, community hospitals)
-Number of interview invites: 10 (went to 8)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #2 choice, academic medical center in the Midwest (my #1/#2 were basically equal, only came down to location)

-GPA: 3.57
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 years
-Activities: Kappa Psi, APhA, benchwork research
-Leadership positions: None. Was involved in organizations but took on no formal leadership role.
-Community service: volunteered at inpt pharmacy, immunization clinics, blood pressure and DM screenings, worked with adolescents and educated them about pharmacy and participated in after school activities, and other various organization experiences
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: retail for 6.5 years
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: none
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9
-Number of interview invites: 4 (attended all 4)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.) matched with my second choice!

So happy to be able to contribute to the stats thread!

I've been waiting for 4 years to comment on this thread. Good luck to everyone. Got the email at 8:02 am EST

-GPA: 3.49
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Southeast
-Activities: APhA, SSHP, SNPhA, 1 publication, 4 research projects, Multiple Health Fairs, Taught Pharmacy Tech Class, Multiple Poster presentations (1 at Midyear), Awards
-Leadership positions: Chapter President of SNPhA
-Community service: Health fairs, Senior home volunteer
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 1.5 Years in retail, 1.5 years in academic medical center, summer research intern
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: none
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 17 programs ( 3 Academic medical centers, 14 Community hospitals)
-Number of interview invites:7 and went to all. Ranked all
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #2 choice, Academic Medical Center in Southeast. #1-3 were all pretty much equal in my eye

Advice: Do as much as you can during rotations and always take an initiative to learn more. Get involved in organizations and research since a good deal of questions during interviews were about these situations.

I know all the Ro chi and 3.99s are coming so here goes.
I hope many find my stats encouraging!

-GPA: 3.4
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 0-6
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Northeast
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3+ years at retail, 1+ year at outpatient clinic and inpatient pharmacy
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12, General PGY-1 track community hospital in SoCal region
-Number of interview invites: 2
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.)
: SoCal medical center

Hi can I ask you guys a question? So I matched to my number 7 choice on my list. Why would this be? The programs that I ranked 1-3 (which I truly preferred) basically hinted during the imterview that they really liked me and hope I enjoyed their program very much.

So naturally I'm bummed as to why I did not match to ANY of my previous 6 preferred choices? Please help a guy out :/

-GPA: 3.85
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): southeast
-Activities: Rho Chi, PLS , SNPhA, APhA, FSHP, 1 publication, 1 poster
-Leadership positions: CKD initiative chair SNPhA, Community Service Chair, PLS outreach liaison
-Community service: Health fairs, tutor, BP and DM screenings, homeless shelter
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: +3 years of retail experience
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: none relevant
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 7
-Number of interview invites: 4 (attended all 4)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #1 choice academic medical center in the southeast

Last edited:
Hi can I ask you guys a question? So I matched to my number 7 choice on my list. Why would this be? The programs that I ranked 1-3 (which I truly preferred) basically hinted during the imterview that they really liked me and hope I enjoyed their program very much.

So naturally I'm bummed as to why I did not match to ANY of my previous 6 preferred choices? Please help a guy out :/

...They may have really liked you, but they may have really liked others more. Be glad you matched.

Here's some evidence that GPA isn't all that's considered.
-GPA: 2.95 (3.3 undergrad)
-Activities: 7 intermural sports, 2 research projects, was in about 3 pharmacy "clubs" but not super involved in them. I did attend quit a few conferences though outside of ASHP midyear which I thought were good for networking.
-Leadership positions: 2, leader of a volunteering committee, bible study leader. In interviews I mentioned I was team captain in Hockey and Football in high school and they seemed to like stuff like that as well.
-Community service: Volunteered at 2 local underserved health clinics (about once a month each). Went on 3 medical mission trips.
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 5 years as a pharmacy tech, 2 years as a pharmacy intern, both on the inpatient side.
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: worked as a bartender, a greenhouse worker, and for a tree service.
-Number and type of residencies applied to: applied to 7 residencies. All about 400-500 beds, 4 of them were teaching hospitals, 3 were level 1 trauma centers, the others were level 2 or lower. All had teaching opportuniteis and were linked to a college of pharmacy.
-Number of interview invites: 4 interviews
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): 400 bed teaching hospital with level 1 trauma center in the midwest. #1 on my rank list.

Reactions: 2 users
-GPA: 3.66
-Activities: APhA, SNPhA, CPNP, community service projects, specialty pharmacy research, laboratory research (summer)
-Leadership positions: President (and elect) of SNPhA, Experiential Education Advisory Council, VP of CPNP, delegate of SNPhA 3 yrs
-Community service: Many service projects, volunteer work
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 2 years retail, 1.5 years outpatient, 1.5 years discharge pharmacy services, research in academic medical center
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Physicians office (high school)
-Number and type of residencies applied to: Applied to 8, mixed academic medical/tertiary care (250+ beds)
-Number of interview invites: Accepted 5
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched #1 choice

-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Southwest or Northeast
-Activities: APhA, ACCP, ASHP, SVHP, CPFI
-Leadership positions: APhA-Generation Rx co-chair, SVHP liaison officer, SVHP clinical skills coordinator
-Community service: Health fairs and organizational events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 7 years as a pharmacy technician, 2 years as a pharmacy intern, and a summer internship at a major retail pharmacy
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: None relevant
-Research experience: Presented 3 posters at national conferences, 2 publications under review
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 15 PGY1 acute care-focus programs
-Number of interview invites: 12 (declined 1), ranked 11
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): #4 choice - large medical center in Northeast affiliated with SOP.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA isn't everything, and its very frustrating when people think that it is this big deal. Residency coordinators want someone who is passionate about what they do and hardworking. Most people's GPAs (like mine), if low, is due to the first year pressures of beginning such a rigorous program and being one of those people who never had to study in undergrad, but had to learn fast P1 year. I know that I am going to be a great pharmacist because I have the passion and personality for it. Some people with these great GPAs are not great people-people. Off my soap box now because I matched with an AWESOME program after being told by other pharmacy students that it couldn't be done with my GPA.

-GPA: 2.98 (3.8 undergrad)
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): four year program with fourth year being 9-one month rotations
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Midwest, applies to home state and those directly surrounding
-Community service: a free night clinic and pharmacy a few times a semester
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: been working in the same hospital pharmacy for 3 years
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 8 or 9, do not remember entirely, but all different kinds, definitely focused on programs with a psych rotation available during the residency
-Number of interview invites:3
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched with a new program in STL which was my second ranking

-GPA: 3.0
-Activities: APhA, PDX
-Leadership positions: chapter president of APhA, a few minor national committee things
-Community service: Not really, APhA kept me busy
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3 years retail before school, worked in a hospital all of pharm school, sometimes 30 hours a week
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: n/a
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 14
-Number of interview invites: 7
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): I ranked to my number one choice at a large academic medical center in Chicago, I am ecstatic!

-GPA - 3.9
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year) - 4 yr
-Geographic location (region or city if desired) - Southeast
-Activities - Decent amount of organization activities, lots of clinical competitions
-Leadership positions - Vice Pres of our SGA, and smaller positions was the biggest probably held 2 at a time of smaller orgs.
-Community service - Moderate amount. Lots of Habitat for Humanity, presentations to kids in middle school/high school
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy - 4 years inpatient tech
-Work experience outside of pharmacy - Tutored undergrad/pharmacy school students, taught undergrad labs
-Number and type of residencies applied to - Applied to 9 (6 of them being Level 1 trauma centers)
-Number of interview invites - 6 interviews and accepted all of them
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.) Ranked all six, and matched with my #1. Large level 1 trauma center in the Southeast

Tip for interviews: Relax, make them laugh (don't make a standup routine or anything like that) but be personable. Also, there is a huge difference in $45 hotels depending on geographic region you travel to....It may be wise to spend a little extra $$

-GPA: 3.39
-Activities: APO Professional Service Fraternity, Phi Dex, APhA, ASHP, SCCP, local state pharmacy association
-Leadership positions: Phi Dex (5 positions), SCCP (1 position), 2 leadership development programs
-Community service: Lots through my service fraternity (15 hours per semester) and through Phi Dex
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Pharmacy technician (2 summers), pharmacy intern at a small independent store (3 years)
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Writer for student newspaper, teaching assistant for 1 semester
-Number and type of residencies applied to: Applied to 11 general PGY1 in 3 states (all out-of-state from where I went to school)
-Number of interview invites: Invited to 4, interviewed at all of them
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched with my #2 in the south, it is a perfect match for me!

Been waiting 4 years for this post! For those students at a relatively newer pharmacy school (my class is the 4th graduating class), I was very satisfied with my results!

-GPA: 3.45
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Northeast
-Activities: APhA, SSHP, SCCP, Kappa Psi, PLS,
-Leadership positions: APhA-ASP chapter president, PLS Vice President, PLS Historian, co-founder of a mentor program, Class Vice President
-Community service: Habitat for humanity, immunization tables, drug drop off events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3.5 years inpatient pharmacy intern, 3.5 years independent pharmacy intern, 1.5 years pharmacy technician, worked ~30 hours during school
-Research experience: 1 poster presentation during my P3 year and 3 projects in progress (1 case series and 2 retrospective chart reviews )
-Number and type of residencies applied to: Applied to 9 general PGY-1 in 5 states
-Number of interview invites: 6
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Ranked all 6 and matched with my #1, a 400 bed teaching hospital in the northeast!

Only including for the sake of showing that it is possible to get a residency when you don't have pharmacy work experience outside of rotations!

-GPA: 3.5
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): from southeast, but looked everywhere.
-Leadership positions: several positions in KE, ACCP, and APhA
-Community service: health fairs, health screenings and educational events at local elementary schools, regular volunteer at local animal shelter, LOTs of volunteering in undergrad in various hospital settings.
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: research internship in pharmaceutical sciences, but no direct pharmacy work experience.
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: camp counselor, statistics tutor
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 14 -- 9 freestanding pediatric hospitals, 5 larger medical centers with strong rotations in pediatrics.
-Number of interview invites: 8, attended 6.
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched at a pediatric hospital in the southeast that was 3rd on my rank list! I am incredibly excited :)

-GPA: 4.0
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year distance (Creighton University)
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Central TX
-Activities:
-Leadership positions: class board (pres x 3 years), APhA committee chair (various), School of Pharmacy faculty committee student representative
-Community service: limited, as req by school
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: CVS intern x 2 year (infreq hrs during school year), VA VALOR intern x 1.5 years
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: previous career-secondary science teacher x 7 years
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 2-teaching hospital and VA
-Number of interview invites: 2-accepted both
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched at VA, #1 ranked choice

Non-traditional candidate. Graduated c/o 2016 and didn't match that year, even applying for Match Round II. I've been working with a large chain pharmacy since I've graduated and I managed to match this year with my #1 choice this year, which was one of the programs I interviewed with last year. Don't give up hope if you didn't match! If it's what you really want to do, you can do it.

-GPA: 3.3
-Leadership positions: RC Secretary, CS Chair for Rx fraternity
-Community service: limited to activities with APhA and ASHP, SOP student interview committee
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: did not work during school, worked a little as a technician before school
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12
-Number of interview invites: 4
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): matched with my #1 ranked program in the Midwest

-Geographic location (region or city if desired): East coast/south
-Activities: 2 posters presented at 2 different conferences. One was a DUE research project.
-Leadership positions: Nothing much...class rep for PSHP and committee chair of another organization
-Community service: Limited. Listed events that I had to accumulate from school
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 7 years in retail. No hospital experience.
-Work experience outside of pharmacy- Nothing worth noting
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12
-Number of interview invites: 3
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #2 choice. Large teaching hospital with a lot of critical care on the east coast.

**I had applied to a lot of big-name programs after getting advice from a clinical preceptors that these were within my reach. My advice is to apply broadly because almost all of these were rejections for me. I think this had to do with some programs having a GPA cut-off (I heard 3.6 for a few big programs), as well as not much leadership experience, no publications, and no hospital work experience. What I did have going for me were strong LORs, various posters/research including a DUE, and choosing clinical electives during my P3 year and in my APPEs. Getting so many rejections was HARD. But ultimately I ended up at the exact type of program I wanted.....so just trudge through it and remember that many rejections are common!

-GPA 3.76
-Type of PharmD program: 4 year
-Geographic location Midwest
-Activities: APhA, ASHP, SCCP, Rho chi, clinical skills competition (won local comp, competed at mid year)
-Leadership position: SCCP treasurer
-Community service: various volunteer events through orgs listed above
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 2 years retail, 2 years hospital as a clinical intern (this was my biggest strength)
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: irrelevant
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 15
-Number of interview invites: 6, attended 5
-Where you actually matched: my number one, large teaching hospital/level 1 trauma center in the Midwest!

I had 0 research, which was my biggest hole. But I used my strengths (work experience and the references that came from it) to my advantage. I also think interviews went well. I would say play to your strengths and try and do something that stands out, even if you don't tick every box. If you have a rotation at a site you may apply, work your ass off.

Last edited:
-GPA: 3.8
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): From Southeast, looked everywhere
-Activities: Two research projects, poster at Midyear, 1 publication, course content developer, global rotation, ASHP/APhA, state pharmacy association, NPCC x 2, Honors, mentoring program for pre-pharm students
-Leadership positions: Patient education group leader for a free clinic
-Community service: Volunteering at free health clinics, health fairs, patient education groups
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Unpaid inpatient pharmacy intern - 8 months, TA
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Nothing relevant
-Number and type of residencies applied to: Applied to 15, mostly large academic medical centers, a few community teaching hospitals
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched to #1, large academic medical center

Pretty sure my lack of work experience got me the majority of my rejections, but don't give up! Supplement your weaknesses with your strengths. Be passionate about pharmacy and don't be afraid to be yourself/be funny during interviews. Being a normal person and not a robot is a really good thing. And if you're not confident in recommending treatments, I'd brush up on major disease states (diabetes, DVT ppx/txt, MI, Stroke, CKD, HF, CAP/HAP, sepsis) before interview season.

-GPA: 3.83
-Type of PharmD program: 4 year
-Geographic location: Midwest, applied everywhere
-Activities: ACCP president, student liason, ASHP member, Rho Chi, PLS, Founded new interprofessional organization, started mentoring program at my college between 1st and 3rd years, conducted organ donation challenge, 2 research projects, 3 poster presentations (2 ACCP, 1 ASHP), tutor, clinical skills competition
-Leadership positions: as above
-Community service: charitable pharmacy, some church festivals
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3 years in an inpatient VA pharmacy
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: supervisor of ~50 employees with pool company, worked for ~ 5 years during high school/undergrad
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 11, all large academic medical centers with associated colleges of pharmacy
-Number of interview invites: 10 1/2 (received one phone interview but did not receive on site)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): PGY1 hospital, next to the Rocky Mountains, #2 on my list, absolutely ecstatic about it! (debated switching them to number 1, worked out in the end)

When I asked people what they wanted in a resident, the predominant answer I received was well rounded candidate. And as generic an answer that may be, I tried to make sure I had a little bit of everything on my CV. Doing a little bit of everything and saying yes to any opportunity that came my way was what I did to rack up a number of experiences, which then provided me plenty to talk about in my LOI, interviews, etc. There is also a great article in AJHP about screening tools used by residencies titled: Residency application screening tools: A survey of academic medical centers. Good read that provides some insight into the other side of the process and what programs value the most.

-GPA: 3.14
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Anywhere
-Activities: NCPA, ASHP, PDX, APhA (1 yr), mobile screening clinic, poster (DUE project presented at midyear)
-Leadership positions: NCPA VP, Community service chair
-Community service: Health fairs, health clinics, donations, blood drives, community service events (activities, education boards, awareness, etc.)
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 6 years in community (worked ~25 hours/wk during school)
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: moot
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12 (1 community - really good program, rest general)
-Number of interview invites: 2 (1 general, 1 community at the good program)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Did not match

Congrats to all who matched -- I'll be the dark cloud in this thread that didn't make it. Personally, felt like I had a fairly competitive profile to make up for my GPA; worked 25 hrs a week, stayed active, leadership, at least 2 community service events a month. I feel GPA was the main factor missing the preliminary screenings for most programs -- don't think a lot of them bothered looking at my application past that. My LORs were solid (ID pharmacist, employer, and faculty -- all whom I trust). Showed my application, letter of intent, and CV to my advisor who served on a committee before -- said my app was overall competitive and was well-rounded. Can't wrap my head around it, and not sure what I'm going to do over these next few months to highlight my strengths even more to apply again.

One incident came up during interviews that I think may have affected my screening process -- they asked me "you received a 'D' in x course, why did this happen and how did you learn from it?" In reality, I never received a 'D.' I sent them a copy of a clearer, unofficial transcript directly from my school and it seems the scanned copy they received made a 'B' look like a 'D'. I called PhorCAS, they agreed the copy looked like the incorrect grade, they said they would rescan the transcript before round 2; not sure if they ever did -- zero invites for round 2. To think, if I didn't even receive that interview and was asked that question, I would've never known.

Down, and disappointed, but not out. Good luck everyone.

A little late to the party, but here's what I got.

-GPA: 3.79
-Activities: Rho Chi, extracurricular project with hospital I work at
-Leadership positions: Rho Chi Secretary
-Community service: Not much. Volunteered at a dementia home
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3 years at large community hospital in the Southeast
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Logistics/dispatch, research assistant
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9 (a few high end prestigious programs with smaller programs- a good mix)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Large academic medical center in Southeast with Level I Trauma. My #1 choice.

Last edited:
-GPA: 3.70
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 0-6 program
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Midwest, STL
-Activities: SNPhA, APhA, Rho Chi, tutoring, bench research (cell signaling) x 3 years
-Leadership positions: initiative chair in SNPhA x 1 year
-Community service: various health fairs, vaccine clinics, outreach events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: retail x 3 years
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9 (PGY 1 at varied, large academic hospitals, some community hospitals)
-Where you actually matched : medium-sized community/teaching hospital in STL, my #1 choice :)

-GPA: 3.94
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 years - satellite campus
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Western North Carolina
-Activities: 3 publications; 6 posters; NCAP, SNPhA, ACCP, ASHP, Rho Chi
-Leadership positions: Satellite liaison in SNPhA (coordinated between main campus and satellite campus), Government Affairs Head in NCAP
-Community service: volunteered 175+ hours in a free clinic; > 20 other events for school
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: hospital pharmacy technician in emergency department x 1.2 years before applications were sent in
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Restaurant work x 10 years
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 14; 12 teaching hospitals; 2 community hospitals
-Number of interview invites: 11; attended 10
-Where you actually matched : Teaching hospital - my number 1 choice

Current P3's, P2's, and P1's, please take this advice:

1.) Get to work - the interviewers love experience. If you can, GET INTO A HOSPITAL. Retail experience is better than nothing, but if you are interviewing for a hospital residency, of course, hospital experience trumps retail experience.

2.) Keep your grades as good as possible. Some programs have cut-offs (i.e. we will only look at candidates with a GPA > 3.65), while others do not have as strict of a cut-off. When applying, you do not know which programs do this.

3.) Start asking faculty/preceptors to help with research or publications as early as possible. I did not get my first publication until my 4th year of school, as well as 4 additional posters. Even if you cannot begin at the beginning of pharmacy school, you have already planted it in your professors minds that you want to help. They will remember that come P3 and P4 year when you ask again.

4.) Volunteer as much as possible! Help out your community!

5.) Take the most challenging clinical rotations as possible. Also, make sure these rotations are diverse (i.e. do not take two infectious diseases rotations).

6.) Attempt to get letters of recommendation from individuals who know you longer than just 1 rotation. I used 3 professors that I rotated with during my 4th year that knew me between 2-3 years before writing my letters. They had much more to speak on than someone who would have known me for 4 weeks. Amazing letters of recommendation (not generic) are huge!! I truly believe these are what helped me with the institutions that I received interview offers from.

7.) Talk to your faculty/preceptors/supervisors of where you are interested in applying. More than likely, they know someone who is involved with the residency program (maybe even the program director). I had professors/supervisors who did not write my letters of recommendation ask me if they could send the program directors a personal email/text.

8.) Do not turn down an opportunity that will make you a better candidate. If someone tells you that they need help with a publication, I do not care how many tests/work that you have to do. Make it happen!

***** I did not go to a school that is very well known (ranked ~80th in the country), nor was I able to rotate at the best hospitals (all but two of my rotations were in small community hospitals with < 200 beds). Also, I always thought that my lack of "important" leadership positions (i.e. I was never president of an organization) would hurt me during the application process. Do not stress things that you cannot control. Do everything that you can to better yourself, not just as an applicant, but as a future pharmacist. I received interviews at some of the top programs in the country, with the lacking of the 3 things that I listed above. Work hard, and do not sell yourself short because of where you think you stand in the current application pool. Do all that you can, and MAKE SURE that you apply to the programs that you think that you cannot get into, if you really want to go there. If you take my advice and do as much as you can with the things that I listed above, you will be surprised when you get those amazing interview offers.

Good luck to the future applicants, and I hope this reaches and helps at least one student!!!

-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): Direct accelerated 6 year program (straight from high school)
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Boston, MA
-Activities: ASHP (w/ Leadership Position), Research and Poster Presentation at ASHP Midyear, NCPA Business Plan Competition
-Leadership positions: Membership Chairman of ASHP 2015-2016
-Community service: Volunteered at a few hospitals in my first 3 years of the 6 year PharmD program
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 2 hospital pharmacy jobs
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: None
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 8
-Where you actually matched : 1st choice in state of WA (Large Community Teaching Hospital)

-GPA- 3.2
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year)- 4 year (top 5 program nationally, might have helped? Doubt it)
-Activities- basically nothing... not on any e-boards, did a frat for one year, and that was basically it besides just going to apha meetings
-Leadership positions- TA for pharmaceutics, did a couple of random things just to put on a CV
-Community service- church, a couple of soup kitchens
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy- 5 years in an outpatient cancer center (I think this is what helped me most, if you can work some place interesting out of retail- DO IT)
-Number and type of residencies applied to- 10
-Number of interview invites- 4
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, where it was on your rank list, etc.)- #1 ranked, large teaching hospital in a large city

If your GPA sucks after the 1st year, don't panic- just work your butt off. After P1 year I only had a 2.6 GPA... 2.6. Try to get a unique work experience if at all possible. Just call places. Another thing that helped me was during my 4th year I worked with a preceptor to get an article published through a pharmacy journal. So much easier than it sounds... basically just a more extensive literature review than what you would do in school. All I did was ask my preceptor if they had any research topics that they could think of. Good luck!

My first post in years as a long-time lurker xD

-GPA: 3.47
-Type of PharmD program: 4 year program, top 20 ranking
-Geographic location: West Coast or Midwest
-Activities: Non-clinical but science related publication, posters, and research, AMCP P&T competition (placed), PDC
-Leadership positions: Financially related positions
-Community service: Through other organization health fairs over the four years of my program
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Two years community
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 8 (6 competitive programs like Mayo that can probably do a GPA cut off)
-Number of interview invites: 2 (none from the competitive programs)
-Where you actually matched: First choice in the Midwest in Phase I

Other info: Midyear felt like a huge waste of money to me. There is nothing that you won't find out at your interview. If you're looking to narrow down where you should even apply, I felt the websites were very well made for the programs that cared about recruiting good candidates.

I also did not fluff my CV. I felt like everyone does a journal club and presentation for every rotation in their clinical year, and putting this on your CV would be an eye-sore to residency directors. I was also interviewing for industrial fellowships, and was told fluffing your CV for these applications will get you drilled on your fellowship interview. After getting declined for my interviews, I felt that maybe I should have put my presentations and projects for each APPE on my CV for residency applications.

-GPA: 3.46
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): the DC tri-state area
-Activities: APhA, PDC, PLS, ASHP, SGA, school curriculum committee, many others
-Leadership positions: in every organization I was in other than PLS, I was either a Chair, VP, Treasurer, Webmaster, something. Never president though
-Community service: Plenty related to school organizations (like can drives, fundraisers, health fairs), but also some fundraisers outside of school
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: CVS for a few years in undergrad, then a local hospital chain throughout pharmacy school. Also did some summer internships
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: some customer service/retail stuff when I was in high school
-Number and type of residencies applied to: all general PGY-1's, applied to 6
-Where you actually matched: first choice in Maryland

-GPA: 3.5
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): DC/Maryland/Virginia
-Activities: Did research with a faculty for two years, PDC, APhA, PLS, ASHP
-Leadership positions: Webmaster for multiple organizations, class officer, co-chair for committees
-Community service: Participated in at least one community service event per semester throughout pharmacy school and also volunteered to help homeless animals
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Worked for retail pharmacy since undergrad and throughout pharmacy school. No hospital experience.
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Worked for a restaurant during high school
-Number and type of residencies applied to: Applied to 6 general pharmacy PGY1s (2 unaccredited, 4 accredited)
-Where you actually matched: 2nd choice in the DMV area